2021 MLB Postseason Thread

SodaPopinski

Refugee
why not? just because its 9 and we don't see that in any other sport?

Baseball more than any other is based on length

imagine the epic 9 game series that we would see.. wouldn't be often but it would happen
each round of 9 games series' would take two weeks

an epic Game 9 world series showdown on november 30th in 25 degree weather! baseball like it ought to be

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
Nah, fuck all that noise stepping at Slog and me.

Nine games makes total sense. It's better and smarter. It's just that we've had centuries of "Game Seven" building cache.

In 1921, the Giants beat the Yankees in Game Eight of the World Series. The Negro Leagues played a nine-game series, too.

Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint, then we get to the post season and it's a one-game playoff, then best of five, then best of seven? Throw in more off days in the playoffs than anyone ever has in the regular season and it's a totally different animal.

That's garbage. If you build a team to be the best in the regular season, it should not be inferior in the post-season because of how the postseason is played.

It's absolute garbage to have the 2019 Nationals win the World Series because they can throw their top three starters and closer in 64% of innings in the playoffs (91.2 of 144 innings) after throwing them 44% of the time in the regular season (643.1 of 1439.1).

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
"I mean, here we are surprising everybody but ourselves," Hernandez said. "We knew in spring training we had the team to make it this far and here we are."

Yes, Kike, no one thought the team with the FOURTH HIGHEST PAYROLL IN MLB COULD MAKE THE FINAL FOUR TEAMS.

We all thought the Rays, who beat you for the division with $104 million LESS IN PAYROLL THAN YOU, were too much for you to handle! Congratulations!

robardin

Older East Asian dude seeing both sides
"I mean, here we are surprising everybody but ourselves," Hernandez said. "We knew in spring training we had the team to make it this far and here we are."

Yes, Kike, no one thought the team with the FOURTH HIGHEST PAYROLL IN MLB COULD MAKE THE FINAL FOUR TEAMS.

We all thought the Rays, who beat you for the division with $104 million LESS IN PAYROLL THAN YOU, were too much for you to handle! Congratulations!
Eh, payroll has little to do with it

Per Spotrac, The 2021 Red Sox were #5 in payroll - the Mets were #3 in MLB, and the highest in the NL

And the March 2021 odds for winning the WS had the Red Sox at 19th of 30 teams, a money line of +4500

Basically, of all the teams in the top half (15 teams) in MLB payrolls, the Red Sox were given the second least respect (even the Angels and Phillies were +3500)

The least respect was given to the 2021 SF Giants, who were given as much chance to win the WS as the Orioles! (+11000)

So in some sense I'd love to see a Red Sox/Giants WS, someone out there could get really rich for no good reason at all!

sross07

Veteran Refugee
Eh, payroll has little to do with it

Per Spotrac, The 2021 Red Sox were #5 in payroll - the Mets were #3 in MLB, and the highest in the NL

And the March 2021 odds for winning the WS had the Red Sox at 19th of 30 teams, a money line of +4500

Basically, of all the teams in the top half (15 teams) in MLB payrolls, the Red Sox were given the second least respect (even the Angels and Phillies were +3500)

The least respect was given to the 2021 SF Giants, who were given as much chance to win the WS as the Orioles! (+11000)

So in some sense I'd love to see a Red Sox/Giants WS, someone out there could get really rich for no good reason at all!

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Brewers have gone full Mets with their offense during this series so the Braves don't need to worry about losing a bat

Ikeyman3

Refugee
Have this astros game on in the background and its three hours into a 5-1 game and its only the top of the 6th. Borderline unwatchable. Both starters combined for 6.2 innings.

Supremedawg

Making Refugees Great Again
Administrator
Have this astros game on in the background and its three hours into a 5-1 game and its only the top of the 6th. Borderline unwatchable. Both starters combined for 6.2 innings.
I can count with one hand the number of players I really know on these 2 teams.

Man, this is going to be Houston's 5th straight year in the ALCS. Did not realize that. Would have guessed third or fourth time in the last five years, not all five.