30 for 30: Once Upon a Time In Queens - IGT

Hass

MR’s Anthony Bourdain
It's never gonna be like that again.

Even if they win.

These are different times.
We had tix in field Level 128 down the left field line...place was rocking all season long. Doing lines right on our seats on a little piece of polished driftwood...wandering around afterwards going bar to bar. Worked at Prudential at the time in the easiest job I ever had. Just no pressure at all, no responsibility, a great team to watch and no internet.

DennisCook

Refugee
I recorded all seven games on vhs. Watched them a million times. They even had these special songs written for the winner and the loser played to a montage of a highlights at the end.
One was called “Just don’t look in my eyes.” For Boston because they lost and they were crying because they’re babies.
I wasn’t born yet but the tape got lots of play growing up. The song you mention is by Kenny Rogers and the Mets’ song was “Limelight” by Alan Parsons Project.

Funky Boobster

Still Strokes His Mom's Pussy
We have an interesting group of people on this site. People who want their team to win so badly that they want players to do whatever it takes. Come out and talk about how everyone should take PEDs. Who cares? Whatever it takes. They secretly want scrappy badasses who will get in the heads of opposing players, but then recoil at the first signs of bad press and publicity. We want our players to be outgoing and animated, and we love it when the other team hates them. We want flawed players because they're fun to root for. Just don't make any sideways comments, or get pulled over for DUI, or get arrested for anything. Then you need to get the fuck off the team. Bad guy.

That team was loaded with questionable characters. Not sure how many actual "bad guys" there were (Lenny was certainly a legit bad guy), but definitely many, many highly questionable characters. People with flaws. Some people who's flaws were magnified by that era. Some people who allowed themselves to develop new flaws and lose control of their lives. But for the fans who actually got to see these guys play, and were fortunate enough to live during that time period, they were pure entertainment. Nobody should ever look up to any of them. Nobody should ever try to emulate them. But we continue to love what they achieved in large part because of how they achieved it. Marvel heroes became more popular than DC heroes because they were flawed. People get tired of seeing golden boy Superman save the day over and over and all without ever having a single hair out of place. These fuckin guys won it all while kicking dirt in your face. And because that sucked for everyone else, it was amazing for us. Because we never got to feel that powerful. It was an amazing feeling, and it's a feeling that we get to experience often when we relive those experiences by discussing them or watching documentaries like this.

Some of you were wondering how much meat was left on this bone? Now you know. All of us want another WS title to enjoy and live off of for another few decades. All of us want to make new memories off of the many amazing stories that rise out of the season that eventually turns into "the ONE". But until then we can continue to occasionally revisit the past and think about what a great time it was. And if you're a Mets fan who's sick and tired of the '86 Mets (or even the '69 Mets), then you can go fuck yourself. Because they're still part of the team that you supposedly root for.

And BTW, you all want guys like that on this fucking team. You want to root for assholes like Mitchell and Straw and Knight. You want to feel that kind of power as a fan. To know that you are unquestionably the best team in baseball, and there aint a damn thing any other player on any other team can do about that. Because while their flames may not burn the longest, they do burn the brightest. And sometimes that's a lot more fun than having a bunch of choir boys who win 2-3 titles over a short period of time (although I'll fuckin take that too).

MoMoneyMoProblems

"Payroll Support, at your service!"
We had tix in field Level 128 down the left field line...place was rocking all season long. Doing lines right on our seats on a little piece of polished driftwood...wandering around afterwards going bar to bar. Worked at Prudential at the time in the easiest job I ever had. Just no pressure at all, no responsibility, a great team to watch and no internet.
A guy that worked for my dad had field level season tickets down the RF line, right behind the WALLLLLY sign. I spent my whole summer there. I was at Game 1 of the WS, and one of the NLCS games.

I can still remember people openly smoking cigarettes in the middle of the game from their seats and shit.

Everything was so raw and uncontrolled.

It was amazing.

Willie777

Singing Country Music for God and America
We need to compile a list of the biggest fucks in baseball and get as many as possible...excluding Bauer.

METS LEGIONS

It’s good to be the fantasy drama queen
We have an interesting group of people on this site. People who want their team to win so badly that they want players to do whatever it takes. Come out and talk about how everyone should take PEDs. Who cares? Whatever it takes. They secretly want scrappy badasses who will get in the heads of opposing players, but then recoil at the first signs of bad press and publicity. We want our players to be outgoing and animated, and we love it when the other team hates them. We want flawed players because they're fun to root for. Just don't make any sideways comments, or get pulled over for DUI, or get arrested for anything. Then you need to get the fuck off the team. Bad guy.

That team was loaded with questionable characters. Not sure how many actual "bad guys" there were (Lenny was certainly a legit bad guy), but definitely many, many highly questionable characters. People with flaws. Some people who's flaws were magnified by that era. Some people who allowed themselves to develop new flaws and lose control of their lives. But for the fans who actually got to see these guys play, and were fortunate enough to live during that time period, they were pure entertainment. Nobody should ever look up to any of them. Nobody should ever try to emulate them. But we continue to love what they achieved in large part because of how they achieved it. Marvel heroes became more popular than DC heroes because they were flawed. People get tired of seeing golden boy Superman save the day over and over and all without ever having a single hair out of place. These fuckin guys won it all while kicking dirt in your face. And because that sucked for everyone else, it was amazing for us. Because we never got to feel that powerful. It was an amazing feeling, and it's a feeling that we get to experience often when we relive those experiences by discussing them or watching documentaries like this.

Some of you were wondering how much meat was left on this bone? Now you know. All of us want another WS title to enjoy and live off of for another few decades. All of us want to make new memories off of the many amazing stories that rise out of the season that eventually turns into "the ONE". But until then we can continue to occasionally revisit the past and think about what a great time it was. And if you're a Mets fan who's sick and tired of the '86 Mets (or even the '69 Mets), then you can go fuck yourself. Because they're still part of the team that you supposedly root for.

And BTW, you all want guys like that on this fucking team. You want to root for assholes like Mitchell and Straw and Knight. You want to feel that kind of power as a fan. To know that you are unquestionably the best team in baseball, and there aint a damn thing any other player on any other team can do about that. Because while their flames may not burn the longest, they do burn the brightest. And sometimes that's a lot more fun than having a bunch of choir boys who win 2-3 titles over a short period of time (although I'll fuckin take that too).
PREACH!!!!!!!!

SnoopRonnyRon

Preach on! I couldn't have said it any better.

METS LEGIONS

It’s good to be the fantasy drama queen
Replay of part 1 and 2 on espn 2 at midnight you younglings brush up on GREATNESS
WHAT A REAL KILLING DOMINATING BASEBALL TEAM LOOKLIKE!!!!

not these fugazi soft ass weak mental midgets

Ballpark_Frankx

Bunting for Backman
I recorded all seven games on vhs. Watched them a million times. They even had these special songs written for the winner and the loser played to a montage of a highlights at the end.
One was called “Just don’t look in my eyes.” For Boston because they lost and they were crying because they’re babies.
Still have all 7 WS games but also the entire NLCS and ALCS which were also the best of the best.... all on Beta Max. Still have em. Bought it special for that entire post season.

jimmigan

Veteran Refugee
Still have all 7 WS games but also the entire NLCS and ALCS which were also the best of the best.... all on Beta Max. Still have em. Bought it special for that entire post season.
I Recorded Bob Murphy's play-by-play on the radio while I was recording the games on VHS. Murphy's call of Billy Hatcher's HR to tie game 6 of the LCS is an amazing call and gives me goose bumps every time I play it. Of course, that wouldn't be the case if the Mets didn't eventually win that game and I may have never listened to it again.... Anyway, the way he called it was just so good to capture the moment. Murph didn't even talk for about 30-40 seconds after his amazing call as the crowd rocked the Astrodome.

Two innings later with Jesse Orosco STILL on the mound with the tying and winning runs on base Murphy said something like this, which I believe was just after Hernandez said he was going to kill someone (during a mound visit) if Jesse threw another fastball:

"This is heart-stopping baseball, pulsating baseball. No one has sat down for the last three innings! And how does Orosco stand it? ....... 3 & 2, what will he do..... Swing and a Miss, Swing and a Miss, Struck Heeem Out, Struck Heeem Out!!! "The Mets have won it! They are in the World Series Saturday night at Shea"

"And somewhere on the bottom of that pile is a very brave young man and his name is Jesse Orosco"

Last edited:

GRANDSTRANDED

Lindor’s Bitch
I loved Ojeda talking about the Cooters incident. After the team bailed them out of jail, they come into the clubhouse the next day and there were bars of soap and bars taped to the front of their lockers. “We were treated like hero’s..”

GRANDSTRANDED

Lindor’s Bitch
I went to a ton of Met, Jet, Ranger or Knicks games. Had season tixs for the Jets and Rangers.
Never went without at least a gram vial in my pocket. Crazy times.

Spadanko

Manipulates time and space to tell us everything b
that video of Mookie getting hit in the face is rough.

Also, the double play Keith turns w Carter at 3B is a fucking unreal play

Reactions: fgh