A Proposed Mets Strategy for 2022

ROACH 33

Veteran Refugee
Please keep Baez and Stroman. Those are my two priorities if I’m the Mets.
Nimmo, Alonso, Lindor, Baez, McCann are fine. It’s hard to imagine Dom and McNeil have any value now so I’d just keep them. Conforto, same idea. I’m kind of looking forward to Cano.
No thoughts on the rest.
My only thought on the pitching is maybe make Thor the closer. Diaz is better suited for mid-game fireman.
zero% chance that happens

PapaToe

Butthurt Boomer
let's presume:
1. that they re-sign Baez...he is a special player at bat, in the field, and on the base paths.
He quite likely has the best baseball instincts and baseball I.Q. I have ever seen. Besides, stellar middle infield defense is essential for a team with championship aspirations.
2. Conforto is gone as a FA...we love him, but he was the biggest offensive let-down this season and RF needs to be open for a more consistent hitter.
3. there is a universal DH, and that's where we stick Cano, who we are stuck with.
4. Villar is gone as a FA...to somewhere that will play him every day, and we need an bigger bat upgrade at 3B anyway.
4. Of the players under contract, Dom and J.D. (who both had bad years) need to stay on the bench as the L & R pinch hitters, McNeil (who had a bad year) could be a full-time IF-OF utility man, and our catchers need to remain unchanged despite McCann's disappointing season. What choice do we have.
This would allow us to add a 3B, and two OFs. With the right acquisitions, that could really boost the offense when added to Nimmo, Lindor, Alfonso, Baez, & DH Cano.
Singling out Conforto as to why the offense sucked this year seems to be the common take here. In reality, Lindor's numbers were nearly identical to Conforto's. If all you're doing is replacing Conforto, and resigning an inconsistent Baez to what will be a relatively $$ contract.... I wouldn't expect much to change on the offensive front.

amazin port

Refugee
Singling out Conforto as to why the offense sucked this year seems to be the common take here. In reality, Lindor's numbers were nearly identical to Conforto's. If all you're doing is replacing Conforto, and resigning an inconsistent Baez to what will be a relatively $$ contract.... I wouldn't expect much to change on the offensive front.
I'll agree that it wasnt just Conforto and picking on individuals missed the facts that:
a) So many of the roster were way down on their career SLG figures (only Villar, Pillar and Baez exceeding)....was it the unjuiced ball, not when you compare to the everyday players on the Braves and Phills.
b) Our getting on base was fine (especially with no outs), however the figures (and our ranking) declines with every out, progression around the base, until we get to RISP were we look scared to swing the bat.

However, I must say it does make a change having someone who'll swing for the fences and take chances....having Baez 5th/6th and giving license to swing has been one of the only bright aspects of Aug/Sep.

PapaToe

Butthurt Boomer
Lol @ swinging for the fences being the answer for this team. That's the approach that netted the 27th place in Runs Per Game in the league. This team needs more table setters. Someone needs to be on base when the uppercuts occasionally deliver.

amazin port

Refugee
Lol @ swinging for the fences being the answer for this team. That's the approach that netted the 27th place in Runs Per Game in the league. This team needs more table setters. Someone needs to be on base when the uppercuts occasionally deliver.
Definitely, but Conforto doesnt fit either criteria.

PapaToe

Butthurt Boomer
...and Lindor does? Nimmo is the one guy that understood his role in the lineup. 2-8, not so much.

Supremedawg

Making Refugees Great Again
Administrator
The only teams that weren't in the top 15 in the league in HRs that made the playoffs were the Brewers and White Sox at 18th and 19th. And the 2 teams that barely missed out were the Jays and Mariners at 1st and 13th. You can't win in the modern game without hitting HRs.

amazin port

Refugee
...and Lindor does? Nimmo is the one guy that understood his role in the lineup. 2-8, not so much.
The issue was more about the approach to hitting with 2 outs and RISP...and imo line-up construction.
If you want to look at Lindors splits, he's got far better numbers with runners on, (and in RISP) than bases empty.
Idea world is to have a 1/2 Nimmo and Marte and then give Alonso/Lindor and Baez the freedom to hit (convinced they are overly coached on approach... which is restricting the AB"s).

snortimer

I wonder if they could expand Hefner's duties and let him manage the entire game, taking over from Rojas.
Still would be awesome if he wore a smoking jacket robe and had a few blondes around him (not including Syndergaard).

Lindor’s a Met, and struggled a bit in his first year here, not unusual. But he seemed to stick with it instead of chumping out, a great sign for a high dollar signing here. Some can handle NYC, some can’t.

Rather than continuing to find fault with Lindor everyone here should be burning sage all winter while praying for him to have a “take NYC by storm” year for 2022.

amazin port

Refugee
Lindor’s a Met, and struggled a bit in his first year here, not unusual. But he seemed to stick with it instead of chumping out, a great sign for a high dollar signing here. Some can handle NYC, some can’t.

Rather than continuing to find fault with Lindor everyone here should be burning sage all winter while praying for him to have a “take NYC by storm” year for 2022.
Just need to use Lindor in a way that best helps the team, hitting 3rd or 4th, and looking for RBI's rather than hitting 2nd, imo.

amazin port

Refugee
Maybe. Judge does just fine batting 2nd, if NL goes to DH batting 2nd good. Guy leading off needs a high OBP
I think you've missed the point. The reason for batting Lindor 3rd or 4th is that his figures with players on base are far superior than when bases are empty, which would lead me think his skill is hitting in such circumstances....two table setters at 1 and 2 gives a greater chance to get at least one player on base and a MUCH greater chance getting him up with a runner on second as Nimmo doesnt steal bases.

As regards to Judge he bats second because he's playing in the ball park that gives HR's for infield fly balls, you want your HR hitters at the top of the order.....the lack of small ball runs in that park could well make an argument for batting him lead off.

I think you've missed the point. The reason for batting Lindor 3rd or 4th is that his figures with players on base are far superior than when bases are empty, which would lead me think his skill is hitting in such circumstances....two table setters at 1 and 2 gives a greater chance to get at least one player on base and a MUCH greater chance getting him up with a runner on second as Nimmo doesnt steal bases.

As regards to Judge he bats second because he's playing in the ball park that gives HR's for infield fly balls, you want your HR hitters at the top of the order.....the lack of small ball runs in that park could well make an argument for batting him lead off.
I get the point. If the NL adopts DH, the bottom of the lineup gets set entirely different. Often the #1 or 2 hitter comes up a second time with men on base. Batting 2nd or 3rd means potentially more at bats. The concept of “clean up” is from a different time.

amazin port

Refugee
I get the point. If the NL adopts DH, the bottom of the lineup gets set entirely different. Often the #1 or 2 hitter comes up a second time with men on base. Batting 2nd or 3rd means potentially more at bats. The concept of “clean up” is from a different time.
Not when we've got a McCann in the line up.
It's not a different time, it's a different emphasis.... it's a matter of quantity or quality whether you want more AB's in situations not to his liking or a few AB's but with more opportunities with RISP.