Arbitration Projections

Daft Punk

Proudly brewing Corona Virus since 2020
New plan, sign Thor to a 5 year deal but make him go the John Smoltz route. Next year he's the closer and works his way back into the rotation the following year! Problem solved!!!
I'd honestly be down with this if our starting pitching situation didn't scare the hell out of me.

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered
were mostly stuck with him, regardless of the scenarios that can play out. the team wont expend what limited assets it has to offload him, and he can block it anyway. so most you can hope for is him roiding up and DHing. otherwise, sucking and being benched

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
it's this kind of stuff that makes people hate Cano more than they should...it's not his fault he was involved in such a bad trade and the Mets took on so much of his remaining salary

sross07

Veteran Refugee
I know personally I don't hate Cano. he seems like a cool guy and had a great career. And he may even be a great leader!

I am just extremely skeptical of a 39 yr old being productive after missing a full season and then only playing in a 60 game season before that (with the help of steroids)... Winter ball or not.

BennySammy

I know personally I don't hate Cano. he seems like a cool guy and had a great career. And he may even be a great leader!

I am just extremely skeptical of a 39 yr old being productive after missing a full season and then only playing in a 60 game season before that (with the help of steroids)... Winter ball or not.
our concern is his bat speed and his ability to get the bat on the ball...regardless of the level of competition in winter ball, we'll get a better idea if he still has that bat speed...I don't think anyone wants him to play the field though

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
Actually our concern is that is he 39 fucking years old and hitting is only 1/2 the battle, while staying healthy all season is the other major challenge.

Remember when Moises Alou got to that age and hit great, but couldn't stay on the field

1634179266983.png
1634179293678.png

jmac17

Veteran Refugee
Cano is notorious for having slow starts so I can’t imagine he will start off well with all his missed time

Daft Punk

Proudly brewing Corona Virus since 2020
Actually our concern is that is he 39 fucking years old and hitting is only 1/2 the battle, while staying healthy all season is the other major challenge.

Remember when Moises Alou got to that age and hit great, but couldn't stay on the field

View attachment 22340
View attachment 22341
Moises Alou could probably still hit .300.

We should sign him to be our Rusty Staub.

bobniborg

bobniborg
Heck, I'm not even saying he will play well. My real hope is they scale back his playing time if he is playing poorly but, I think his presence was missed. He might start out playing regularly but if he is 600 ops, scale him back. If he gets hot let him play more. I'm even down with using the IL for him lol.

BennySammy

View attachment 22340
View attachment 22341
to be like, "Our concern is his age, not his bat speed.." is kinda redundant...they all roll into the same thing

and comparing to Moises Alou doesn't really make sense because everyone that isn't just shitting on Cano is saying they want him to be the DH...we don't want to see Cano on the field at all, so putting up Alou numbers offensively would actually be great

BennySammy

if there's no DH next season, we are completely fucked with Cano...if there is, there's at least the silver lining that his bat can still play

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
to be like, "Our concern is his age, not his bat speed.." is kinda redundant...they all roll into the same thing

and comparing to Moises Alou doesn't really make sense because everyone that isn't just shitting on Cano is saying they want him to be the DH...we don't want to see Cano on the field at all, so putting up Alou numbers offensively would actually be great
Which 39 year old DHs would you like to compare him to besides Nelson Cruz?

BennySammy

Which 39 year old DHs would you like to compare him to besides Nelson Cruz?
David Ortiz? if Alou was a DH at 39, he would've been great too

how about Edgar Martinez? Harold Baines? Frank Thomas?

if we're talking just DH, Cano might be palatable

BennySammy

the DH role should've been made for guys like Cano...that's how the DH role was in like the 80s and 90s...just old guys that couldn't play in the field, but can still hit

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
David Ortiz? if Alou was a DH at 39, he would've been great too

how about Edgar Martinez? Harold Baines? Frank Thomas?

if we're talking just DH, Cano might be palatable
Except for Baines, those guys were all much better hitters than Cano who still had a good amount of dropoff at that age, 20-30 OPS+ points below their typical numbers

And only half of those guys had a full season of PAs at that age (one of who was Frank Thomas and that was his last full season)

If you're expecting a full season of Cano with like a 130OPS+ you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment

BennySammy

Except for Baines, those guys were all much better hitters than Cano who still had a good amount of dropoff at that age, 20-30 OPS+ points below their typical numbers

And only half of those guys had a full season of PAs at 39 (one of who was Frank Thomas and that was his last full season)

If you're expecting a full season of Cano with like a 130OPS+ you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment
Cano's career average for OPS+ is 126...if he's around that, we'd be very happy

and I get that you're very pessimistic about him being able to hit well, but that's why I'm saying our concern is hit bat speed and his ability to get the bat on the ball...it seems your concern is the same thing...you're just bringing up his age, but that doesn't mean anything unless we see the actual decrease in his bat speed...we honestly have no idea what to expect from Cano

but one thing we have in common is that we'd both prefer him completely off the roster and the payroll

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
Cano's career average for OPS+ is 126...if he's around that, we'd be very happy
Sure if his OPS+ was 126 and played a full season, we'd all be happy

But at that age guys usually have declining #s and/or miss playing time

You seriously can't argue that

Father time is a tough opponent

BennySammy

we'll just have to wait and see....if we're stuck with him, he might be a good DH...that's all I'm saying...if the expectation is that he's a starter at 2nd base, we are completely fucked