A's threaten to move to Vegas

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
The A's have a history dating back to 1901 with the formation of the American League, but they weren't the original Philadelphia Athletics.

There was a Philadelphia Athletics franchise from 1871-1875.

METS LEGIONS

It’s good to be the fantasy drama queen
Built in name recognition with A's u can go with arces or keep athletics.

No brainer move with success of golden knights and raiders moving in vegas can support a baseball team bigly.
All the hotels will buy the luxe boxes for high rollers.

JPSchmack

Administrator
I am not a fan of Oakland moving.

I get that they probably will, but it's going to close off the Bay Area to a single-team market forever, and that market is too fucking big and too fucking rich to let that happen. That was literally why the Tampa Bay Rays exist: The Giants were sold to Tampa and MLB said "Oh hell no, we can't leave that market to just one team."

With the clerical error that everyone signed off on giving the Giants exclusive rights to San Jose/Santa Clara county, the A's leaving town means no one can move into Oakland without paying territorial rights fee to the Giants, which would be so huge it takes the market off the table (Like, how Toronto doesn't have a second hockey team, or a third NY baseball team is impossible).

This is all around bad for baseball.

DoctorEvil

Refugee
The A's have a history dating back to 1901 with the formation of the American League, but they weren't the original Philadelphia Athletics.

There was a Philadelphia Athletics franchise from 1871-1875.
There was a Philadelphia Athletics during the first year of the National League in 1876. But they and the New York Mutuals were both kicked out of the league because each skipped the final road-trip of the year to save money.

Wendell's Necklace

brought to you by Taijuan
JP is obviously correct, this isn’t great for baseball, but, OTOH, a team in Vegas is a good excuse to go degenerately gamble in Vegas. Sounds like an overall net positive to me.

UhOhMaggetteos

Veteran Refugee
Oakland losing all their teams is god awful. They support their teams ride or die. The local government will cry about it but they're part of the problem. A third of the city is an abandoned industrial wasteland and they somehow still can't find a site? Fuck outta here.

MJB

King of QB/WR Horseplay
Vegas is gonna have an NBA team at some point too and have all four major sports here!

You > Valent

Future POBO
They should keep the colors and mascot the same. Always loved the Oakland unis and the elephant symbol.
i said this earlier. i actually think it's imperative. there would be no green/gold team in baseball, just a bunch of bullshit red and blue

Daft Punk

Proudly brewing Corona Virus since 2020
MLB moving into Las Vegas might be the one thing that gets me to visit Las Vegas!

JPSchmack

Administrator
It's really about the TV market share, not the actual market size.

Boston is powerful, not because Boston is 10th, behind Miami and Phoenix. But only 1.5 million people live in Arizona's TV market OUTSIDE of the PHX metro area and Boston has ALL OF NEW ENGLAND (15 million people) as it's TV territory. The Mets & Yankees share 28 million possible viewers. The Dodgers/Angels share like 20 million viewers as well.

SF/OAK is the 12th biggest market. But #26 Sacramento, #35 San Jose, #56 Fresno. And #75 Stockton. All in the Giants TV territory.
And markets #103, #112, #113, #119, #122, #123, #124, #125 (all of whom are about half a million people each) are also in the Giants TV footprint.
And markets #145, #174, #175, #182, #206, #214, #233, #237, #240, #278 (who are on average, 200k each) are also in the Giants TV footprint.

All told, it's like 26 million TV viewers the Giants/A's reach right now. Which means lots of interest from advertisers, but it's not like there's a lot of business in the Bay Area, right.

If the A's leave, MLB needs to grandfather in the right to place an AL team there with no territorial fees.

JPSchmack

Administrator
The exclusivity deal with the Giants was the final nail in the coffin. Chokes the A's earning potential out. Pretty messed up

And another good reason to hate the giants
That whole thing was a goddamned typo which two new owners didn't realize when the AL & NL Constitutions were combined into a new MLB Constitution. And the court ruling was that because the new Oakland owner signed the MLB Constitution (and CBAs) which included incorrect language, it was binding.