Cano playing Winter ball

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
guy is playing winter ball for no reason except that he's a generational talent who got paid millions upon millions of dollars that happens to enjoy playing the game he fucking dominates

yeah I definitely don't want that guy on my team

joedabum

If on the team, he stays absolutely clean, and then, come what may. If he hits, he'll be the darling of the fandom. If he doesn't, he'll be made to feel entirely unwelcome. Having said that, I think his ego can stand a lot of booing if he's collecting $24 mil. His problem will not come from the fans, it'll come from his teammates, if he doesn't produce and the Mets are somehow involved in meaningful games. You'd like to think that people would know when to walk away gracefully, but grace kind of beats a path to the exits when a lot of moo-lah-lah is involved.

MG5

Fucking Frazier
If on the team, he stays absolutely clean, and then, come what may. If he hits, he'll be the darling of the fandom. If he doesn't, he'll be made to feel entirely unwelcome. Having said that, I think his ego can stand a lot of booing if he's collecting $24 mil. His problem will not come from the fans, it'll come from his teammates, if he doesn't produce and the Mets are somehow involved in meaningful games. You'd like to think that people would know when to walk away gracefully, but grace kind of beats a path to the exits when a lot of moo-lah-lah is involved.
I think it would take a lot for Cano to become the "darling" of fandom. More likely it'd just go from "this guy needs to GTFO and be DFA'd" to "ok...he can stay...he's been pretty solid". Though I guess fans are fickle so you never know...maybe some will fall in love!!

Also I wouldn't think any player would reasonably expect another player to just up and retire midseason (or really at any point prior to his contract expiring) just because he's not playing well. Fans shouldn't have that expectation either - unless they also push teams to give players raises everytime they outperform their contract. Players all want to get paid themselves- so I am sure they understand their bros want to get paid - and from a selfish perspective they probably wouldn't anyone to do anything that furthers some expectation that players should walk away from the money when not playing up to their contract. If Cano was playing terribly and causing a stink about losing playing time or something of that ilk - then I could see that creating an issue with his fellow players - but him not playing well in itself should not cause clubhouse strife.

Joey Dirt

Hopes Community College Can Compare
guy is playing winter ball for no reason except that he's a generational talent who got paid millions upon millions of dollars that happens to enjoy playing the game he fucking dominates

For no reason other than he was just suspended and missed a full season of baseball and will be 39 so he’s trying to get some at bats *

McGrady7

Veteran Refugee

:confused::confused:
I swear some of you really think Cano is babe ruth or something

Cano fucking sucks
He’s a fucking rock on the IF and looks like he’s swinging a 50 lb bat as he swings and misses at everything. He’s a shell of himself and that’s putting it nicely.
No speed, injury risk, etc. But he’s a Nice guy!!!

FOH

If he wants to juice and get caught, fine. Do I 100% believe Cano will Actually do that? No. Fuck no.
To say Cano dominates anything but striking out every other AB is retarded as fuck.
I wish we can just cut the dead weight and start fresh. Idgaf I’ll eat the money. He is shit. Unfortunately he’ll prob be back

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator

alternate storyline: stupid ballplayer takes horse steroids and gets himself suspended for a year, gives up $25 million dollars, and is forced to play winter ball so that he has a snowball's chance in hell of actually doing anything in 2022

alternate storyline: stupid ballplayer takes horse steroids and gets himself suspended for a year, gives up $25 million dollars, and is forced to play winter ball so that he has a snowball's chance in hell of actually doing anything in 2022
It's this.

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
Forced by who or what

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
Forced by who or what
Forced by him getting suspended for a year?

If you want to credit Cano for doing the bare minimum expected of a professional player, by all means go ahead. Spare us though of the “look how much this guy loves baseball!”

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
the bare minimum is showing up without any intention of doing what is expected of a professional player and still collecting more money for it than most people here will ever see in their lives

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
it's gotta be killing joey that he can't be on the cool kids cycle loving pro-cano team just because he couldn't help screaming at everyone on this board about how bad a trade that none of us liked was for 3 years straight

and hire can't love holding joey's bag

hating robbie is tearing you guys apart

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
it's gotta be killing joey that he can't be on the cool kids cycle loving pro-cano team just because he couldn't help screaming at everyone on this board about how bad a trade that none of us liked was for 3 years straight

and hire can't love holding joey's bag

hating robbie is tearing you guys apart
You're embarrassing man, holding Joey's bag?

He's playing winter ball because he has to if he wants any chance of hitting next year. Sure maybe there's some other lazy player who wouldn't have and would just be happy to collect a paycheck - that's not the bare minimum of a professional player though.

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
why does he want any chance of hitting next year
What point are you even making right now? Are we supposed to credit Cano for wanting to be good like any other player with any sense of pride? Fucking christ

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
persons a: here's why we have hope for a mets player we have under contract to be a good rotational DH

persons hirejoey: that is COMPLETELY OUT OF LINE and I'm ANGRY ABOUT IT! now let me explain to you why brodie was a bad GM

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
Remember when Cano loved baseball so much that he showed up fat to camp his first year here?

The bare minimum expected of any player is to show up to spring training in shape to play baseball for a full season. For Cano, that includes him playing winter ball because he hasn't played baseball in a year+. It's nothing worth celebrating over or adding any hope to a 39 year old who was already in decline actually being any good.

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
Unlike you WC, I can actually separate Brodie versus Cano. I hated the trade as much as anyone, but it's because I thought Cano was going clearly be on the decline here and I think Kelenic is going to be a great player. It's also obvious that Cano's contract is going to be a deterrent to improving the team this offseason. His money could be used a lot more wisely and on a player who you could be a lot more confident in actually producing.

Nothing to do with Brodie. This isn't you being a complete weirdo over Sandy.