carlos cortes 2b/of

We're in decent shape at the moment, but would they skip AAA with this guy if necessary? He's 23 with 217 minor league games and 806 at bats. I feel like they'd have already promoted him to AAA if they were planning to.

But I could be completely wrong.

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
Carlos Cortes is an infielder/outfielder playing in Double-A Binghamton who actually is ambidextrous and throws right-handed from the infield and left-handed from the outfield. He currently has a .904 OPS with nine home runs for the Rumble Ponies, and the Mets are impressed with his bat-to-ball skills.

“He’s a professional hitter. We liked him so much we drafted him out of high school, then again after two years at South Carolina,” Tanous said. “His hit ability, the way he manipulates the barrel of the bat. He has a tremendous feel for hitting.”

Paddle Head

Friend of E$
That throwing with one hand from the OF and the other hand from the INF is some weird shit. How unusual is that?
It’s probably a super handy way to learn multiple positions simultaneously. The OF and IF throws are very different, and just training one arm for each throw has to make the process so much easier. Also reminds me of the question of how many IF GG caliber athletes never could get a chance because they were born lefty.

egelband

Refugee
We're in decent shape at the moment, but would they skip AAA with this guy if necessary? He's 23 with 217 minor league games and 806 at bats. I feel like they'd have already promoted him to AAA if they were planning to.

But I could be completely wrong.
These days I feel like AA and AAA are pretty interchangeable in terms of proximity to the majors. Actually AAA is more for slow track players and veteran depth. The best prospects often go from AA to the majors directly or with only a cup of coffee in AAA.

Last edited:

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
Three years ago, after the Mets drafted Cortes in the third round and gave him a million dollar signing bonus, I may have been sitting on a series with one of our writers and called him “somebody else’s 40.” After playing mostly second base, the switch-thrower is now mostly a left fielder, shifting to right when Brett Baty or Mark Vientosneed some outfield reps. That puts significantly more pressure on the bat, and while the power over hit profile he showed at South Carolina has continued to play in Double-A, it’s hard to be anyone’s 40 as just a corner outfielder. The swing—while relatively simple with a small leg kick and minimal load—tends to break down left-on-left. And indeed, Cortes is running an almost 400-point platoon split this year. He can also struggle to consistently lift the ball despite above-average bat speed and raw power. There is a path to a role 4 bench gig here; getting his second base glove back would be a good start, although he’s filled out his stocky frame further and was digging in the 4.5-4.7 range, but I suspect given the Mets drafted him twice and gave him a million bucks, they see him as a future regular. I’ll leave that report to somebody else again. —Jeffrey Paternostro

WarrenSpahn

Already out of the lineup for a couple weeks,Mark Vientos remains out of the lineup due to “health and safety protocols.”
ditto Carlos Cortez, I guess, cause he's been out of the lineup for a couple weeks.
Neither in listed on the IL and I could not find one word about either of them until today...what's the big secret?????????

FONZIE993

Troll?
Already out of the lineup for a couple weeks,Mark Vientos remains out of the lineup due to “health and safety protocols.”
ditto Carlos Cortez, I guess, cause he's been out of the lineup for a couple weeks.
Neither in listed on the IL and I could not find one word about either of them until today...what's the big secret?????????
Covid

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
Carlos Cortes, OF, Mets — Cortes started his fall campaign strong, with three hits that included one of the game's hardest-hit balls. The Mets' prospect went 3-for-4 with a triple against Padres prospect MacKenzie Gore. The three-bagger left the bat at 102.1 mph, one of 10 balls hit with triple-digit exit velocity. The 24-year-old South Carolina product had four games of three or more hits during the regular season, but is already a quarter of the way to matching that total in the 30-game AFL campaign.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
is MacKenzie Gore ever gonna be called up? how far has that dude fallen...he was a top 5 prospect in all of baseball not too long ago, but he barely cracks the top 100 now...FanGraphs even has him out of their top 100....the Padres fucked up by not trading him a long time ago

sross07

Veteran Refugee
is MacKenzie Gore ever gonna be called up? how far has that dude fallen...he was a top 5 prospect in all of baseball not too long ago, but he barely cracks the top 100 now...FanGraphs even has him out of their top 100....the Padres fucked up by not trading him a long time ago
I mean, he's still only 22.