Conforto to Reject Qualifying Offer

amazin port

Refugee
I see a .330-.340 typical OBP guy (which is what he did 4 of the last 5 seasons) who put up a -14 DRS, -10.9 RngR from 2019-2021 and is now approaching his mid-30s. I'm not buying what you're selling.
So if teams also see those figures I assume he'll be cheap....and we can always use him as a COF and keep Nimmo in CF.

We need to do something in the OF. My Plan A is Bryant, what's your plan?

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
Nimmo has 210 career starts in CF (231 games, 1706 innings) and has put up a -8 DRS, -5.0 RngR. Below average but not terrible.

We need to bolster him with someone better than Pillar because of Nimmo's injury history, but I don't see a huge need to move Nimmo off CF for defensive reasons unless there is a clear upgrade.

millertyme44

He'll get somewhere around 4/100-5/120 mil IMO. I don't think he gets a Springer type contract but just under.
I agree with these #s, hes in his prime (age wise) and outside of last year has a pretty solid track record.
As for where he lands for no actual reason I see him with either LAA PHI or STL

My fear is he'll end up with the Phillies. Heyman reports that they're going hard after free agent shortstops and outfielders.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
My fear is he'll end up with the Phillies. Heyman reports that they're going hard after free agent shortstops and outfielders.
Imagine if the Phillies end up with Correa and Conforto?

or worse, Baez and Conforto?! might as well just sign Barry Wood at that point and just slap their dicks across our faces

Supremedawg

Making Refugees Great Again
Administrator
- QO for 19 million
- Likely to sign a deal for 20-25/per

That 1-6 million is going to handcuff the team? Did the Wilpons take back control or something?
It's not about the money. It's about having flexibility to make deals with more positions open. If we land a premiere 2B and 3B, we won't have to go after a top OF bat and spend on pitching or whatever else is of a more pressing need.

ezee

[Title removed by Racist Police]
with Conforto probably leaving, it gives us more wiggle room to actually sign Baez

CatchTheRisingStars

Veteran Refugee
Imagine if the Phillies end up with Correa and Conforto?

or worse, Baez and Conforto?! might as well just sign Barry Wood at that point and just slap their dicks across our faces
Imagine if they acquired Bryce Harper, Zack Wheeler, JT Realmuto, and Jean Segura and they all lived up to their billing

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Imagine if they acquired Bryce Harper, Zack Wheeler, JT Realmuto, and Jean Segura and they all lived up to their billing
As much as we complain about our team, the Phillies spending all that money to buy talent and still not making the playoffs ever has to be even more frustrating…the Mets are still primarily all homegrown players

DeenNY31

Veteran Refugee
He will fall off the cliff the minute he gets the Queens. These types of signings have never worked out for us. There are other ways to fix this team that signing 33 year olds who can’t seem to stick anywhere.
There is a long way to fall from 5.2 war and still be very good. He’s not going to be paid like a superstar

If we signed Correa and let Conforto walk, would we not be giving up what amounts to a 3rd round pick (end of 2nd round) that we get for Conforto? If Steve is willing to lay down the cash and Correa will play 3B, man, that's a hard opportunity to pass up.

Fred Snow

Juan Negra
If we signed Correa and let Conforto walk, would we not be giving up what amounts to a 3rd round pick (end of 2nd round) that we get for Conforto? If Steve is willing to lay down the cash and Correa will play 3B, man, that's a hard opportunity to pass up.
If we sign Correa I think we'd be either giving up our 11th or 14th pick.

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
We'd be giving up #14 for Correa. Considering we gave up #14 for a washed up 36 year old a few years ago, I don't think that would stop us from acquiring a 27 year old stud. What will prevent us from getting Correa is the Lindor-esque contract he'll be getting to play SS while we already have a SS with that contract. But if Steve wants to shell out for another ~$300M contract for Correa to play 3B, that's fine with me.

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
Some random FA ranking/prediction articles

1. Correa
Just 27 years old in December, Correa also has youth on his side, and appears headed toward a monster free agent contract. The $340MM deals of fellow shortstops Fernando Tatis Jr. and Francisco Lindor will surely be a target.
2. Seager
Seager is only about five months older than Correa, so he too will be seeking a very long contract in excess of $300MM.
3. Bryant
4. Story
29 in November, Story isn’t quite as young as Correa and Seager, but he’s still in good shape for a contract well beyond $100MM.
5. Freeman
6. Gausman
7. Semien
8. Stroman
He succeeds on the strength of his home run prevention and solid control and is a candidate for a five-year deal. Stroman has shown no rust after opting out of the 2020 season.
9. Ray
10. Castellanos

Honorable mentions: Scherzer, Rodon, Taylor, Baez, Conforto, Marte

1. Correa: Marlins for 10 years, $340 million
2. Seager: Yankees for 8 years, $280 million
3. Story: Astros for 5 years, $150 million
4. Bryant: Phillies for 7 years, $250 million
5. Freeman: Atlanta for 5 years, $130 million
6. Semien: Giants for 5 years, $125 million
7. Scherzer: Dodgers for 2 years, $80 million
8. Ray: Angels for 5 years, $135 million
9. Gausman: Blue Jays for 4 years, $100 million
10. Stroman: Mets for 4 years, $92 million

1. Correa
2. Seager
3. Bryant
4. Freeman
5. Story
6. Scherzer
7. Ray
8. Semien
9. Gausman
10. Stroman
11. Castellanos
12. Rodon
13. Conforto
14. Taylor
15. Baez
16. Marte
17. Rizzo
18. Thor
19. Rodriguez
20. Kershaw

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
I have no problem with this:

"There is an enormous risk with Noah Syndergaard, enough that he might have to consider accepting a qualifying offer if it's extended by the New York Mets. The 29-year-old, who returned to the mound in September, hasn't pitched substantiality since 2019. Keep in mind, he posted a 4.28 ERA and 1.23 WHIP that season.

It might come down to teams looking for Syndergaard to hold a showcase, proving the physical stuff is still there. Even if it is, with so much uncertainty, a one-year contract feels inevitable."

ciarlatano

Refugee
Some random FA ranking/prediction articles

1. Correa
Just 27 years old in December, Correa also has youth on his side, and appears headed toward a monster free agent contract. The $340MM deals of fellow shortstops Fernando Tatis Jr. and Francisco Lindor will surely be a target.
2. Seager
Seager is only about five months older than Correa, so he too will be seeking a very long contract in excess of $300MM.
3. Bryant
4. Story
29 in November, Story isn’t quite as young as Correa and Seager, but he’s still in good shape for a contract well beyond $100MM.
5. Freeman
6. Gausman
7. Semien
8. Stroman
He succeeds on the strength of his home run prevention and solid control and is a candidate for a five-year deal. Stroman has shown no rust after opting out of the 2020 season.
9. Ray
10. Castellanos

Honorable mentions: Scherzer, Rodon, Taylor, Baez, Conforto, Marte

1. Correa: Marlins for 10 years, $340 million
2. Seager: Yankees for 8 years, $280 million
3. Story: Astros for 5 years, $150 million
4. Bryant: Phillies for 7 years, $250 million
5. Freeman: Atlanta for 5 years, $130 million
6. Semien: Giants for 5 years, $125 million
7. Scherzer: Dodgers for 2 years, $80 million
8. Ray: Angels for 5 years, $135 million
9. Gausman: Blue Jays for 4 years, $100 million
10. Stroman: Mets for 4 years, $92 million

1. Correa
2. Seager
3. Bryant
4. Freeman
5. Story
6. Scherzer
7. Ray
8. Semien
9. Gausman
10. Stroman
11. Castellanos
12. Rodon
13. Conforto
14. Taylor
15. Baez
16. Marte
17. Rizzo
18. Thor
19. Rodriguez
20. Kershaw
Bryant to the Phillies would be a serious kick in the nuts.

the_stone31

Refugee
We can't keep saying "this player, who is a FA, is good but will suck once he puts on a Mets uniform." It's getting tiring

Just make smart signings and trades, and that will all fall into place with a top front office