Conforto to Reject Qualifying Offer

Correa has had three separate 7+ bWAR seasons already and is only 26. If there is a way to get him in a Met uniform, ya gotta do it. Cohen was going to spend $40 million a year on Bauer. Albeit Correa's contract will go longer, Cohen has already shown the willingness to break the bank and by going all in Bauer, it shows we have the payroll for a Correa type player.

PapaToe

Butthurt Boomer
Anyway, back to this thread... The Angels seem like the most likely home for Conforto next year. He wants to play on the west coast. They need a LF, which is the position he's best at. Would be a good lineup if they can stay healthy.

Huh? How do you add Correa on top of Lindor, Cano, and as most are predicting...Baez? That's one stacked middle infield.
Same way they did Baez. Correa agrees to play 3B or 2B (depending on what happens with Baez). I could live with an infield of Correa, Lindor, Baez and Alonso. Outfield of Smith (god I hope he finds himself though), Nimmo and McNeil. Elite defensive infield. Part of what made the 1999 and 2000 Mets so much fun. Like I said, he was going to sign Bauer to an insane contract, so it's not out of the realm that he'd made another big time deal like that. Mets need offense badly. Trade JD Davis for some pitching help. Assuming deGrom returns to form in 2022, that'd be a hell of a team to go up against.

PapaToe

Butthurt Boomer
IF they resign Baez, it will be at ~22/25 mil per year, added to Lindor's 34 and Bob's 24, I just don't see how they can add another top tier infielder at the expense of SP and OF. I know we hear all the time how SteveCo can make it all happen, but based on what he's said and done ('not going to spend like drunken sailors'), I would be shocked.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
Same way they did Baez. Correa agrees to play 3B or 2B (depending on what happens with Baez). I could live with an infield of Correa, Lindor, Baez and Alonso. Outfield of Smith (god I hope he finds himself though), Nimmo and McNeil. Elite defensive infield. Part of what made the 1999 and 2000 Mets so much fun. Like I said, he was going to sign Bauer to an insane contract, so it's not out of the realm that he'd made another big time deal like that. Mets need offense badly. Trade JD Davis for some pitching help. Assuming deGrom returns to form in 2022, that'd be a hell of a team to go up against.
Break down the payroll, thanks.

IF they resign Baez, it will be at ~22/25 mil per year, added to Lindor's 34 and Bob's 24, I just don't see how they can add another top tier infielder at the expense of SP and OF. I know we hear all the time how SteveCo can make it all happen, but based on what he's said and done ('not going to spend like drunken sailors'), I would be shocked.
Conforto going saves 20 million/year over 5-7 years...

Supremedawg

Making Refugees Great Again
Administrator
Correa‘s value drops big time playing 3B. The reason SS get $300M is because of the position they play.

Break down the payroll, thanks.
We don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, but Cohen was welling to blast right past that in our first year to get Bauer. I'd argue Correa was always the better investment over Bauer. Cano has one year left. If Conforto walks, there's another $20 mill a year savings. Since we don't know the new thresholds to the CBA forthcoming, it's kind of hard to know exactly where we would land, but we do know Cohen was willing to blow past the luxury tax with Bauer (in his first year as owner) and if there is any noticeable increase on the luxury tax threshold with the new CBA, I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to expand the payroll even further than it would have been with Bauer. It's not like other teams won't take advantage of the higher ceiling as well. Cohen: deep pockets and has to keep up with the times.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
We don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, but Cohen was welling to blast right past that in our first year to get Bauer. I'd argue Correa was always the better investment over Bauer. Cano has one year left. If Conforto walks, there's another $20 mill a year savings. Since we don't know the new thresholds to the CBA forthcoming, it's kind of hard to know exactly where we would land, but we do know Cohen was willing to blow past the luxury tax with Bauer (in his first year as owner) and if there is any noticeable increase on the luxury tax threshold with the new CBA, I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to expand the payroll even further than it would have been with Bauer. It's not like other teams won't take advantage of the higher ceiling as well. Cohen: deep pockets and has to keep up with the times.
They’re not going to have a $300M payroll.

Supremedawg

Administrator
I think the final payroll depends on what the luxury tax threshold becomes. We probably won't have a $300 million payroll, I agree, but I think we will have room to sign another stud player.
You don’t pay $300M for a 5 WAR player. That’s what Correa becomes if he moves to 3B.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
I think the final payroll depends on what the luxury tax threshold becomes. We probably won't have a $300 million payroll, I agree, but I think we will have room to sign another stud player.
We do, and it won’t be Correa. It’ll be Baez. Maybe another $20M per range player. Too many holes to fill. And Cano has 2 years left.

sross07

Veteran Refugee
Conforto made $12 in 2021, not $20.

If you look at the Mets payroll, plus Cano and all the arby years, it's pretty depressing.

Conforto made $12 in 2021, not $20.

If you look at the Mets payroll, plus Cano and all the arby years, it's pretty depressing.
His QO would have been 19, yes?

And he is likely looking at 20 mil/year, which is what I was referring to.

Anyways, yes that money could be spent on replacing Conforto (Bryant would be ideal) as he can play in the OF while this franchise finds out if any of these IF prospects can start on the ML roster. Keep McNeil in the IF in the meantime.

Still not sure if it's a good idea to let him walk but it sounds like this franchise is going to have limited funds to work with this offseason so at some point the team has to part way with some on the current squad.

The expectations were for Lindor to be better than a 5 WAR player. He has posted a 7+ WAR previously. And why would he massively overly pay for 2 players or possibly even 3?
He's a career average 5.6 WAR player.

He may have another 7 WAR year in him, yes, but I'm pretty sure realistic expectations were for him to average 4-5 WAR over the entirety of his contact.

And we overpay because we have to. Someone is going to pay for 300 million for a 5-6 WAR player. Do you think Correa is going to put up a 7 WAR for the entirety of his 10 year contract? Of course not. Someone will pay him that for expectations of ~ 5 WAR/year over 10 years. Probably even less, honestly.

Supremedawg

Administrator
He's a career average 5.6 WAR player.

He may have another 7 WAR year in him, yes, but I'm pretty sure realistic expectations were for him to average 4-5 WAR over the entirety of his contact.

And we overpay because we have to. Someone is going to pay for 300 million for a 5-6 WAR player. Do you think Correa is going to put up a 7 WAR for the entirety of his 10 year contract? Of course not. Someone will pay him that for expectations of ~ 5 WAR/year over 10 years. Probably even less, honestly.
We’re not talking about the duration of the contract. If you get a 7-8 WAR from a player for a few years and win it all, that’s all that matters. Getting the players that are actually capable of doing it is why they get overpaid. You don’t pay a 3B man 300+ million, especially an injury prone one at that. Even Rendon and Arenado don’t make that much.

cmcm750203

Veteran Refugee
Some random FA ranking/prediction articles

1. Correa
Just 27 years old in December, Correa also has youth on his side, and appears headed toward a monster free agent contract. The $340MM deals of fellow shortstops Fernando Tatis Jr. and Francisco Lindor will surely be a target.
2. Seager
Seager is only about five months older than Correa, so he too will be seeking a very long contract in excess of $300MM.
3. Bryant
4. Story
29 in November, Story isn’t quite as young as Correa and Seager, but he’s still in good shape for a contract well beyond $100MM.
5. Freeman
6. Gausman
7. Semien
8. Stroman
He succeeds on the strength of his home run prevention and solid control and is a candidate for a five-year deal. Stroman has shown no rust after opting out of the 2020 season.
9. Ray
10. Castellanos

Honorable mentions: Scherzer, Rodon, Taylor, Baez, Conforto, Marte

1. Correa: Marlins for 10 years, $340 million
2. Seager: Yankees for 8 years, $280 million
3. Story: Astros for 5 years, $150 million
4. Bryant: Phillies for 7 years, $250 million
5. Freeman: Atlanta for 5 years, $130 million
6. Semien: Giants for 5 years, $125 million
7. Scherzer: Dodgers for 2 years, $80 million
8. Ray: Angels for 5 years, $135 million
9. Gausman: Blue Jays for 4 years, $100 million
10. Stroman: Mets for 4 years, $92 million

1. Correa
2. Seager
3. Bryant
4. Freeman
5. Story
6. Scherzer
7. Ray
8. Semien
9. Gausman
10. Stroman
11. Castellanos
12. Rodon
13. Conforto
14. Taylor
15. Baez
16. Marte
17. Rizzo
18. Thor
19. Rodriguez
20. Kershaw
Lol at thinking the Marlins are shelling out that contract.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
guys, try to be a little realistic...if you're honestly thinking we should be able to sign Baez AND Correa, you're being unreasonable

before we even start to talk about FAs, arbitration raises and qualifying offers, the Mets payroll is already going to be around $130 mil with just the guys that currently have contracts counted on the 2022 payroll....then when you add in the arbitration figures the guys will get, you're at or even possibly over $200 mil...that's before we even think about filling out the rest of the 26 man roster

so you think we're going to be able to add another $50-$60 mil a year on top of all that and add Baez and Correa? I guess we'll have to see what the new CBA looks like, but I really don't think it's reasonable to think that the Mets will just have a $300 mil payroll in 2022

PapaToe

Butthurt Boomer
And i‘m laughing at the notion of replacing Conforto with Bryant being a wash financially,,,,keep dreamin if you think KB will settle for anything less than 25/yr

This year and the off season will be spent digging around to find and throw out remaining Wilpon shit, with just a slight odor gradually dissipating over next year as the team begins its transition. A strong contender in 3 years, building and finding the many pieces they need throughout the organization as the Cano deal runs it’s course over the next two.

The team needs to be a .500 team without thinking before they win the World Series. Maybe Cano surprises, others overachieve, but the true test of Cohen’s ownership will be the 2023 season. All the talk now is how they get there.