Conforto to Reject Qualifying Offer

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Bryant has already played and won on the biggest stage in baseball and is doing it again right now. Why wouldn't he be able to play in NYC?
I don't really think he's suggesting that Bryant will definitely fail in NYC...he's just saying we have already seen what Baez would bring to the team...I'm sure anyone would want both, but if we're choosing one or the other, the argument for Baez is that we've already seen him succeed as a Met

Longrod Von Schlongpepper

Little dick energy Opto aka NYRomy the Clown
I don't really think he's suggesting that Bryant will definitely fail in NYC...he's just saying we have already seen what Baez would bring to the team...I'm sure anyone would want both, but if we're choosing one or the other, the argument for Baez is that we've already seen him succeed as a Met
Yeah, this is exactly what I meant. But because it was me saying it I get the stupidity from phunke above.

amazin port

Refugee
The problem that faces the Mets is that they seemingly are never actually able to make a trade with the future in mind. They either have players who are playing well (say Dom in 2020) and then they don't want to trade him at his peak value. OR they have players who are playing crap (say Dom in 2021) and they don't want to trade him at his lowest value.

If anyone believes that there is a WS Championship that this core group of players (even add Baez if you want) and we're just 1 or 2 pieces away, then ok. But if you don't believe in this veteran team's ability to win a WS, then we're going to have a problem in a couple years when no one (most importantly, us) wants these players due to age/$.

Our prospect pool is shallow. The FA pool is shallow. So how are we turning this sub .500 team into a 95+ win team that can legitimately contend for the World Series? I don't see how keeping players who at their peak value aren't good enough to turn us into a true contender (see 2019) is better than selling them when their value is low and having a rebuild plan.
Congratulations, you're one of the first posters to change someone's mind.

Unfortunately, that post has (on so many levels ...eg why spent $34m on Lindor and then tear it down)... turned me from supporter of a small(ish) payroll $250/$270m increase to a BLOW the CBA overspend record.
Do it the way the Dodgers did it...go Paralytic Sailor ( Baez AND Bryant, whilst building the farm...Still means no QO players this year, as we can hammer the college hitter deep draft whilst spending our big resource $$$, whilst still building.
Gradually phase in the Mauricio/ Baty/Vientos/ Alvarez when ready.

Ford Prefect

Refugee
Congratulations, you're one of the first posters to change someone's mind.

Unfortunately, that post has (on so many levels ...eg why spent $34m on Lindor and then tear it down)... turned me from supporter of a small(ish) payroll $250/$270m increase to a BLOW the CBA overspend record.
Do it the way the Dodgers did it...go Paralytic Sailor ( Baez AND Bryant, whilst building the farm...Still means no QO players this year, as we can hammer the college hitter deep draft whilst spending our big resource $$$, whilst still building.
Gradually phase in the Mauricio/ Baty/Vientos/ Alvarez when ready.
Baez & Bryant are fine. But we need pitching, LF/RF (and hell we need a CFer too as Nimmo can't be relied on to remain healthy). I'm all for bringing Conforto back on a 1 year deal, but it seems like he's foolishly going to demand more. Dom Smith CAN NOT be our starting LFer next year. If we get the DH, ok, fine I guess he and Alonso (and Cano??) can rotate in the DH spot. Is Lee ready for a full time role? How good is he projected to be anyway?

I don't know, I just think we're so far away and we have fooled ourselves since 2015 that we're actually a good young team. Hell, before we traded for Cespedes we were a garbage team in 2015 also. We are a mediocre veteran team with very little in the way of youth making any type of positive impact.

I just think that if EVERYTHING broke right with the 2021 NYM, then perhaps we would have won 88 or so games. But I'm so over having to rely on everything going right for us to maybe have a chance at the playoffs.