Damn, Marcus ...

Joey Dirt

Hopes Community College Can Compare
Marcus - say less buddy

When you’re great you don’t need to tell a random troll on Twitter you’re great.

Let your production do the talking

robardin

Older East Asian dude seeing both sides
Marcus - say less buddy

When you’re great you don’t need to tell a random troll on Twitter you’re great.

Let your production do the talking
Yeah and unless I'm mistaken, Jack W. Ramsey on Twitter is not now, and is unlikely to become, the Mets GM or POBO

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
the random kid is right...as much as I'd like to keep Stroman, he's not worth over $25 mil a season...he had a really good season this season and he ended up with 3.3 WAR...that's pretty much the peak of what to expect from Stroman, and that's barely worth $25 mil...once you get into year 4 or 5 of that contract, he will not be doing enough during the front end of the contract to make up for what he's being paid at the back end

5 years $115 mil with a team option year at the end...signed until age 35 and an option year at age 36...of course Stroman sees himself now and is like, "I have the work ethic to stay healthy forever!", but no one believes at age 30 that they're coming to the end of their productive years...it kinda hits you like a ton of bricks

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
Stroman probably gonna get that $25 a year. If not from us than from someone else. Guess we can use that money for Bryant or whoever we settle on.

BennySammy

Stroman probably gonna get that $25 a year. If not from us than from someone else. Guess we can use that money for Bryant or whoever we settle on.
if we lose out on Stroman, I think we should target Jon Gray...he'd likely cost the draft pick, but I feel like he could replace Stroman pretty well...I think he'd end up being even cheaper than Stroman too

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
There’s no reason to believe his performance will drop off. He’s a rock and vastly underrated.

sross07

Veteran Refugee
I think one of the bedrock principles this offseason is to not lose draft picks. I am not really clear which CBA applies to this offseason, but the CBA negotiations obviously have a role in this.

More practically, I think you need to hedge against last season not being the anomaly. Given the new ownership, spend as much as you want, but do it in a way that doesn't impact your future. Two ways to do that is not sacrificing draft picks and don't trade away blue chip prospects.

I'm almost in the camp that a rebuild (not a full tear down) would be beneficial. Problem is- the mets assets are near rock bottom value.

BennySammy

Giving up draft picks to save some money. Just like old times.
I'm not really sure how it works though...the Rockies will likely offer Story and Gray the QO....if both of them reject, do they get picks from both teams? is one worth more than the other? if Story signs somewhere first, does Gray's compensation get moved down?

BennySammy

Jon Gray is a #4. Just like Walker, Carrasco and McGill.
he's much better than his numbers suggest...once he leaves Colorado, he could be a really good pitcher...a smart team would want to go after him...it just sucks for us because we're the only team that would have to give up a 1st round pick to sign him

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
I'm not really sure how it works though...the Rockies will likely offer Story and Gray the QO....if both of them reject, do they get picks from both teams? is one worth more than the other? if Story signs somewhere first, does Gray's compensation get moved down?
The picks you receive as compensation for losing a QO are based on whether you receive revenue sharing or not and how much the player signs for. The Rockies receive revenue sharing so the picks depend on how much Story and Gray sign for. If they sign for > $50 million, they get a pick after the 1st round. If they sign for less than $50 million, the pick is after the 2nd round.

DrGooden

Refugee
I like Marcus he did a good job this year. By no means is he a dominating pitcher but he's a really good 3 on a good staff. I'd like to see him sign here, and I think he'd pitch well for the duration of his contract. He's fit, durable , and probably is not going blow his arm out, he can pitch without throwing 100mph. So for the most part, you'll get 33 starts, mostly quality 5-6 innings.
If he leaves, you have no one, right now who can do that on this staff. So you have to at minimum replace that. I haven't looked at all the free agents out there yet. But you have to replace that and you want to add someone too.

RM57

(((RM57)))
Benny,
Your plan is replacing a Solid #3, potential #2 is by giving up a first round pick, and having to pay potentially the same amount of $$ for a decent if not Spectacular #4 who COULD POTENTIALLY MAYBE become a decent #3?

and I like Gray.. but you sign Stroman every day and 2x on Sunday over Gray

robardin

Older East Asian dude seeing both sides
the random kid is right...as much as I'd like to keep Stroman, he's not worth over $25 mil a season...
You may or may not agree with Mr. Ramsey

However, there is not much to be gained from Stroman personally getting into how much he's worth as a FA with him on Twitter

If he really wants to rebut, he should do it through his agent or agency

sross07

Veteran Refugee
It's a valid argument. Storman is on the wrong side of 30 during this multi year contract.

But.. what's the alternative for this team?

You > Valent

Future POBO
this is a perfect example of how badly we squandered the "5 aces" era of Mets baseball. injuries will happen, and you always plan for that, but for fuck sake, there was a time we were paying those dudes a Stroman salary collectively and we didn't fuckin win. imagine SteveCo with the "5 aces?" we'd probably sign every big bat known to man and just rebuild pitching bc fuck paying pitchers $30 m

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered
this is a perfect example of how badly we squandered the "5 aces" era of Mets baseball. injuries will happen, and you always plan for that, but for fuck sake, there was a time we were paying those dudes a Stroman salary collectively and we didn't fuckin win. imagine SteveCo with the "5 aces?" we'd probably sign every big bat known to man and just rebuild pitching bc fuck paying pitchers $30 m
not to mention the wheeler deal

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
The issue is not paying Wheeler and trading away the farm during the Brodie era. We’d be in great shape right now if we didn’t squander resources. Now we either have throw good money after bad or rebuild.

BennySammy

Benny,
Your plan is replacing a Solid #3, potential #2 is by giving up a first round pick, and having to pay potentially the same amount of $$ for a decent if not Spectacular #4 who COULD POTENTIALLY MAYBE become a decent #3?

and I like Gray.. but you sign Stroman every day and 2x on Sunday over Gray
I want Stroman too, but if the bidding for Stroman gets to 7 years $200 mil, should we still go after him or pivot to another pitcher? and in terms of available free agent pitchers, Gray seems like the most bang for your buck