Damn, Marcus ...

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Stroman is probably the #1 pitcher in free agency right now...Scherzer is better, but he's not signing another multi-year deal

there will be a lot of teams bidding for Stroman, so it will likely cost more than we think it would to re-sign him...so like that random dude on Twitter said, if Stroman's AAV gets to be over $25 mil a year, we should explore other options

BennySammy

yeah, Max Scherzer isn't even worth discussing at this point...he didn't even want to be traded to the Mets...he won't sign here

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
Maybe we will get a POBO/GM that will find value somewhere else for the rotation. That’s probably more likely than resigning Stroman.

The issue is not paying Wheeler and trading away the farm during the Brodie era. We’d be in great shape right now if we didn’t squander resources. Now we either have throw good money after bad or rebuild.
I don't think Cohen wants any part of a rebuild, but what would that even look like at this point?

Just trade everyone that's not Alonso and Lindor?

BennySammy

I said I'd offer him 5 years $115 mil...that's what I'd say his value is at...between 14 and 15 WAR over 5 seasons

but I feel like some team will probably offer 7 years $175-$200 mil...that's 22-25 WAR over 7 seasons...I don't think he'd live up to that contract

sross07

Veteran Refugee
7 years for stroman in an era when starters hardly pitch any innings and injuries are rampant, makes no sense. It's a young person's game as well.

sross07

Veteran Refugee
but he does pitch innings and is never injured.
On the injury part.. so? He is smaller frame and has mileage on his arm. Few pitchers last forever. And there is a small, very small, group of pitchers that you should give a 5 you yr deal too. Not sure stroman is in that group

cmcm750203

Veteran Refugee
Union needs to fight the draft pick shit. The fact that a Jon Gray type COULD cost the 14th pick is basically doing the opposite of what the rule is supposed to do. You’re support to be giving the crappier teams a shot because good teams don’t want to give up picks but usually good teams are picking late anyway so I’d doubt the 25th pick is going to deter them much. These guys keep signing closer and closer to ST. It’s definitely something that needs to be fixed.

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
On the injury part.. so? He is smaller frame and has mileage on his arm. Few pitchers last forever. And there is a small, very small, group of pitchers that you should give a 5 you yr deal too. Not sure stroman is in that group
Saying players are always hurt in this era as if that’s a reason to not sign Stroman or something doesn’t make any sense considering he’s never hurt.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
I don't think Cohen wants any part of a rebuild, but what would that even look like at this point?

Just trade everyone that's not Alonso and Lindor?
Pretty much. Nimmo, deGrom, May, Lugo, Diaz and Carrasco for sure. Draft and develop players.

bubb87

Stroman is probably the #1 pitcher in free agency right now...Scherzer is better, but he's not signing another multi-year deal

there will be a lot of teams bidding for Stroman, so it will likely cost more than we think it would to re-sign him...so like that random dude on Twitter said, if Stroman's AAV gets to be over $25 mil a year, we should explore other options
Someone will give scherzer a multi year deal honestly i hope its us. I'd rather have scherzer for 3 than stro for 6.

BennySammy

Someone will give scherzer a multi year deal honestly i hope its us. I'd rather have scherzer for 3 than stro for 6.
Like I mentioned before, it's best not to even consider Scherzer as an option....he doesn't want to come to the Mets...he's made enough money that he's not just gonna chase another big contract...he'll play where he wants to play

sross07

Veteran Refugee
Saying players are always hurt in this era as if that’s a reason to not sign Stroman or something doesn’t make any sense considering he’s never hurt.
Dunno. Players reaching their 30s, especially pitchers, decline and are injury risks regardless of what they did in their 20s. I don't see why Stroman is the exception to that curve. And I don't see how is production over shadows the fact he will be pitching this contract in his early to mid 30s.

If you can get stroman at 4 or 5 years at 20 to 25 mil, that's one thing. If it's more then that, I'd question the investment.

BennySammy

Dunno. Players reaching their 30s, especially pitchers, decline and are injury risks regardless of what they did in their 20s. I don't see why Stroman is the exception to that curve. And I don't see how is production over shadows the fact he will be pitching this contract in his early to mid 30s.

If you can get stroman at 4 or 5 years at 20 to 25 mil, that's one thing. If it's more then that, I'd question the investment.

I can understand that, but we also have to consider his value in this market...maybe you value him at 5 years, but if everyone values him at 5 years, a team willing to go to 6 or 7 years would have the advantage...we see if every offseason...market value depends on the demand, and Stroman's demand will be very high

Pretty much. Nimmo, deGrom, May, Lugo, Diaz and Carrasco for sure. Draft and develop players.
I'm coming around to the idea that this may actually be the best idea moving forward.

Stock up the farm, purge the payroll, start fresh next season.

This team just doesn't work. I don't know why everyone is in a rush to put the same team out there. There are a plethora of great young IFs coming up in the system... Maybe it's time.

ezee

[Title removed by Racist Police]
after seeing the possible arbitration numbers, I'm starting to think we're gonna let Stroman walk

MaghullMets

We should have just kept Wheeler and Stro leaving wouldn’t absolutely kill us.

Now we’re facing multi years for someone, who’s effective but we’re saddled with until 35-36, and $160m.

Love Stro, don’t mind $25m a year but he’s not agreeing to anything less than 4/5 years

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered
degrom
syndergaard
carrasco
williams
megill

and like 4 worse guys than that

i dunno fellas, may end up being the result of paying baez. maybe theres some 3/4 types we can get for 2 years

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered
oh yeah confused walker and williams

and totally forgot about peterson lol

degrom
syndergaard
carrasco
walker
peterson

megill

but yeah, still