Damn, Marcus ...

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
we have super billionaire steve cohen and a win now team and you battered wives are speculating on how to let our only productive and reliable pitcher leave in FA

it's terrible

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
are we hiring a POBO in the next 2 weeks who is going to supervise this complete roster teardown where we trade every major leaguer

or are we getting on this right away and letting sandy trade everyone for 18 mediocre relief prospects who will never make the majors

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
Maybe after a competent GM/POBO makes a trade for a good starting pitcher, we could have two competent major league starting pitchers on the roster if they don't also let Stroman walk!

perish the thought

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
We can afford to keep Stro, and Syndergaard and Baez but by 2023 it’s going to push the payroll close to $300M. It means we are likely going to be going cheap in the OF and cheap at 3B. It also puts into question extensions for Nimmo and deGrom.

Really need some smart creative people running the FO.

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
you're not allowed to use the word creative, sandy lovers have condemned it as foolhardy

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
if Hire sees that beefhunk typed the word "creative" we're gonna have an admin war

OrangeReign

Offer him the wheeler contract plus 1 dollar and hope he accepts. If push comes to shove add in 1 more year at a lower per year rate for something like 6/132 total

Daaaarryyl

On the injury part.. so? He is smaller frame and has mileage on his arm.
I'm not disagreeing with not signing him long term, but you're reasoning isn't all that sound IMO.

He's small, yes--but he's very athletic---much more athletic than most 30 yo pitchers.

And how does he have mileage on his arm when he took last year off??

egelband

Refugee
Someone is going to offer him more than 4/100. It’s either us or it’s not.
Yes. But the high AAV is an impressive starting point. If he wants an extra year, definitely worth considering. Maybe that’s 5/120. If he wants two more years, you bring down the AAV a bit more. I figure he’s due for an injury and we all know the salary is mostly for past performance and making up for past “underpayment”.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
Heading into Free Agency

Wheeler: Age 29, 3.77 ERA, 8.7 K’s per 9, 3.2 BBs per 9, 1.29 WHIP, 126 starts, 749 innings. No All Star appearances.

Stroman: Age 30, 3.63 ERA, 7.5 K’s per 9, 2.5 BB’s per 9, 1.26 WHIP, 173 starts, 1028 innings. 1 All Star appearance, 1 Gold Glove.

But the second guy is annoying on Twitter.

You > Valent

Future POBO
if we had Wheeler right now, we'd still be sitting her expecting to sign Stroman... who basically remains the only good thing that came out of the Brodie era.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Heading into Free Agency

Wheeler: Age 29, 3.77 ERA, 8.7 K’s per 9, 3.2 BBs per 9, 1.29 WHIP, 126 starts, 749 innings. No All Star appearances.

Stroman: Age 30, 3.63 ERA, 7.5 K’s per 9, 2.5 BB’s per 9, 1.26 WHIP, 173 starts, 1028 innings. 1 All Star appearance, 1 Gold Glove.

But the second guy is annoying on Twitter.
I mean, if Stroman is willing to sign a 5 year $118 mil contract, we should be all over it...I just think it'll be significantly more than that

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
I’m not sure it will be “significantly” more. $125 is probably the number.
if you say so...I'm thinking Stroman will be getting closer to 6 years $155 mil...he's probably the top pitcher on the market in terms of guys you'd give a multi-year deal to and he will have a lot of bidders

but is there a dollar amount where you would say let's avoid Stroman? For me, the absolute cap for AAV I'd go is $25 mil...I know you really want to re-sign Stroman, but is there an amount you wouldn't go over?

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
$25 is my number but honestly if they went over I’d be ok. Even with the offense last season I would value pitchers over hitters.

kranepool

Refugee
I think sign him, give him the $125, if that's what he wants - he loves NY, but also wants to get paid. He was remarkably consistent this year, something this team has been sorely lacking for a long time.

dmtt61d

Veteran Refugee
The infield defense behind Stro is key. He didn't fit well here in 2019 with our putrid middle infield combo of Amed and Cano. But if it's Lindor and Baez, his value should hold up.

sross07

Veteran Refugee
it is debatable if pitching to contact is a repeatable skill. Intuitively, I think that skill is repeatable, its just more difficult to predict success because there is more deviation then with power pitchers.

And here's yet another take on "control" type pitchers like Stroman - he will have less room for error as he ages. Stroman's fastball has been amazingly consistent at 92mph year over year. If he loses 1 or 2 mph on that though, is that sustainable in today's game? (Stroman is already need the bottom in avg velocity - 130 of 194 for 4seamer, 102 of 148 for his sinker).

On the plus side, maybe that velocity envelop keeps him healthier.