GM Thread | Mets hire Eppler as General Manager

AJFrenchman

Refugee
If Stearns wants to interview for the Mets job, he can simply tell the Brewers he won’t sign an extension. It’s not like he would get any open job the following year.

dmtt61d

Veteran Refugee
If Stearns wants to interview for the Mets job, he can simply tell the Brewers he won’t sign an extension. It’s not like he would get any open job the following year.
Yeah, this is probably the only way we get a shot at Stearns; he would need to tell Milwaukee's ownership that he's looking for a change and doesn't plan on signing an extension there. Obviously only he knows whether or not that's actually true.

AJFrenchman

Refugee
Yeah, this is probably the only way we get a shot at Stearns; he would need to tell Milwaukee's ownership that he's looking for a change and doesn't plan on signing an extension there. Obviously only he knows whether or not that's actually true.
Stearns is a guy, even if he sits out a season, that teams would clean house in their FO just to lure him to their club.

dmtt61d

Veteran Refugee
Stearns is a guy, even if he sits out a season, that teams would clean house in their FO just to lure him to their club.
I'm sure he'd have lots of interest if he wanted to leave Milwaukee. But obviously only he can answer 1) if he wants to leave Milwaukee at all, and 2) if he does want to leave, what job he'd want to leave for. If he wanted the Mets job, he would need to express those sentiments to Brewers ownership now while the job is open, since even though he could wait a year for his contract to expire, I don't think Steve Cohen and the Mets plan to have that POBO seat vacant in a year, barring another Porter / Scott disaster.

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian and Serial Pooper
If Stearns wants the job, I suppose he would let the Brewers know he won’t re-sign in Milwaukee after 2022. In that case, rather than have him around for only a year it would make sense for all parties to explore a trade.
🤞

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
I wouldn't mind Billy Beane, but it'd be very similar to a Sandy Alderson run team

David Stearns could be good and he's been able to help build a pretty strong brand in Milwaukee

Josh Byrnes right now is my #1 option because he not only comes from the Dodgers, but he might also be able to lure in a very good GM candidate from the Dodgers organization as well

Jeff Luhnow is not really on our radar, but I'd be interested in seeing if his name comes up in the next few weeks

I also wonder if we start seeing any names pop up from the Rays organization...Neander is probably the only guy that we'd be able to consider for the POBO role, but I wonder if anyone else from there could come over in some capacity

robardin

Older East Asian dude seeing both sides
I wouldn't mind Billy Beane, but it'd be very similar to a Sandy Alderson run team

David Stearns could be good and he's been able to help build a pretty strong brand in Milwaukee

Josh Byrnes right now is my #1 option because he not only comes from the Dodgers, but he might also be able to lure in a very good GM candidate from the Dodgers organization as well

Jeff Luhnow is not really on our radar, but I'd be interested in seeing if his name comes up in the next few weeks

I also wonder if we start seeing any names pop up from the Rays organization...Neander is probably the only guy that we'd be able to consider for the POBO role, but I wonder if anyone else from there could come over in some capacity
In no particular order:

I somewhat share your concerns about Beane being Alderson II

Byrnes seems like a good fit

Wasn't Neander just extended by the Rays?

And Luhnow... I think I'd like that

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian and Serial Pooper
Davis Stearnes is #1 choice for me. Has been for a couple years now.

BennySammy

In no particular order:

I somewhat share your concerns about Beane being Alderson II

Byrnes seems like a good fit

Wasn't Neander just extended by the Rays?

And Luhnow... I think I'd like that
when I brought up Neander, it was because he's sticking with the Rays and they really don't have anyone else we'd consider for a POBO role...I was just wondering if we'd look to Tampa for other FO positions

robardin

Older East Asian dude seeing both sides
when I brought up Neander, it was because he's sticking with the Rays and they really don't have anyone else we'd consider for a POBO role...I was just wondering if we'd look to Tampa for other FO positions
Well that's the problem I'd have with the Billy Beane scenario too

They have a great track record in consistently building 95-100 win teams that get torn down and rebuilt every 2-3 years around the concept of interchangeable parts / a pipeline of young production, but also never have a fan-bonding core and also never seem to get past the LCS (or LDS, for the A's)

And when the Rays made it to the World Series in 2020, they followed up in the off-season by shedding their best starting pitcher (Morton) over a $15M option

The "lockdown bullpen" thing won them 100+ games in the regular season, but studly SPs are of outsize importance in a short playoff series

BennySammy

They have a great track record in consistently building 95-100 win teams that get torn down and rebuilt every 2-3 years around the concept of interchangeable parts / a pipeline of young production, but also never have a fan-bonding core and also never seem to get past the LCS (or LDS, for the A's)

And when the Rays made it to the World Series in 2020, they followed up in the off-season by shedding their best starting pitcher (Morton) over a $15M option

The "lockdown bullpen" thing won them 100+ games in the regular season, but studly SPs are of outsize importance in a short playoff series
yeah, we definitely don't want to adopt the Rays whole philosophy, but there are certain times where money restrictions come into play where we might want someone in the front office that knows how to be a bit more creative

I want a very diverse front office...I'd like Byrnes and Gomes because they're used to running a high money organization, but I'd also like to have someone there that has worked under money restrictions so we can maximize the roster

Daft Punk

Proudly brewing Corona Virus since 2020
Yeah, like in these next couple of years, our payroll is going to be inflated and used up by some relatively non-productive players. We'll need some brains in the front office to figure out how to maximize the roster without blowing past the luxury tax line for multiple years in a row to avoid the more costly penalties. They will essentially have to operate under a more constrained budget, despite having a huge budget...if that makes sense.

ABB

Refugee
Super Moderator

You realize the A’s and Rays operate that way by necessity, right?

BennySammy

When Andrew Friedman went from the Rays to the Dodgers, he didn’t go “Alright guys, $50 million payroll. That’s my formula.”
I think that's a different circumstance...this new Rays philosophy of not really having a starting rotation and selling off players while their value is still high has been really successful for them...they move to a new organization where they don't have the freedom to do whatever they want without criticism from fans and ownership, it might not go over so well...they were basically showing no loyalty to their players

Friedman was just trying to build from the draft and players were leaving when they became too expensive for them to keep...he's essentially brought that same philosophy to the Dodgers, but they have money to sign players as well

BennySammy

the Rays aren't just operating like a team that doesn't have money...that's more the Cleveland Indians...the Rays enjoy having the ability to be creative

It's why I think someone like Chris Antonetti would be great because he knows how to build a solid structure for a franchise, but if he gets more money too, it could be even better...but I don't think Antonetti would leave Cleveland, which sucks

doom

Refugee
1634171465407.png
Bumpin from Coast 2 Coast

No one can do it better like this 2 man crew
They say we're one hit it quitters, now what cha'll gonna do?

I'm with you. Beane is good, but he's not a proven commodity in terms of making big acquisitions. He's very good at being frugal and scouting the best bang for his buck, but when you come over to a club like the Mets and have money to spend, it's a whole new ballgame. We've seen how it appears Sandy struggles at times with big-time FA's or balks at the idea altogether. But you really can't do that when you're operating in the largest market, with the richest owner. You have to be able to utilize ALL of your resources. Perhaps Beane would do just as well with a larger operating budget, but the truth is, we don't know for sure, because he's never had that.

Byrnes is my guy, because he comes from an environment which fits the mold of what Cohen wants within a few years. Big spenders, A+ scouting AND amazing player development. Stearns is my 2nd choice, but Milwaukee has to let him go and he's still never operated with a mega-budget like Cohen will be able to roll out.

We can't go wrong with Byrnes. He's 8 years younger than Beane and he has experience building a franchise with lots of monetary resources. IMO, that's the mentality Cohen wants and we want more so than a Beane type who crunches every penny or even Stearns.