Loup/McNeil "Mets lacked clubhouse leader"

Willie777

Singing Country Music for God and America
Conforto said that Lindor was the best leader the team ever had...guess McNeil didn't think so...

MAJERATI

Banned
Super Moderator
this is what all my fellow pessies said all season. the mets are full of goofballs. teams need a bobby parnell to throw out your lunch

WaitTillNextSeason

Veteran Refugee
I'm sure we'll be very nice to Loup and very not nice to McNeil in this thread given 2021 performance

But, I mean, what was the difference between 2020 and 2021? The difference was that McNeil, Dom, and Conforto performed way below what they've done before -- does a "clubhouse leader" change that?

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
it takes some real balls from McNeil to criticize the Mets clubhouse and the team's performance when you're coming off a 1.5 bWAR season...Loup can say something because he was great and did his part to help us win games, but McNeil was an everyday player and he's blaming the Mets 2021 season on lack of leadership? you needed someone to tell you to stop sucking?

enjoy whichever team you get traded to

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered
team chemistry and leadership is important, i dont think you can totally dismiss it

but does it make up for a complete lack of talent? i dont think so

maybe good chemistry and leadership is what can make an already good team great

but those things making a bad team good is only for the movies

Longrod Von Schlongpepper

Little dick energy Opto aka NYRomy the Clown
I blame Rojas. There was no one to keep these fucks in line.
Honestly, that's the biggest issue with bringing him to the big club. He came through the ranks with guys like McNeil and Alonso playing for him in the minors so there's a familiarity that often leads to leniency. Not saying we need a hot head running things but I've never warmed up to Rojas as a major league manager.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
Honestly, that's the biggest issue with bringing him to the big club. He came through the ranks with guys like McNeil and Alonso playing for him in the minors so there's a familiarity that often leads to leniency. Not saying we need a hot head running things but I've never warmed up to Rojas as a major league manager.
We need omeone who knows how to walk the line between being a players manager and being a hard ass. Terry was that guy. I think Buck or Gibbons can be that guy. I’m not sure Beltran is that guy.

Longrod Von Schlongpepper

Little dick energy Opto aka NYRomy the Clown
We need omeone who knows how to walk the line between being a players manager and being a hard ass. Terry was that guy. I think Buck or Gibbons can be that guy. I’m not sure Beltran is that guy.
Yeah, I'm coming around on Buck. Maybe have him be manager and bring in a fresh guy like Beltran as the bench coach to groom as Buck's eventual replacement.

tejdog1

A Tej
"We don't really have one guy who's getting after people," McNeil told Gordon late in the season. "Maybe it's something we do need. ... I've never really had that on the Mets. Three or four years, I've never really had that."

I mean, you hit .320/.390/.510 in those 3 years before this one.

Agreed that:

-McNeil of all guys can shut up

-Rojas takes a lot of the blame for this. His job is to either lead and/or make sure someone in the clubhouse is leading.