Mets sign Jonathan Villar

Dr. K

Refugee
Hard to be upset about this. In previous Wilpon years this would be THE off-season signing.

nyrfan0815

Jeff Wilpon
He’s an extremely selfish player, Marlins got rid of him during a playoff push

cant forget him swinging 3-0 after like 7 straight balls
I watched him quite a bit and he did something dumb like that, or made an error or baserunning mistake in every game I watched him play. He’s fine as a bench player but a downgrade from someone like Marwin

joeidaho

Refugee
Is Mallex Smith making the team?
I would guess not - I'd think Almora has the edge over him as backup OF, and now Villar is there to fill the speedy/pinch runner/runner on 2B in extra innings role, but they can stash Smith and Heredia in Syracuse for OF depth (along with Tebow LOL).

dmtt61d

Veteran Refugee
They straight do not give a fuck about defense lol
They set out to prioritize upgrading our up the middle defense, and did that at C, SS and 2B, plus just signed a defensive CF for the bench. Adding a utility piece in Villar who’s not a gold glover doesn’t mean that they “do not give a fuck about defense.” The bigger picture directly says otherwise.

nyrfan0815

Jeff Wilpon
They set out to prioritize upgrading our up the middle defense, and did that at C, SS and 2B, plus just signed a defensive CF for the bench. Adding a utility piece in Villar who’s not a gold glover doesn’t mean that they “do not give a fuck about defense.” The bigger picture directly says otherwise.
We have Dom Smith starting in left, Nimmo starting in CF, and JD starting at 3b they don’t give a shit about defense

sross07

Veteran Refugee
if you have guillomre and almora off the bench, our defense will be better.
Need some offense off the bench to compliment that .. Villar and J Martinez fit that nicely.

Villar is a dumb player at times, but this move is fine. Adding depth.

joeidaho

Refugee
I wouldn't worry about the defense. If they are healthy, Lindor and McNeil should each be starting 140-145 games at SS and 2B, respectively. And I would expect Guillorme to get most of the starts when they are out of the lineup anyway (unless he is forced to play 3B instead of Davis). Villar's primary role is as backup versatility and pinch hitting/pinch running.

dmtt61d

Veteran Refugee
We have Dom Smith starting in left, Nimmo starting in CF, and JD starting at 3b they don’t give a shit about defense
Yes they do give a shit, that’s why they prioritized upgrading up the middle, as they did. And if a DH were available, they’d probably make a bigger defensive upgrade in CF to shift Nimmo to LF and Dom / Pete to DH. They clearly give a shit, and have clearly upgraded in multiple important spots.

JimMcH

Refugee
Its a nice pick up, he has 4, 3 and 2 win seasons under his belt over the past 5 years (with a few clunkers in there too). Has speed. Has some pop. Defense is bleh... but can at least stand at a bunch of different positions.

joeidaho

Refugee
Would you prefer to bench Dom Smith or Pete Alonso so we can start Jackie Bradley in CF? There is no DH as of now, they have to do what they can.

nyrfan0815

Jeff Wilpon
Yes they do give a shit, that’s why they prioritized upgrading up the middle, as they did. And if a DH were available, they’d probably make a bigger defensive upgrade in CF to shift Nimmo to LF and Dom / Pete to DH. They clearly give a shit, and have clearly upgraded in multiple important spots.
Cano got suspended and they added Lindor. McCann is ok. They don’t give a shit, the team is going to be bad defensively how can this be argued?

RM57

(((RM57)))
its a nice pickup.. he sucked last year sure, but he was good in 2019.

We need depth, and a solid bench..