New Manager Guessing Game

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
my friend sent me that with no context or anything of where it came from

I was surprised to see Joe Espada at 5/1 odds though...I've never seen him mentioned as a possibility, but it might not be a bad idea...the guy is still relatively young for a manager and has been a bench coach with the Astros for 3 years now and has been around a winning team before...I like Beltran as much as everyone else, but Espada might be the better choice...Espada also managed the Puerto Rican team in the WBC, so he'd be familiar with some of our players already

Spadanko

Manipulates time and space to tell us everything b
I don't think they will be going with a young guy. It's going to be someone with experience

Melvin
Hurdle
Gibbons
Showalter
Baker (if he leaves Houston)

I have a feeling it is going to be one of those guys

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
I don't think they will be going with a young guy. It's going to be someone with experience

Melvin
Hurdle
Gibbons
Showalter
Baker (if he leaves Houston)

I have a feeling it is going to be one of those guys
yeah, it's hard to say....I guess we'll have to see who the new POBO is so we get an idea of what direction they'd want to go

I'm really warming up to the idea of Joe Espada though...has experience managing teams, has worked with guys like Lindor, Baez and Lugo before, has been a bench coach with managers like AJ Hinch and Dusty Baker and has been around winning teams for the last 6 years

the_stone31

Refugee
Joel Sherman, who called for the Mets to fire Beltran is now asking if Yankees should pursue him for a coaching position

Boone is on shakier ground with his contract expired. It doesn’t help his cause that he and Boston’s Alex Cora started the same year (2018) and the Yanks have now been eliminated by their most hated rival twice since then. My guess (and it is just an educated guess) is Boone will return, but have to redo his coaching staff, particularly when it comes to the hitting end. Here is a thought: If Cora is back in good stead after the Astros sign-stealing suspension, should the Yanks pursue Carlos Beltran as either a hitting or bench coach?

Ballpark_Frankx

Bunting for Backman
The other thing with managing that not many realize is that it's as much about getting players to buy into your system of managing... Whatever that may be.

You at least need to demonstrate that you have half a brain and are beyond just an automaton . Which is why the Analytics at least using it exclusively in-game is complete and total BS.

When players realize youre willing to go out on a limb, they'll do the same for you. It's called respect!

ROACH 33

Veteran Refugee
They have to hire someone who can deal with New York last two ass holes they hired showed you can't just hire anyone.

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
I'm still team Mattingly.

I think he'd be good, and I'd have no problem posting how bad he is for four years, and then we can laugh when he's fired and say "fuck that Yankee, he's no Keith Hernandez."

Gomo

Veteran Refugee
I'll take one of Beltran, Showalter, or Gibbons I guess. Not much else out there.

joedabum

I'm reminded of an old quote that says that managers are simply hired to be fired. They all know this. So, we'll all be excited at the new manager, and then, just like when the season starts and the bloom comes off, we'll see that no one, NO ONE, is as wonderful as we hope they'll be. Then we'll start the usual bitchin', and all will be normal!

My guesses:

If we hire Beane, he hires Walt Weiss.
If we hire Byrnes, he hires Pat Murphy.

I’m predicting Showalter to the Padres, FWIW.