POBO Thread | The search continues!

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Two things, kind of Luhnow related.

First, Luhnow‘s track record on player acquisition and development is very very impressive. Surprised no one has brought him in in that capacity.

Second, Luhnow came to baseball with a business and engineering background. Still feel like Cohen has to have some untapped potential in the business world. His business is built on numbers guys. Feel like there has to be people there that could develop the next big innovation in analytics right under his nose.
I was mistaken about Luhnow harassing the female reporters about Osuna..it was someone else in his front office

but either way, Luhnow was the one guy from that whole cheating scandal that refused to apologize about anything...I can't imagine him getting another job in MLB

Daaaarryyl

Luhnow was the one guy from that whole cheating scandal that refused to apologize about anything.

According to Manfred, Luhnow adamantly denied knowing about Astros players banging on a trash can to signal specific pitches, or that employees in the replay room were decoding signs and sending them to the dugout. Manfred stated that while Luhnow didn't know about players' efforts to use technology to steal signs, he should have made it his business to know, given that the general manager is charged with ensuring that the baseball side of a franchise's operations comply with "both standards set by Club ownership and MLB Rules."
Probably why he didn't apologize- he's saying he's not guilty as charged.

Again, maybe he is a jerk. But man, I'm interested in him more than many other possible candidates tbh

Bobbyv13

Veteran Refugee
I was mistaken about Luhnow harassing the female reporters about Osuna..it was someone else in his front office

but either way, Luhnow was the one guy from that whole cheating scandal that refused to apologize about anything...I can't imagine him getting another job in MLB
I thought that they had evidence he did know but ignored it. From that quote above sounds like baseball found he didn’t know, but that he should have which is ridiculous. Maybe later I will go back and look into it more but I am more interested now than I see that. I hate the fake apologies. Kind of like him more if what he is being black balled for is refusing to make one.

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
What’s wrong with Brian Sabean? Didn’t he win some titles?
He was the Giants GM from 1997-2015.

He won three World Series with the Giants, but those teams, much like his late 90s success of making the playoffs and losing to us, the Marlins, the Angels and Marlins again.... were built in a very Steve Phillips prospects-for-veteran way that probably won't work in modern baseball unless you're the luckiest team to ever be lucky.... like the Giants were three times.

No franchise has had more 33-year olds post throw-back seasons regaining All-Star form like the Giants. Aubrey Huff, Cody Ross, Melky Cabrera, Marco Scutaro, Mike Morse... now this year with Crawford, Belt, Posey, Longoria.

Sabean would be a hard pass for me.

amazin port

Refugee
So if the teams don't allow the Mets to interview the Beanes and Stearns of the world, does Cohen go full on IDGAF, and sign whatever FAs he wants, and steals FO staff from the other teams by offering promotions and enough money to upset the executive pay scale currently in MLB?
I wonder if Stevie plays it the same way he does the markets, looking for value or creating the value. If Stearns is his man it's a case of:

Cohen to Brewers: "Brewers here's your offer, take it or i'll get him for free next years"
Cohen to Stearns: "im waiting to make you the richest executive in sports and family the best looked after in NY, it's either this off season or next".

I just hope we dont panic and make some rash decision.

amazin port

Refugee
TLDR:

Sandy doesn't want to be involved with baseball ops anymore, the POBO will have full power
Candidates aren't asking/worried about Sandy - they're asking about Cohen
Mets optimistic they can get Beane to interview, less so about Stearns
Dodgers assistant GM Brandon Gomes (former Rays player) has been brought up for a front office position. (I can't imagine that would be as POBO though)
All they need to say is....Look Steve: I love your enthusiasm, I love your ambition and most of all I love you'll give me....but could you run any Twatter spats through me first.

To be fair to Steve it doesnt appear that he's a controlling/meddling owner (ok he got Lindor....but so long that doesnt effect the rest of the payroll who wouldnt want him?). Didnt Sandy want Therapist and Stevie made the money available?

To be fair to Stevie and his Twitter involvement...HE NEVER gave away the Lindor signing and the interest in Bauer only became apparent at the very end.

This is the chance for someone to become the next Theo ....

Last edited:

egelband

Refugee
as a mets fan you really have to have me explain to you the damage a bad executive can cause?
The question wasn’t “would you rather have Alvarez or an awful stupid front office”. That’s a bit different. And very hypothetical. But sure, if that were the question, you give up Alvarez if the alternative is pure stupidity.

Daaaarryyl

It was in the trade deadline thread where an insider we respect said Cohen "told Sandy to make something happen"

I don't think Sandy makes that trade otherwise,

Not in a million years.

Daaaarryyl

Who cares, the PCA for Baez trade was a good trade. This isn’t the Wilpons forcing Duquette to trade for Kris Benson and Zambrano.
-Point I was making was that Cohen had something to do with both Lindor and Baez

-I don't think it was a good trade. Pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels that way

-I care. I care a lot. I'm a huge Mets fan.

Last edited:

Joey Dirt

Hopes Community College Can Compare
The problem would be if Baez isn’t brought back

With the jmac rumors that the Mets only made the deal to appease the fans and knew they had no chance of making the playoffs.

So if you trade a first round pick for a dude knowing you’re not actually going to continue to improve a flawed roster, accepting you most likely aren’t good enough to make playoffs… and then let that guy walk

That would be when it’s bad that an owner stepped in

amazin port

Refugee
-Point I was making was that Cohen had something to do with both Lindor and Baez

-I don't think it was a good trade. Pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels that way

As @BennySammy will vouch, I was against the trade as it was never going to push us over the top. However, after seeing what he brings and how he's performed I think he's a NY type of player.

I dont know the extent of the "make something happen", it could of been that Sandy/Steve both liked Baez and the go ahead was given to trade even though it may well have been too late for the 2021.

As @Joey Dirt says, if the idea was to trade for him in 2021 knowing that we intended to keep him (and he'd cost us a top 15 pick as a FA)....it was sensible business.

I agree with you, if it was Stevie saying I want Player X now and I dont care what it costs.....then we've got problems for the future (especially in finding a top POBO).

Supremedawg

Making Refugees Great Again
Administrator

It’s wasn’t a bad trade, Baez did his part. We got enough performance out of him to more than justify the trade. It only turned out bad because we didn’t make the playoffs but we were still in contention at the time and had no idea everyone would continue to underperform. DeGrom was also expected back when the trade was made.

Joey Dirt

Hopes Community College Can Compare
It’s wasn’t a bad trade, Baez did his part. We got enough performance out of him to more than justify the trade. It only turned out bad because we didn’t make the playoffs but we were still in contention at the time and had no idea everyone would continue to underperform. DeGrom was also expected back when the trade was made.

Eh. I disagree. They knew DeGrom coming back was probably not gonna happen.

They knew the team was flawed and didn’t like their chances at making the playoffs

ciarlatano

Refugee
Who cares, the PCA for Baez trade was a good trade. This isn’t the Wilpons forcing Duquette to trade for Kris Benson and Zambrano.
It's a tolerable trade if Baez signs without testing free agency. But, we could have signed him this off-season without giving up a prospect. If Baez leaves, PCA for a few months of Baez was a bad trade.

MAJERATI

Banned
Super Moderator
He was a first round pick but that’s a sunk cost. If he didn’t have the draft capital we’d all think it was a steal to get Baez back for just a mid-end prospect

amazin port

Refugee
If you're trading a first round pick (drafted by the existing scouting team) for 2 months performance and you failed in the objective, to get to the play-off ....it's a bad trade (or a terrible gamble that failed). If the whole idea was to protect next years 14th pick as we were going to sign him anyway (and assume he'd get offered a QO) then that's acceptable.

My concern would be if Steve sanctioned it against Sandy's advice as this indicates a conflict in responsibilities to which your Theo's/Billy's wont want to work under.

Personally, I hope it was a decision process: we like Baez, we want him for next year, he's going to cost us one of our top 15 picks in next years draft, we may as well try and get him now for the injured HS'er.

Last edited:

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
PCA hasn’t even played much. He’s a complete wild card at this point. His value has sunk.

Daaaarryyl

As @BennySammy will vouch, I was against the trade as it was never going to push us over the top. However, after seeing what he brings and how he's performed I think he's a NY type of player.

I dont know the extent of the "make something happen", it could of been that Sandy/Steve both liked Baez and the go ahead was given to trade even though it may well have been too late for the 2021.

As @Joey Dirt says, if the idea was to trade for him in 2021 knowing that we intended to keep him (and he'd cost us a top 15 pick as a FA)....it was sensible business.

I agree with you, if it was Stevie saying I want Player X now and I dont care what it costs.....then we've got problems for the future (especially in finding a top POBO).

You know what brother- I'm with you and I hope I'm wrong about the Baez trade.

I HATED the Derrick Rose trade w/the Knicks last yr-Like threw my laptop against the wall HATED IT--and I tell everyone I was WRONG about that.

I have no problem being wrong when it means my team benefits.

I Hope people laugh at me for my take on the Baez trade because he's a stud and we're WS contenders.

My fandom comes first.

Daaaarryyl

which hurts his value. He had a major shoulder surgery my guy. He’s lost valuable development time and he’s complete wild card at this point.

See now the severity of the injury is another thing.

I've seen others speculate that it could sap any power upside (was he a 45-50 power guy with a 50+ ceiling?) and if so that does make a difference.

Could still be a good not great player in the future.

But in a time where they're finding new ways to do Tommy John's and that the recovery time could be 8-10 months, I'm not giving up on an 18 yr old NON Pitcher b/c he needed shoulder surgery.

Supremedawg

Making Refugees Great Again
Administrator
See now the severity of the injury is another thing.

I've seen others speculate that it could sap any power upside (was he a 45-50 power guy with a 50+ ceiling?) and if so that does make a difference.

Could still be a good not great player in the future.

But in a time where they're finding new ways to do Tommy John's and that the recovery time could be 8-10 months, I'm not giving up on an 18 yr old NON Pitcher b/c he needed shoulder surgery.
Tommy John has nothing do with shoulder injury.