POBO Thread | The search continues!

Daaaarryyl

Tommy John has nothing do with shoulder injury.
Yes, but my point was that advancements in science based on the recent explosive Tommy John revelations lead me to believe PCA can have a great career and reach his ceiling.

To say an 18 year old is a meh prospect because he had shoulder surgery is ridiculous IMHO

Supremedawg

Making Refugees Great Again
Administrator
True, but my point was that advancements in science based on the recent explosive Tommy John revelations lead me to believe PCA can have a great career and reach his ceiling.

To say the 18 year old had shoulder surgery and is basically a meh prospect is ridiculous IMHO
19 and yeah he might have a nice career but that‘s not happening anytime soon. Earliest ETA after the setback is probably 2025. We’re trying to win now with the window we have with deGrom and prospects are chips, very few end up contributing to the major league roster even if he was a 1st round pick. We chose to use that chip and it didn’t work out. Doesn’t mean it was a bad gamble.

Ford Prefect

Refugee
I really wouldn't worry about our window being open/closed based on deGrom. Our mentally soft team manages to lose more games than they win when he starts. Until we change that, it won't matter how good he is.

Daaaarryyl

19 and yeah he might have a nice career but that‘s not happening anytime soon. Earliest ETA after the setback is probably 2025. We’re trying to win now with the window we have with deGrom and prospects are chips, very few end up contributing to the major league roster even if he was a 1st round pick. We chose to use that chip and it didn’t work out. Doesn’t mean it was a bad gamble.
Yeah, I'll give you that PCA (if he ever does become anything) will be years away.

Agree.

I just don't think that's a sound decision based on one guy who may or may not be a great pitcher the next 2-3 years on a flawed team.

Not fair to say it was a bad team because at the time of the trade they where in 1st

But also reports are they knew JDG was probably a no go or worse needed surgery.

My point is more macro than micro- And IMO it was a bad gamble

METropolis

Refugee
An interesting Cashman tidbit that one of Michael King's (Yankees reliever) family members shared with me about Cashman. I know King's family.

He said during one of the last games of the year, the Yankees were getting blown out. Boone decides to pitch King in that game in mop up duty (King had pitched a couple of times already that week). He proceeds to give up 3 runs in a third of an inning. In the middle of the inning, Cashman calls the dugout and screams at Boone for putting King in the game. Cashman tells him King is one of our high leverage guys and we need him and he needs to take him out of the game right now. Boone takes King out immediately and apologizes to Kind after that game for putting him in.

This is the type of guy we need here.

amazin port

Refugee
Whilst I agree with your first two sentences, I dont think we're going to be making a habit of trading away our young 1st round and blue chip prospects and they are certainly not going to be seen as chips.....unless they are superfluous to our needs (or dont fulfill promise in both hitting and play a defensive position of need).

My biggest concern about the PCA for Baez trade is if it was made by Stevie on a basis of needing to do something/anything, rather than doing a good bit of business.

Paddle Head

Friend of E$
He was the Giants GM from 1997-2015.

He won three World Series with the Giants, but those teams, much like his late 90s success of making the playoffs and losing to us, the Marlins, the Angels and Marlins again.... were built in a very Steve Phillips prospects-for-veteran way that probably won't work in modern baseball unless you're the luckiest team to ever be lucky.... like the Giants were three times.

No franchise has had more 33-year olds post throw-back seasons regaining All-Star form like the Giants. Aubrey Huff, Cody Ross, Melky Cabrera, Marco Scutaro, Mike Morse... now this year with Crawford, Belt, Posey, Longoria.

Sabean would be a hard pass for me.
+1

For years my buddy and I would always imitate a Mike & Dog conversation from like 2004 ish that ended with Mike referring to Sabean as “he’s the best Dog, he’s just the best in the game”. Was so hysterical because Sabean was obviously such a joke that big market media would adore. Also Savean pretty much set the standard for shit trades when he acquire AJ Pierzynskk for the Giants. Kazmir level awful.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
the regular season has been over for a week...let's get this show on the road already...I want a po boy in place before the offseason starts...we can't waste time during the offseason still trying to build a front office

RM57

(((RM57)))
the regular season has been over for a week...let's get this show on the road already...I want a po boy in place before the offseason starts...we can't waste time during the offseason still trying to build a front office
so what you are saying we should eliminate any candidate who comes from Tampa or LA? I know we arent gonna get approved to talk to Stearns, but you dont even want to try?

Yeah always good to eliminate all contenders from playoff teams

so what you are saying we should eliminate any candidate who comes from Tampa or LA? I know we arent gonna get approved to talk to Stearns, but you dont even want to try?

Yeah always good to eliminate all contenders from playoff teams
I'm just waiting for the Giants to close out the series so we can hire Byrnes the next day.

Jefe

Veteran Refugee
TLDR:

Sandy doesn't want to be involved with baseball ops anymore, the POBO will have full power
Candidates aren't asking/worried about Sandy - they're asking about Cohen
Mets optimistic they can get Beane to interview, less so about Stearns
Dodgers assistant GM Brandon Gomes (former Rays player) has been brought up for a front office position. (I can't imagine that would be as POBO though)
Probably Neander for POBO and I’ll say a dark horse candidate for GM in Brandon Gomes, if I’m saying a realistic type pairing. Could be an interesting blend of analytics and player development.
:g

baez will be a met next season, enough with this nonsense
That’s about the size of it. And despite the silly thumbs issue seemed to thrive in NYC. Seems like a NYC-type player. So if the taste of NY helps woo him instead of starting cold in off season a good move. Of course you guys have all off-season to over analyze possible Mets strategy. Carry on.

cmcm750203

Veteran Refugee
Lol that dude was terrible last offseason. Also did we ever actually fire Zackbot? Are they just gonna pretend he never existed?

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
Lol that dude was terrible last offseason. Also did we ever actually fire Zackbot? Are they just gonna pretend he never existed?
They're waiting for after his trial it sounds like to decide what to do with him. He had a preliminary hearing last week and I think his trial was set for December.

I assume they may be doing it so they can fire him for cause and not have to pay his contract? I can't imagine he'll be staying on unless he wants to take a lesser role

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
I have no idea why Paul DePodesta would leave the Browns right now when he's finally starting to see the fruits of his labor

My ideal scenario right now looks like it'd be Byrnes as Po Boy, Gomes as GM, Joe Espada as manager and Beltran as bench coach

we'll see if that changes over the next couple of weeks

Bobbyv13

Veteran Refugee
Joe Espada and Carlos Beltran? Santa Maria!!

They have to hire a manager with major league managing experience this time. Someone that comes in here with a developed way of doing things and can set the tone. I don't think anyone in that clubhouse is a problem. But when they aren't even being held accountable for drinking enough water, its time for a guy to come in there and be in charge. Set the standards and hold the players accountable when they don't do what is asked of them or they don't perform up to expectations.

mphbullet36

Refugee
Beane has got to be looking less likely by the day. A's have been eliminated for a while. You have to believe they would have at least requested permission if that was an option by now.

Bobbyv13

Veteran Refugee
Just because it hasn't been reported, doesn't mean they haven't. Would think all sides would want to keep it quiet at this point. Close enough relationship between Sandy and the A's that I think we would have gotten the report that Beane wants to stay put already if that was the case.

sross07

Veteran Refugee
Just because it hasn't been reported, doesn't mean they haven't. Would think all sides would want to keep it quiet at this point. Close enough relationship between Sandy and the A's that I think we would have gotten the report that Beane wants to stay put already if that was the case.
also there is usually a commissioner mandated moratorium on league news during the playoffs