Rojas fired (declining his option)

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
I have encountered a number of fans, mostly non-reactionary and non-social media older fans who think the ship has sailed on Beltran and want some new blood. For what it’s worth.

amazin port

Refugee
No offense, if millionaire adults getting mega-bucks to play a kids' game can't get motivated, how does a guy making a fraction of what most of these players make, inspire and motivate them?

It's not like he has the power to simply bench a non-performer. I ask this out of curiosity with no snarkiness intended - how does a manager do that?
Why not, if the manager is the one to take ultimate responsibility he should have the ability to bench anyone he thinks needs/deserves to sit. especially if the bench player's the hot bat. A good manager gets the best out of his players. A good manager imposes his personality on the team and whilst a relaxed approach may work with some, he needs to adopt a different, more direct approach with others.

Im not absolving the players for anything and at the end of the day they're the ones that got him sacked, especially when they started saying how they liked him, but failed to perform.

mphbullet36

Refugee
Rojas last straw was when everyone and their mother knew he should walk De La Cruz (the marlins best hitter who was smoking the ball all night) with 2 bases open to face Lewan Diaz who was hitting .100

and he used some lame excuse that Diaz vs righties is why he didn't walk him when Diaz numbers are actually better vs lefties.

Fargol

Refugee
Why not, if the manager is the one to take ultimate responsibility he should have the ability to bench anyone he thinks needs/deserves to sit. especially if the bench player's the hot bat. A good manager gets the best out of his players. A good manager imposes his personality on the team and whilst a relaxed approach may work with some, he needs to adopt a different, more direct approach with others.

Im not absolving the players for anything and at the end of the day they're the ones that got him sacked, especially when they started saying how they liked him, but failed to perform.
I agree 1000% the manager should be able to bench whomever he thinks deserves it, or impose whatever methods he believes are warranted. Sadly, that's not in the cards for today's managers other than maybe some guy who's been around for a long time.

If a good manager gets the best out of his players, then I don't think there are many managers who could be called 'good'. A few, maybe. Davey had consistent success (i.e. teams that competed for the post-season almost every year). I also question how a manager does that exactly.

Mets won 100 games and a WS. The next two years, with essentially the same team, they barely finished over .500. Was Gil a good manager in '69 but bad the next two? Other guys had success some years and won WS, other years, often with the same team, failed to even make the playoffs.

I've always believed a manager (at least in the last few decades) has very little influence on the success of a team. He can have a major negative impact if he's causing friction or other distractions. I don't believe Rojas is guilty of that. But yes, managers are usually the scapegoat and I think Rojas is one.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I cannot conceive of how a modern day manager can impose anything on modern players. Young kids/rookies, maybe. Not vets.

METS LEGIONS

It’s good to be the fantasy drama queen
Dusty baker would be great but I think Astros gonna resign him.

Baker would work magic with this team he is so underrated as manager all he does is take 5 different teams to playoffs as division winners.

He old school manager who is up with the new school players

FONZIE993

Troll?
Dusty baker would be great but I think Astros gonna resign him.

Baker would work magic with this team he is so underrated as manager all he does is take 5 different teams to playoffs as division winners.

He old school manager who is up with the new school players
Im not sure of that

sross07

Veteran Refugee
No.. a manager should not have carte blanche when running a team. For starters, he doesn't have all the information. But more importantly, why would anyone entrust 250million plus solely in one persons hands.

No offense, if millionaire adults getting mega-bucks to play a kids' game can't get motivated, how does a guy making a fraction of what most of these players make, inspire and motivate them?

It's not like he has the power to simply bench a non-performer. I ask this out of curiosity with no snarkiness intended - how does a manager do that?
There isn't much a manager can do to make his players "better" baseball players, but there is a lot he can do to mess up the chemistry, mental state and such of the clubhouse. The Lindor/McNeil thing was meh, ok.. no biggie. But then there were the never-ending slumps and the collapse once Jake went down for good. And then there was the thumbs down debacle. A manager is to "manage". Rojas was clearly not managing that situation. I don't see how he could not have known what the thumbs down meant, as they had been doing it for several weeks. If he didn't know, it proves he was out of touch with the clubhouse. If he did know, it's a damning indictment of him as a manager. So that whole thumbs down situation was the dagger. He was likely already going to be canned, due to the collapse and overall shitty performance of the lineup. But the thumbs down thing showed he didn't have a clue (whether he knew about it or he didn't).

So a manager is more or less there just not to let the talent fuck it up and Luis couldn't handle that role. There was just too much evidence of a disconnect. I don't look for a manager who will magically make us better, but a manager who will keep us from self-destructing is vitally important. That's a reason I'm iffy on Beltran for this hire, because he has no MLB managerial experience and we're taking a chance. We have no idea how he will connect with the clubhouse and keep guys in line. If you hire someone with an MLB resume, at least you know they know how to keep a clubhouse from going down the shitter and that's really what you want. We have the payroll to keep the talent.