Rumor: MLB announcement about return to Montreal coming soon.

SI Metman

Refugee
This is a play from Tampa to get a new state of the art stadium and out of the Trop once the lease is up in 2027. I don't think they care if the new stadium is in Tampa or Montreal. Could you imagine the crowds at a Jays-Rays game in Olympic Stadium? It's also a warning to fans in Tampa to come out and see your team, or watch them leave the country.

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
I think MLB is desperate for that expansion cash and trying to leverage Tampa and Oakland into building new stadiums so they can go ahead with it.

amazin port

Refugee
I think MLB is desperate for that expansion cash and trying to leverage Tampa and Oakland into building new stadiums so they can go ahead with it.
On a serious note, how do they expect to increase the number of teams when so many are struggling financially....ok there's an initial buy-in income (which I assume goes straight into the owners pocket), then income share will reduce that'll further effect the ability to maintain payrolls?

amazin port

Refugee
Secondly, on a more positive note.....lets get a list devised of who we can get rid of in the expansion draft.

sross07

Veteran Refugee
On a serious note, how do they expect to increase the number of teams when so many are struggling financially....ok there's an initial buy-in income (which I assume goes straight into the owners pocket), then income share will reduce that'll further effect the ability to maintain payrolls?
These teams arent struggling financially. The problem is the MLB keeps a lid on their books so both of us could be right, but in my mind owning a professional sporting franchise is a money maker. Look what the Mets sold for.

If the argument is about parity, well, that's true. But some of the parity decisions - Baltimore having no money on the books for 2022 - are team based decisions, not a reflection of the financial reality.

In terms of competition, they'd probably be better off contracting. But that'll never happen.

I say add 2 new teams asap to even the number of teams in ea league. Then reduce interleague play

amazin port

Refugee
These teams arent struggling financially. The problem is the MLB keeps a lid on their books so both of us could be right, but in my mind owning a professional sporting franchise is a money maker. Look what the Mets sold for.

If the argument is about parity, well, that's true. But some of the parity decisions - Baltimore having no money on the books for 2022 - are team based decisions, not a reflection of the financial reality.

In terms of competition, they'd probably be better off contracting. But that'll never happen.

I say add 2 new teams asap to even the number of teams in ea league. Then reduce interleague play
I meant "struggling financially" to spend on a roster....rather limiting outgoings (and revenue) and then the other teams having to subsidize the owners via Revenue Sharing.....who dont reinvest that money back into the game.

JPSchmack

Administrator
I meant "struggling financially" to spend on a roster....rather limiting outgoings (and revenue) and then the other teams having to subsidize the owners via Revenue Sharing.....who dont reinvest that money back into the game.
I don't see why they give a fuck about that.

Anything you could possibly say as a negative side of expansion is going to lose to "1/30th of $4 billion dollars in expansion fees is about $133 million, per team, for free."

amazin port

Refugee
I don't see why they give a fuck about that.

Anything you could possibly say as a negative side of expansion is going to lose to "1/30th of $4 billion dollars in expansion fees is about $133 million, per team, for free."
I never said the MLB would give a fuck.....the owners would love expansion, as you say that's a lump sum $133million in their pockets.

The negative is the potential strike as the MLBPA will rightly point to owners making that money without setting a salary floor, so that the Orioles, Marlins and the Pirates continue to spend next to nothing in salary as the owners live it up.

I suppose the location of the expansion teams plays a part, look at the Orioles situation since the Nats relocated or how another team in Florida would effect the on going finances and spending of the Rays and Marlins. It wont be expansion, more like dilution of existing revenues.

El Capitan

Refugee
This is a play from Tampa to get a new state of the art stadium and out of the Trop once the lease is up in 2027. I don't think they care if the new stadium is in Tampa or Montreal. Could you imagine the crowds at a Jays-Rays game in Olympic Stadium? It's also a warning to fans in Tampa to come out and see your team, or watch them leave the country.
The Expos weren’t close to league average in attendance since the mid 80s before folding in the early 2000s. What does Manfred expect to happen here. You’ll get an initial burst of people and then it’ll fade like it did last time. I’m all the way skeptical this will ever work.

JPSchmack

Administrator
I never said the MLB would give a fuck.....the owners would love expansion, as you say that's a lump sum $133million in their pockets.

The negative is the potential strike as the MLBPA will rightly point to owners making that money without setting a salary floor, so that the Orioles, Marlins and the Pirates continue to spend next to nothing in salary as the owners live it up.

I suppose the location of the expansion teams plays a part, look at the Orioles situation since the Nats relocated or how another team in Florida would effect the on going finances and spending of the Rays and Marlins. It wont be expansion, more like dilution of existing revenues.
You said "how do they expect to increase the number of teams when so many are struggling financially...." They're just going to sell two expansion teams to two groups who pay $2 billion or more, each, to get into the club.

None of the items you list are related...

For starters, expansion is a long process and they'll be closer to the NEXT CBA then the new one they have to negotiate by the time new teams take the field.

The league isn't designed to have "everyone make money every year." That's how player salary inflation happens. Most teams are part of corporate empires where the owner WANTS the team to show a loss of a tiny sum of money for tax breaks. The goal of half the league is to lose a little bit of money every year when you're not good, not spending money and your payroll is low.... then get good with a cheap team and make a fuckload of money.... then make money with that good team until you can't pay them all, rebuild and repeat.

The money to be made on sports franchises outside of the "cornerstone" markets like NY, LA, CHI, BOS, PHI, SF... is on the SALE of the team, not the ownership of it.

Another team in Florida? What are you talking about? The MLB expansion candidates are: Montreal, Nashville and Portland. Las Vegas is a possibility for the A's; Tampa has been flirting with Montreal. (I could see a Browns-like situation where the Rays move to Montreal and become the Expos and a new Tampa Bay Rays join as an expansion team with Nashville).

JPSchmack

Administrator
The Expos weren’t close to league average in attendance since the mid 80s before folding in the early 2000s. What does Manfred expect to happen here. You’ll get an initial burst of people and then it’ll fade like it did last time. I’m all the way skeptical this will ever work.
From 1979 until they traded Gary Carter, they sold 2,205,467 more tickets than the NL average.

Their attendance was below average from then until the strike screwed them out of 1994, when they had the best record in baseball.
And then the post-strike firesale of talent, they began the bottoming out that made it embarrassing and Loria came in and burned the place to the ground.

Montreal would be a fine MLB city with a new stadium and an owner who gave a damn.

MaghullMets

That stadium is an eyesore, they tried too hard to be “futuristic” and in reality it’s easily the most dated stadium in the league, why would you ever want to go there?

The Rays franchise deserves fans who care about it, because they’re just so well ran.

If Montreal brings that, then great.

JPSchmack

Administrator
Tropicana was designed in the early 80s, started construction in 1986. It was obsolete before the Rays ever existed.

tejdog1

A Tej
Would the Rays way of operating (trade Snell, let Morton walk) work in a major market?

Everyone here was destroying me for wanting to trade Wright in 2012/2013.

SI Metman

Refugee
Exactly. Chase Field opened in Arizona as a brand new state of the art stadium with a retractable roof. The same season that Tampa got the Astrodome circa 1982 in the era when Minute Maid, Miller Park and Safeco were being built.

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
Would the Rays way of operating (trade Snell, let Morton walk) work in a major market?

How did letting Morton walk (3.6 rWAR, 4.1 fWAR) help them in any way?

JPSchmack

Administrator
Exactly. Chase Field opened in Arizona as a brand new state of the art stadium with a retractable roof. The same season that Tampa got the Astrodome circa 1982 in the era when Minute Maid, Miller Park and Safeco were being built.
You mean the same season Tampa got a baseball team. Tropicana Field is about to turn 32 years old, the Rays are 23 years old. The stadium was on it's THIRD NAME when the Rays moved in. The Tampa Bay Lightning played three NHL seasons there before the Rays started.

The stadium was built to open for the 1990 season... for the White Sox.

JPSchmack

Administrator

Well, with money, the can keep Morton and trade only the guys for whom they can keep raping trade partners.