Rumor: MLB announcement about return to Montreal coming soon.

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
I'm sure people would like the winning but I can't imagine the way the Rays do things being as simple if it was a team with a sizable and vocal fanbase
You mean, that the team couldn't keep trading away guys for prospects if they had a big market fan base? If they had a big market fan base going to games... they wouldn't have to trade away expensive guys, and they wouldn't need to connect on 90% of their trades to keep being good.

JPSchmack

Administrator
Fun fact: The White Sox were leaving for St. Petersburg if the state of Illinois didn't approve funding for new Comiskey Park by July 1st, 1988...

When the clock struck midnight in Illinois, there was a party in St. Pete, champagne was popped.

But what they didn't know is that the Illinois State Legislature literally stopped the clock in the chamber, kept debating, and "officially" passed the funding at like 11:59 pm, despite their watches saying it was 2 am.

BooSisk

micropenis
You do realize all of Vermont and all the Yankees and Sox fans north of Albany can easily drive a few hours to Montreal right?
There are Yanks and Sox fans everywhere but nothing like all the northeast transplants living in Florida.

CatchTheRisingStars

Veteran Refugee
You mean, that the team couldn't keep trading away guys for prospects if they had a big market fan base? If they had a big market fan base going to games... they wouldn't have to trade away expensive guys, and they wouldn't need to connect on 90% of their trades to keep being good.
Yes that, but it also gets to the discussions we had about Bloom and whether we'd be in a better place having dealt Jake at some point

El Capitan

Refugee
From 1979 until they traded Gary Carter, they sold 2,205,467 more tickets than the NL average.

Their attendance was below average from then until the strike screwed them out of 1994, when they had the best record in baseball.
And then the post-strike firesale of talent, they began the bottoming out that made it embarrassing and Loria came in and burned the place to the ground.

Montreal would be a fine MLB city with a new stadium and an owner who gave a damn.
I’m sorry, but I think you just reaffirmed my post.

CatchTheRisingStars

Veteran Refugee
Fun fact: The White Sox were leaving for St. Petersburg if the state of Illinois didn't approve funding for new Comiskey Park by July 1st, 1988...

When the clock struck midnight in Illinois, there was a party in St. Pete, champagne was popped.

But what they didn't know is that the Illinois State Legislature literally stopped the clock in the chamber, kept debating, and "officially" passed the funding at like 11:59 pm, despite their watches saying it was 2 am.
So were the Giants once upon a time

bcuster

Heil Heilman
guessing itll still be Tampa Rays, just like when Montreal split time in Puerto Rico they were still Montreal Expos
When the team is in Montreal they are the expos and when on Tampa bay there are the rays. that is what the Buffalo bisons/Trenton thunder did…

JPSchmack

Administrator
I’m sorry, but I think you just reaffirmed my post.
How? Barring an outlier, half the league is probably below average, in any stat. A market that doesn't draw when the team sucks IS TOTALLY NORMAL. If every team sold out ever game, the Red Sox would be 27th in attendance... does that mean Boston can't support a team? Fuck no.

It's when you don't draw when you win that there might be a problem -- Tampa, clearly has a problem: A shit stadium in a shit location.

You're talking about expansion teams here. The Expos were the 24th team to join MLB originally, because the best markets got teams a fuckload closer to the beginning of the league. Someone's gotta be in the bottom half. That doesn't make it a bad thing

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
You missed my point. It didn't. But it's the way they operate, and they churn out winning seasons. But in a market like NY, etc... would it fly?
I still dont understand why would we want to emulate that part of the way they operate

At least with the Snell trade you could argue they are setting themselves up for the future

I think it's obvious the plan will be more aligned to be with the Dodgers model of success than the Rays

JPSchmack

Administrator
I was at a race track in the Bay Area and the PA announcer actually announced they were sold and moving to St. Petersburg. I think a few days later the deal was nixed by mlb though.
Yeah, MLB vetoed the sale because they did not want to leave the Bay Area to the A's, who were a dominant team at the time and would have a 20 million TV market all to themselves.

And honestly, the same is true now. MLB can't let the A's leave Oakland. If MLB has to build the damned stadium themselves using espionage to hide the money, they should.

robardin

Older East Asian dude seeing both sides
They shouldn't call a returned MLB team to Montreal the Expos again, that name referred to the 1967 World's Fair Exposition, which had just concluded the year the Expos were formally created (in 1968), and because the team's name would be the same in French and in English

Besides which, the MLB policy is that the records of the Montreal Expos (1969-2004) moved with them to Washington as they became the Nationals, and it might be confusing to have an "Montreal Expos II" without that link.

(Which didn't stop MLB from creating a "Washington Senators II" in 1961 after the original Senators moved to become the Minnesota Twins, though maybe they've learned their lesson after THOSE Senators moved after 10 years to become the Texas Rangers...)

The historical baseball team name of Montreal would be the Royals, for who Jackie Robinson played, but there's already a team named that in MLB (I forget what league/city... Probably haven't won a World Series in forever).

And carrying over "Rays" would be dumb, too

So... What? I dunno. I guess it's best left to the people of Montreal. If they want to revive Les Expos, so be it, eh?

SodaPopinski

Refugee
They shouldn't call a returned MLB team to Montreal the Expos again, that name referred to the 1967 World's Fair Exposition, which had just concluded the year the Expos were formally created (in 1968), and because the team's name would be the same in French and in English

Besides which, the MLB policy is that the records of the Montreal Expos (1969-2004) moved with them to Washington as they became the Nationals, and it might be confusing to have an "Montreal Expos II" without that link.

(Which didn't stop MLB from creating a "Washington Senators II" in 1961 after the original Senators moved to become the Minnesota Twins, though maybe they've learned their lesson after THOSE Senators moved after 10 years to become the Texas Rangers...)

The historical baseball team name of Montreal would be the Royals, for who Jackie Robinson played, but there's already a team named that in MLB (I forget what league/city... Probably haven't won a World Series in forever).

So... What? I dunno. I guess it's best left to the people of Montreal. If they want to revive Les Expos, so be it, eh?
i think you're over-thinking it.

as it was said in the beginning of baseketball:

the Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes
the Oilers moved to Tennessee where this is no oil
the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music

perreoking

Cousin Fucker

Montreal Mounties?

bcuster

Heil Heilman
I’ve never been to Tampa Bay and know nothing about that city. But I’d’ve thought the Rays deserve better…

sross07

Veteran Refugee
I’ve never been to Tampa Bay and know nothing about that city. But I’d’ve thought the Rays deserve better…
The area is actually awesome. (At least I like it). I love that climate and would love to live their. Must admit, tho, I wouldn't be attending Tampa games with the gulf right next door.