SANTA MARIA!!!! Vasgersian leaving Sunday Night Baseball

Willie777

Singing Country Music for God and America
Can't they back up the truck for Gary Cohen? I'd sacrifice Sunday games just so the national broadcast could at least be watchable from a booth standpoint.

Last edited:

sross07

Veteran Refugee
He got over exposed on MLB network, ESPN, and doing angels games. And he wasn't able to keep up. His angles broadcasts were terrible

You > Valent

Future POBO
stop being traditional and lame and try something crazy like Desus and Mero or some shit. who fuckin cares? everyone complains no matter who it is and they're always bad. don't let one stupid season of Dennis Miller on MNF ruin that type of leap forever

SodaPopinski

Refugee
The best thing would be for them to just pay the home team‘s booth to do the game. It would be interesting to hear the local crews from across the country and they know more about the teams playing anyway.
or at the very least have a neutral play-by-play guy and then have one member from each team's booth (pbp or or color...booth can decide amongst themselves or rotate) to do color for the broadcast. 3 man booth, neutral play by play, fresh and valuable perspectives from both sides...

SodaPopinski

Refugee
I know he did it well before his espn days, but the SANTA MARIA call has to be the most cringe-worthy reoccurring bit in american sports broadcasting history. give me the lamest call john sterling has ever done and it doesn't even come close to vasgersian yelling SANTA MARIA in an awful and awkwardly earnest fake italian accent

Dr. K

Refugee
I know he did it well before his espn days, but the SANTA MARIA call has to be the most cringe-worthy reoccurring bit in american sports broadcasting history. give me the lamest call john sterling has ever done and it doesn't even come close to vasgersian yelling SANTA MARIA in an awful and awkwardly earnest fake italian accent
Stop. Sterling is 1,000 times worth than Vasgersian.

MJB

King of QB/WR Horseplay
and it makes no sense lollll

SodaPopinski

Refugee
Stop. Sterling is 1,000 times worth than Vasgersian.
overall, absolutely. i actually think vasgersian is an extremely solid broadcaster that got bogged down by the espn machine

but SANTA MARIA on its own is a high water mark of awful calls

SodaPopinski

Refugee
and it makes no sense lollll
MLB.com: I love the excitement that you have when you do play-by-play. During exciting plays, you say, "Santa Maria." Where did you get that phrase?

Vasgersian: Man, I wish there was a better story to this. [Laughing]. My family -- and my sister, in particular, has one of her oldest friends -- [from an] Italian family. My sister's friend's mother is a wonderfully animated Italian woman, who says "Santa Maria" at a drop of a hat. For example, she goes to the grocery story and sees tomatoes are on sale. She will say, "Santa Maria, what a deal." I spent enough time around this wonderful lady for her to rub off on me a little bit. And I started saying "Santa Maria" when there would be some kind of superlative moment on a baseball field. When I was in the Minors, you never want to sound gimmicky, but I try to keep it in my pocket for the right time. It's kind of a sanctioned way of saying "Holy Blank."

Bobbyv13

Veteran Refugee
overall, absolutely. i actually think vasgersian is an extremely solid broadcaster that got bogged down by the espn machine

but SANTA MARIA on its own is a high water mark of awful calls
I agree with this. Used to think he and Smoltz was one of the better if not the best national broadcast booth,