SANTA MARIA!!!! Vasgersian leaving Sunday Night Baseball

Dr. K

Refugee
I’m used to his histrionics mostly because when I play MLB the Show he has HR calls that aren’t home runs quite frequently.

thegamev1

Refugee
They should have one designated PBP guy and then two color commentators, one from each team do the broadcasts. It’s obvious when these national guys don’t really know what’s going on with the teams and just play the same narratives. Think having someone who’s actually watched the teams could bring in some insight.

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered
This guy ruined lindors 3 hr game

Man he sucks. Good riddance

No idea why national games aren't just feeds of the home team booth and broadcast. Give viewers a nice sampling of the various teams thru the season

SI Metman

Refugee
We'd all like to see local guys do the broadcasts for National television, but there's a simple fact - 75% of the local guys outside of NY suck and are just as unlistenable as the National guys.

SodaPopinski

Refugee
We'd all like to see local guys do the broadcasts for National television, but there's a simple fact - 75% of the local guys outside of NY suck and are just as unlistenable as the National guys.
i would 1000x rather listen to a shitty broadcast team that at least has some familiarity with the players than have to deal with the plastic espn booth that spends the whole time trying to "sell" the game to the viewers rather than just call it like normal announcers

bubb87

They should have one designated PBP guy and then two color commentators, one from each team do the broadcasts. It’s obvious when these national guys don’t really know what’s going on with the teams and just play the same narratives. Think having someone who’s actually watched the teams could bring in some insight.
ESPN should back the truck up for bob costas and have the teams decide what color commentator to send. Would honestly be way better than anything they have ever had.

MetManiac22

Veteran Refugee
overall, absolutely. i actually think vasgersian is an extremely solid broadcaster that got bogged down by the espn machine

but SANTA MARIA on its own is a high water mark of awful calls
Came to echo this sentiment. He's a very solid broadcaster and when he was paired with Smoltz, they were solid. A-Rod sucks and there's no chemistry. And I bet ESPN forced him to be animated whenever a big moment happened.

Sunday Night Baseball hasn't been good since Jon Miller and Joe Morgan did it.

SodaPopinski

Refugee
Came to echo this sentiment. He's a very solid broadcaster and when he was paired with Smoltz, they were solid. A-Rod sucks and there's no chemistry. And I bet ESPN forced him to be animated whenever a big moment happened.

Sunday Night Baseball hasn't been good since Jon Miller and Joe Morgan did it.
and even then, we all bitched about that booth

morgan was actually legitimately pretty bad and miller was an otherwise fantastic broadcaster that got pulled into having to fake excitement over a home run in a mariners/rangers game

espn sets their broadcasters up to fail with all of their bullshit

sross07

Veteran Refugee
Morgan and Miller were horrible at the end. In the mid 90s they were tolerable and even good. I dont know if it's me aging or ESPN, but something changed.

The best thing ESPN ever did was the legends broadcasters they did one summer. Unfortunately, ESPN is trying to cater to the wrong crowd and I doubt they will ever change their philosophy

therapist

Out on parole
He got worse as he got more exposure. He gets so excited on calls now which is so different than he used to be.

I watched a few SF giants games to hear Miller. Forgot how good he was.

rpr95

What if they just have the home team broadcasters do the game? that way each teams booth can get some publicity.

UhOhMaggetteos

Veteran Refugee
Even if they replace him with someone good, ESPN producers will ruin them. They’re all about having their announcers talk about whatever’s trending at the moment instead of just announcing the game.