Tidbits

MAJERATI

Banned
Super Moderator
The only thing that scares me about Jake is that the shelf life of a reconstructed UCL is about 5-8 years. We're at year 10 and 2021 was very scary in that vein. Very scary.
lol this is outrageous

two mins ago: you cannot trade degrom, you'd be selling low!

now: although, his elbow is liable to snap at any given second... but that's my only concern. just a small one.

Willie777

Singing Country Music for God and America
this has been the mets' approach every season since we lost the WS to the royals FWIW
100%...that is why I made that post about 'the money' a few weeks ago...if Cohen gives no fucks, why not just build a championship team...bring Correa/Bryant/Baez whoever...pay for Stroman/Gausman/Ray whoever...assemble a mighty all-star team around your foundation of aging deGrom...

It just seems unlikely that is the plan given all the x-factors (cba, luxury tax, new FO, bad Met luck, bad free agent luck)...

tejdog1

A Tej
lol this is outrageous

two mins ago: you cannot trade degrom, you'd be selling low!

now: although, his elbow is liable to snap at any given second... but that's my only concern. just a small one.
Both things can be true.
You'd be selling low, and it makes no sense to do so. But his arm is potentially a ticking time bomb beyond the usual "he's a pitcher" reality. I honestly think you just have to ride it out. If he makes it through 2022 healthy and throws 185+ innings, you have to extend him. He's David Wright, and we're a win now team.

MAJERATI

Banned
Super Moderator
if you aren't planning on spending 400 million in payroll for 2022, then trade the guy. we've done the same shit every year since 2015 now

Kraft4Prez

Gossip Girl
The only thing that scares me about Jake is that the shelf life of a reconstructed UCL is about 5-8 years. We're at year 10 and 2021 was very scary in that vein. Very scary.
I feel like everyone is going 10+ these days.

Stras, Wainwright, Hill all have to be over 10 years by now.

Willie777

if you aren't planning on spending 400 million in payroll for 2022, then trade the guy. we've done the same shit every year since 2015 now
They can't trade him. He is probably untradable...not because people love him...but for all the reasons you want to trade him.

Willie777

deGrom is stuck with the Mets and vice versa...deGrom's only hope is that he is healthy...if he is healthy, the Mets will be in the position to extend him...there will be too much normie pressure not to for both parties (even if he secretly hates it here). If he isn't healthy, deGrom is forced to opt-in and you are stuck with him anyway.

BGKAHUNA88

Refugee
I think some of you guys are crazy, no offense. Jake is 33, not 37. Yes, he's had some arm issues, but nothing catastrophic since his TJ surgery as a minor leaguer.

Guys who throw 100 can age like Ryan, Clemens, and Johnson. He could lose 5 MPH, and still be dominant. He could have a lot of mileage left.
Jacobs body is revolting against him. Maybe he's the 1 guy who has figured out how to maximize his velocity as he ages. But, his body can't hold up. 3 guys you mentioned were all really put together. Even Randy Johnson who was 6 10 was 225.

For comparison
Roger Clemens 6 4 205
Nolan Ryan 6 2 170 seems suspect and had tree trunks for legs

Carlos Carrasco 6 4 224
Tylor Megill 6 7 230
David peterson 6 6 240

Marcus Stroman 5 7 180
Jacob deGrom 6 4 180 - Jacob could've used some weight training to strengthen up his body to say about 210 lbs.

Daft Punk

Proudly brewing Corona Virus since 2020
This thread is like those Facebook promoted videos where a semi-attractive suburban woman cooks some chaotic meal that involves boiling BBQ chips and pouring the spent liquid on top of a bunch of smashed up sloppy joes. You hate it, but you can't stop watching/reading/posting.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
The next discussion is what do we do when we don’t resign Stroman.
maybe we can trade deGrom for two guys we'd have in the rotation...have the Padres include Paddack and Lamet in a deal

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
This thread is like those Facebook promoted videos where a semi-attractive suburban woman cooks some chaotic meal that involves boiling BBQ chips and pouring the spent liquid on top of a bunch of smashed up sloppy joes. You hate it, but you can't stop watching/reading/posting.
The secret is, get this...

CHICKEN bullion!

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered
The next discussion is what do we do when we don’t resign Stroman.
get mad

then see a bunch of articles about the mets being racist or not able to spend or some shit and get even more mad

angels give him 200m and the mets news is "mets outspent by angels why dont they want to win are they poor and or racist?"

tejdog1

A Tej
Are the Mariners going to offer Marte + Hancock for deGrom? Is any team going to offer equivalent/two top 40 prospects? No, of course not. Don't trade him.

someone is gonna offer him close to 200 IMO
No way. He's not a 200 mil/year pitcher.

And if he leaves, this team is totally fucked next season. He has to be here if this team is going to compete next year... If he's not, trade Jake and blow up the team.