Tidbits

Ikeyman3

Refugee
Lmao people really think teams would trade a bo bichette or luis robert for 34 year old degrom making 2/70M with an opt out after this year?

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
I know we talk about how we're wasting Jake by not being good in his prime.

But the real problem is that over the last three seasons we wasted the cheap seasons of Nimmo, Alonso and McNeil as well.

Nimmo's 2021 was more expensive at $4.7, which lowers him on the leaderboard, but you'd be hard pressed to find guys who provide more WAR per dollar than Pete and McNeil the last three years: 8.3 and 8.0 WAR each, for about $1.8 million each.

Juan Soto put up 17.7 in that span, but cost $9.7 million

DeenNY31

Veteran Refugee
robbie ray is having like the only good season of his life. stroman has more value

gausman is gonna get re-signed by SF
Also Rodon who has most upsides of any FA pitcher this offseason
Though he has injury concerns but he has the best stuff imo

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
I mentioned Rodon last off-season. Apparently he only wanted to go back to Chicago. Hopefully things are different this time around.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Lmao people really think teams would trade a bo bichette or luis robert for 34 year old degrom making 2/70M with an opt out after this year?
maybe not Bo Bichette, but Luis Robert yes....deGrom is the best pitcher in baseball...even if he's 34 now, he'll still give you at least 2-3 years of being the best pitcher in baseball...if your a team like the White Sox, you are right there on the cusp of being one of the best teams in baseball....you add deGrom to that rotation, you could win multiple championships...losing Luis Robert is worth that...the White Sox have absolutely no farm left so they're in win-now mode...and even if they traded Robert, they have plenty of offense left

You > Valent

Future POBO
if i'm the White Sox, who are better than us now and tomorrow, and i find out deGrom's medicals are all good, i trade Robert for him in a second. they have plenty of talent left over.

Ikeyman3

Refugee
Dont think there is any chance they would deal 22 year old Robert signed for 6+ years of cost control for degrom. Ask any white sox fan and they would laugh that off. Degrom is a rental with his opt out

RM57

(((RM57)))
Dont think there is any chance they would deal 22 year old Robert signed for 6+ years of cost control for degrom. Ask any white sox fan and they would laugh that off. Degrom is a rental with his opt out
hey CHicago how would you like to trade Fernando Tatis Jr for James Shields

BennySammy

who gives a shit what the fans want? I'm sure there are Mets fans that wouldn't trade deGrom for anything, but that doesn't mean the Mets wouldn't trade him

BennySammy

and realistically, I'm sure a team would push that opt out back if they traded for deGrom, like how the Cardinals got Arenado to push his back

BGKAHUNA88

Refugee
There is no way Clemens was only 205
Agreed. It was probably his rookie weight and they just never changed it. But, the point is that all of those even RJ had strong foundations. Something deGrom doesn't have.
I just don't think his body can withstand throwing the baseball 2,600 times a yr at close to 100mph and that's not including the sliders he throws.

PS. I'm on the do not trade him side. But, if the right offer comes along you listen and think 3 yrs down the road. And, if trading him makes the most sense then so be it.

maybe not Bo Bichette, but Luis Robert yes....deGrom is the best pitcher in baseball...even if he's 34 now, he'll still give you at least 2-3 years of being the best pitcher in baseball...if your a team like the White Sox, you are right there on the cusp of being one of the best teams in baseball....you add deGrom to that rotation, you could win multiple championships...losing Luis Robert is worth that...the White Sox have absolutely no farm left so they're in win-now mode...and even if they traded Robert, they have plenty of offense left
We don't know how severe and limiting his injuries are. You can't go into a season expecting him to play a full season... That's going to hurt his value a lot.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
The Mets sucking again, deGrom being healthy/great and choosing to opt out instead of negotiating an extension puts the Mets in a tough spot. That’s what’s going on here, IMO. What happens when’s it’s July, we’re in 3rd place and deGrom turns down an offer?

The Mets sucking again, deGrom being healthy/great and choosing to opt out instead of negotiating an extension puts the Mets in a tough spot. That’s what’s going on here, IMO. What happens when’s it’s July, we’re in 3rd place and deGrom turns down an offer?
Honestly, if Stroman isn't here next season and he doesn't have an adequate replacement... Explain to me the logic in not trading deGrom?

ibew gold

Anybody notice Soto was sitting next to borass, long and Theo Epstein at the Los doyers game last night..?

Panic city lockout for collective bargaining agreement, give deGrom a statue he earned it!!

Whoppers97

Refugee
Jacobs body is revolting against him. Maybe he's the 1 guy who has figured out how to maximize his velocity as he ages. But, his body can't hold up. 3 guys you mentioned were all really put together. Even Randy Johnson who was 6 10 was 225.

For comparison
Roger Clemens 6 4 205
Nolan Ryan 6 2 170 seems suspect and had tree trunks for legs

Carlos Carrasco 6 4 224
Tylor Megill 6 7 230
David peterson 6 6 240

Marcus Stroman 5 7 180
Jacob deGrom 6 4 180 - Jacob could've used some weight training to strengthen up his body to say about 210 lbs.
225 is almost malnourished for 6'10. Johnson was far thinner than Jake.

JPSchmack

Administrator
Lindor coming here with the rep as the happiest guy in baseball and turning into murray/bonilla instantaneously is brutal
You know what? It's about time we had a good discussion of Bobby Bonilla. The narrative about Bonilla and the Mets is totally fucking wrong. Completely wrong, borderline insane. You heard me rant about Bobby Bonilla Day, but forget that. I'm talking FIRST TIME:

Career with Pirates: 134 OPS+
1992-1995 with Mets: 135 OPS+

Wait. What? But he was a huge bust! How can THAT BE? His batting average and RBI took a massive hit with the Mets (406 RBI previous four years to 313 next four years). His average went down, but his OBP was about the same.

Bonilla just played on a worse team (Not having Van Slyke and Bonds with you can do that), and we just didn't understand what stats actually mattered back then. He had a rough year the first year, bounced back to make TWO ALL-STAR TEAMS the next three years, and we ran him out of town, and everyone calls him a bust.

And then he came back, got bought out, which won us a pennant and got us David Wright.

BennySammy

yeah, people seem to just think Bonilla sucked, but he was actually pretty good...but in people defense, back then the only stats people cared about were the baseball card stats of BA/HR/RBI, and those numbers were much better in Pittsburgh

JPSchmack

Administrator
@nasalponcho that wasn't directed at you, I actually saw one of those clickbait articles while scrolling for a "Biggest Busts" story, with a picture of Bonilla, and I just found the quote and wanted to bring it up.

Bonilla played 3B and RF... hit a few more singles, hit a couple fewer home runs, struck out less, but OPS+ the same as Pete Alonso.

If Pete could play 3B like Bonilla, how would that affect everyone's offseason plans?

JPSchmack

Administrator
yeah, people seem to just think Bonilla sucked, but he was actually pretty good...but in people defense, back then the only stats people cared about were the baseball card stats of BA/HR/RBI, and those numbers were much better in Pittsburgh
Yeah, no doubt. But we're smarter than we were in 1995. And should all update that out-dated opinion.