Worst Current Contracts by Team

MJB

King of QB/WR Horseplay
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25885766/ranking-worst-current-contracts-all-30-teams

12. New York Mets: Yoenis Cespedes (2 years, $58.5 million)

Yes, I'd rather have Robinson Cano for five years and $100 million (the Mariners will pay him an addition $20 million) because Cano at least is still a good player. Cespedes will miss a large chunk of 2019 after surgery on both heels, and we don't know when he'll come back or whether he'll even be effective. For a four-year, $110 million deal, the Mets have so far received 119 games and 3.0 WAR ... and a salary chewing up a portion of the payroll that could have gone to Bryce Harper.

13. Washington Nationals: Stephen Strasburg (5 years, $138.3 million) or Patrick Corbin (6 years, $140 million)

Take your pick. Strasburg's deal includes a ton of deferred money, and he'll make $45 million in 2023, when he's 34. That's mostly an accounting trick, although perhaps one that benefits a 92-year-old owner. Corbin's deal also is backloaded as he'll make $12.9 million this season and $35.4 million in 2024. Anyway ... Strasburg certainly is effective when he's healthy, but he has qualified for the ERA title just once in the past four seasons, and Corbin will have to prove 2018 wasn't a fluke. I don't know, both deals just feel enormously risky in long-term value.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
it sucks that our last 2 big money signings(Wright and Cespedes) ended up blowing up in our face...now we have to deal with owners that are not only cheap, but also gun-shy

You > Valent

Future POBO
most of the stuff WC says and said about Cespedes was 100% true, he just usually picked weird times to talk about it

Ballpark_Frankx

Bunting for Backman
everyone knew that would end poorly, but most would still have signed him
It's true. This was a completely unforeseen injury for the most part. There were other parts of his game though that bothered me. And I think that's something most had a tendency to sweep under the rug.

The problem is, if bypassing a superstar who is dangling on the FA wire... and there's any kind of red flags happening with that guy... is it always the 'Wrong' move to not sign or even approach that player?

I knew one thing that was sure at the time we did sign him. That was that he would have to be our shiny toy for the next 3 years. And if we missed, we would have to live with it. Esp when the same happened with Wright simultaneously. In other words...no more big FA signings.

Funky Boobster

Still Strokes His Mom's Pussy
Except that there's no way the Cano situation doesn't end up worse.
36 year old middle infielder who felt he needed the aid of PEDs in order to continue to perform at a high level? Oh and also underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. And he's owed a shit ton of money through the ripe old age of 40.

Sure. What could go wrong?

DeeKay7685

Donut Licker
Who here knew Cespedes had two chronically bad heels requiring eventual surgery?
I don't remember this issue being raised back then. Then I would have offered a 1 or 2 year deal. Did Sandy know?

MG5

Fucking Frazier
I hate that “x player is the reason they can’t sign ___” stuff. Seems like an endless cycle with this team.

Joey Dirt

Hopes Community College Can Compare
Yea the Céspedes contract is way better than the cano

If Céspedes is hurt and can’t play we get money back.

If he’s healthy he’ll hit and he’s gone after next year

Cano could potentially be terrible for 3 of the 4 years

Fred Snow

Juan Negra
Yea the Céspedes contract is way better than the cano

If Céspedes is hurt and can’t play we get money back.

If he’s healthy he’ll hit and he’s gone after next year

Cano could potentially be terrible for 3 of the 4 years
Its 5 more years not 4. :sandydagawd

HomeskillitBennyA

36 year old middle infielder who felt he needed the aid of PEDs in order to continue to perform at a high level? Oh and also underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. And he's owed a shit ton of money through the ripe old age of 40.

Sure. What could go wrong?
I've heard from some here that because he hasn't shown signs of decline yet, he'll be totally fine for the next 5 years in his age 36-40 seasons. So I guess we can relax about it.

ciarlatano

Refugee
I've heard from some here that because he hasn't shown signs of decline yet, he'll be totally fine for the next 5 years in his age 36-40 seasons. So I guess we can relax about it.
I think some people here have him confused with single malt scotch......he will not get better with age from this point.

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
The term is WAY more important than the dollars.

The idea that 2/$58.5 is worse than 5/$120 is stupid.

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
It's bad because he's only playing 118 games in three years (maybe, possible more but no one is expecting anything in 2019).

But calling that worse than Cano's because Cano has a good OPS for a 2B is stupid.

Because his good OPS for a 2B was in a half-season because of PED suspension last year, and he's 36 and has FIVE SEASONS left on his deal.

jmac17

Veteran Refugee
There is a chance he never plays another game. That could happen to Cano too in 2-3 years. And we know the Mets won’t reinvest insurance money back into the team.

pedagogue

Veteran Refugee
There is a chance he never plays another game. That could happen to Cano too in 2-3 years. And we know the Mets won’t reinvest insurance money back into the team.
Him never playing again helps the Wilpons waaaay too much.

1. Inflates payroll.
2. Insurance $$ back.
3. Excuse to avoid Bryce/Machado.
4. Future excuse (at least 5yr worth) to avoid large contracts for non-deGrom players.