Your Off-Season Plan

What’s your off-season approach?

• Total voters

mphbullet36

Refugee
Honestly I don't see how adding incrementally and retooling for 2023 is an option unless you are trading Degrom. You have the best pitcher in baseball for a finite amount of time. The time to win is now.

Remember the Maine

Veteran Refugee
For me-

-Resign Baez- 6 years, $170m
-Trade Diaz and Peterson to Minnesota for Taylor Rogers
-Trade JD Davis to KC for Scott Barlow
-Sign Loup- 2 years, $12m
-Sign Stroman- 5 years, $125m
-QO Noah
-Sign Starling Marte- 3 years, $51m

SP deGrom
SP Stroman
SP Syndergaard
SP Carrasco
SP Walker

RP Megill
RP Loup
RP Smith
RP Barlow
RP Lugo
RP May
RP Rogers

C McCann
1B Alonso
2B Baez
SS Lindor
3B McNeil
LF Smith
CF Marte
RF Nimmo
DH Cano

I’d also be open to moving Vientos for a true LF or 3B (with McNeil moving to LF) and making Dom the super utility guy.

amazin port

Refugee
Honestly I don't see how adding incrementally and retooling for 2023 is an option unless you are trading Degrom. You have the best pitcher in baseball for a finite amount of time. The time to win is now.
We dont go in Panic Mode just yet. In the other thread you were panicking over deGrom's possible injury concern.

You evaluate whether 2021 was an abberation or whether that's what they are and move on. McNeil for instance has a part to play, may not warrant a starting position, but dont just under sell by cutting him totally.....and for him to turn into Justin Turner 2.0.

Re-sign the pitching (Thor and hopefully Stro) as the draft hasnt much near ready college pitching. Hopefully Ginn/Megil (or even Peterson) can establish themselves for 2023 when Carrasco/Walker are released as FA's.

Look at areas of weakness in the roster (and organisation) ......OF.

Re-sign Baez....he's proved he can play in NY.

Stop panicking.

amazin port

Refugee
For me-

-QO Noah

SP deGrom
SP Stroman
SP Syndergaard
SP Carrasco
SP Walker

RP Megill
RP Loup
RP Smith
RP Barlow
RP Lugo
RP May
RP Rogers

C McCann
1B Alonso
2B Baez
SS Lindor
3B McNeil
LF Smith
CF Marte
RF Nimmo
DH Cano

I’d also be open to moving Vientos for a true LF or 3B (with McNeil moving to LF) and making Dom the super utility guy.
Spot on....couldn't have done better. Id even go and seek Ramirez if it meant Vientos and a package of Lee or lesser prospects, but think it'll cost ALOT more.

mphbullet36

Refugee
We dont go in Panic Mode just yet. In the other thread you were panicking over deGrom's possible injury concern.

You evaluate whether 2021 was an abberation or whether that's what they are and move on. McNeil for instance has a part to play, may not warrant a starting position, but dont just under sell by cutting him totally.....and for him to turn into Justin Turner 2.0.

Re-sign the pitching (Thor and hopefully Stro) as the draft hasnt much near ready college pitching. Hopefully Ginn/Megil (or even Peterson) can establish themselves for 2023 when Carrasco/Walker are released as FA's.

Look at areas of weakness in the roster (and organisation) ......OF.

Re-sign Baez....he's proved he can play in NY.

Stop panicking.
no one is panicking. I'm just pointing out that its rare to have a talent like Degrom. We have been wasting his talent for years now. He will only be this good for so long.

You basically saying go all in since Stroman and Baez are going to be the two highest paid FA's on the market. I'm fine with your plan but saying that is not pushing the chips to the front of the table and just evaluating isn't correct. You are spending on two of the top FA's in the class.

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
That's not enough offense. Penciling both McNeil and Smith into starting roles is risky.

The only nearly guaranteed 125-130+ OPS+ bat who isn't going to miss most of the season is Alonso (career 138 OPS+, 134 OPS+ in 2021)

Nimmo: Career 131 OPS+ (132 OPS+ in 2021 in 386PA), but made of glass
McNeil: Career 124 OPS+, could be a top bat, could suck again (86 OPS+ in 2021), or end up in the middle
Smith: Career 104 OPS+, could be a top bat, could suck again (84 OPS+ in 2021), or end up in the middle
Lindor: Career 116 OPS+ (101 OPS+ in 2021), 1 full season with those top numbers
Baez: Career 117 OPS+ (117 OPS+ in 2021 though 141 OPS+ over the last two months as a Met), 1 full season with those top numbers
Marte: Career 116 OPS+, 2 seasons with those top numbers [2021 131 OPS+ fueled by BA/BABIP, gotta laugh if you think he'll come to the Mets and bat .312 next season]
McCann: Career 85 OPS+, could be decent or could suck again (77 OPS+ in 2021)
Cano: No fucking clue

mphbullet36

Refugee
That's not enough offense. Penciling both McNeil and Smith into starting roles is risky.

The only nearly guaranteed 125-130+ OPS+ bat who isn't going to miss most of the season is Alonso (career 138 OPS+, 2021 134 OPS+)

Nimmo: Career 131 OPS+, but made of glass
McNeil: Career 124 OPS+, could be a top bat, could suck again (86 OPS+ in 2021), or end up in the middle
Smith: Career 104 OPS+, dould be a top bat, could suck again (84 OPS+ in 2021), or end up in the middle
Lindor: Career 116 OPS+, 1 season with those top numbers
Baez: Career 117 OPS+, 1 season with those top numbers
Marte: Career 116 OPS+, 2 seasons with those top numbers [2021 131 OPS+ fueled by BA/BABIP, gotta laugh if you think he'll come to the Mets and bat .312 next season]
yeah penciling both mcenil and dom into starting spots might be too much of a risk.

amazin port

Refugee
no one is panicking. I'm just pointing out that its rare to have a talent like Degrom. We have been wasting his talent for years now. He will only be this good for so long.

You basically saying go all in since Stroman and Baez are going to be the two highest paid FA's on the market. I'm fine with your plan but saying that is not pushing the chips to the front of the table and just evaluating isn't correct. You are spending on two of the top FA's in the class.
Errr....not following you (again). Are you saying not to spend on Stro and Baez, who have both proved (well to me) that they can perform in NY, or that we need to spend on other FA's....if so who, so we can tally up your payroll.

NB....also putting a lot of store in Marte, which allows a middle of the order of Lindor/Alonso/ Baez, which better utilizes Lindors hitting abilities imo. McNeil is the big 'miss' from last season....his natural ability to hit 2nd was what hindered the lineup in 2021 (not that i'm advocating he hits anything other than 7th/8th/9th).

With this line-up im hoping on seeing Vientos/Baty as mid season promotions.

nyrfan0815

Jeff Wilpon
For me-

-QO Noah

SP deGrom
SP Stroman
SP Syndergaard
SP Carrasco
SP Walker

RP Megill
RP Loup
RP Smith
RP Barlow
RP Lugo
RP May
RP Rogers

C McCann
1B Alonso
2B Baez
SS Lindor
3B McNeil
LF Smith
CF Marte
RF Nimmo
DH Cano

I really like some of the adds especially Rogers. I’d be leery of trading Peterson though because we need SP depth. Marte scares me a bit but for that deal I would be completely fine with it. Team desperately needs an everyday 3b though and then maybe a utility outfielder to compete with Dom and McNeil who can also cover against injuries

amazin port

Refugee
I really like some of the adds especially Rogers. I’d be leery of trading Peterson though because we need SP depth. Marte scares me a bit but for that deal I would be completely fine with it. Team desperately needs an everyday 3b though and then maybe a utility outfielder to compete with Dom and McNeil who can also cover against injuries
If Mauricio/Baty weren't so close (or we make the decision on their future position) i'd agree on 3B. I realize that many fans on here dont give much creedance to giving prospects a chance, but even if neither of them make it as a 3B we may have a CF and an COF (respectively) of the future.

Just think it's a year too soon to go 3B, though its close. (would consider trading, but I fear Ramirez will cost Alverez....maybe take Donaldson off Twins as a stop gap).

RM57

(((RM57)))

The only nearly guaranteed 125-130+ OPS+ bat who isn't going to miss most of the season is Alonso (career 138 OPS+, 134 OPS+ in 2021)

Nimmo: Career 131 OPS+ (132 OPS+ in 2021 in 386PA), but made of glass
Smith: Career 104 OPS+, could be a top bat, could suck again (84 OPS+ in 2021), or end up in the middle
Lindor: Career 116 OPS+ (101 OPS+ in 2021), 1 full season with those top numbers
Baez: Career 117 OPS+ (117 OPS+ in 2021 though 141 OPS+ over the last two months as a Met), 1 full season with those top numbers
Whats your plan then?

a) There are no FAs out there at 3B or LF is is guaranteed to do bett erthen Dom and McNeil could. (McNeil sucked last year but his previous 3 seasons had OPS+ of 138/143/130. Yet you are willing to go based on 1 year of horrific offense?) Dom is a bit of a ?? but he is laso coming off of back to back seasons coming into this one of 100+ OPS+ seasons..

If you want to sign someone who is ging to sobetter then that, you are going to have to spend a lot of money. And hate to break it to you, we arent going to have a 300+ mil salary next year

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
Whats your plan then?

a) There are no FAs out there at 3B or LF is is guaranteed to do bett erthen Dom and McNeil could. (McNeil sucked last year but his previous 3 seasons had OPS+ of 138/143/130. Yet you are willing to go based on 1 year of horrific offense?) Dom is a bit of a ?? but he is laso coming off of back to back seasons coming into this one of 100+ OPS+ seasons..

If you want to sign someone who is ging to sobetter then that, you are going to have to spend a lot of money. And hate to break it to you, we arent going to have a 300+ mil salary next year
Bryant's a career 132OPS+ bat.

Probably a better spend than whatever Marte would cost despite his position.

Baez is fine (especially with his plus to elite D), but filling almost every open position spending $25M-$30M on 115 OPS+ bats isn't a wise strategy either.

Marte is 33 and a meh defender in CFer. He shouldn't be stopping us from adding a top bat, which he is not despite his numbers in 2021.

Trade for Jose Ramirez
Sign Starling Marte
Explore Baez, if cost isn’t crazy sign him back
Conforto only on QO otherwise bye
If no Baez, find best offensive fit for either 2B or COF, someone like Chris Taylor or Tommy Pham, mcneil plays 2B or LF
Bring back Thor and Stroman

amazin port

Refugee
Bryant's a career 132OPS+ bat.

Probably a better spend than whatever Marte would cost despite his position.
Not going to argue with that at all.....love the idea that Bryant allows us the flexibility to fit in Mauricio/Baty or even Vientos at a push at LF around someone able to play 3B or COF.

Just wondering around the cost?

nyrfan0815

Jeff Wilpon
If Mauricio/Baty weren't so close (or we make the decision on their future position) i'd agree on 3B. I realize that many fans on here dont give much creedance to giving prospects a chance, but even if neither of them make it as a 3B we may have a CF and an COF (respectively) of the future.

Just think it's a year too soon to go 3B, though its close. (would consider trading, but I fear Ramirez will cost Alverez....maybe take Donaldson off Twins as a stop gap).
Yeah Donaldson is kinda who I was thinking. I think getting a guy who can cover the position for 2-3 years would be a good thing

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
I don’t wanna name names because I just don’t know who’s available in trade. But a new 3B, OF and Vientos at DH. McNeil to LF, Stroman resigned, Baez resigned. Davis traded. Dom traded or benched. Diaz traded. Lugo and Castro non tendered. Our new smart POBO filling the rosters with under the radar, value players both as 25 man guys and depth signings.

the_stone31

Refugee
Ramón Laureano. His first name is Ramón. That's a cool name. Has range in CF, knows how to catch a ball well too. Has some pop, does steroids, is willing to fight our opponents bench coach, suspension ends in April

nyrfan0815

Jeff Wilpon
I don’t wanna name names because I just don’t know who’s available in trade. But a new 3B, OF and Vientos at DH. McNeil to LF, Stroman resigned, Baez resigned. Davis traded. Dom traded or benched. Diaz traded. Lugo and Castro non tendered. Our new smart POBO filling the rosters with under the radar, value players both as 25 man guys and depth signings.
Non tendering Lugo would be really dumb

Ford Prefect

Refugee
So what are the odds that this year we get some actual decision on DH in the NL before say March? Because if that is still a possibility, then it really impacts how the Mets should go about their business.

Personally I really do think we need to blow it all up and start over, but I know that's not going to happen.

This team needs a lot more than just a tweak here and there. Resign Baez & Stroman & Back up the $ truck for Correa for starters. Hope that Conforto accepts his QO and actually shows up next year. Don't know what we're gonna do for pitching though as the FA class after stroman is pretty much ass. If we have the DH then yeah sure what the hell is another 180+ million for Freeman. chump change.

nyrfan0815

Jeff Wilpon
Maybe so, maybe not. But based on last offseason this board should probably keep quiet with their bullpen picks.
But why would doing it make sense? I get bullpens can be a crapshoot but he’s been good and will probably make like 5-6 million

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
So what are the odds that this year we get some actual decision on DH in the NL before say March? Because if that is still a possibility, then it really impacts how the Mets should go about their business.

Personally I really do think we need to blow it all up and start over, but I know that's not going to happen.

This team needs a lot more than just a tweak here and there. Resign Baez & Stroman & Back up the $ truck for Correa for starters. Hope that Conforto accepts his QO and actually shows up next year. Don't know what we're gonna do for pitching though as the FA class after stroman is pretty much ass. If we have the DH then yeah sure what the hell is another 180+ million for Freeman. chump change.
The DH will be used by the owners as a bargaining piece in the CBA, so we'll likely have an idea on whether it will be in place by the time most signings happen.

Keep in mind - the entire offseason is paused if a new CBA isn't agreed to by December 1st, and in all likelihood it won't be.