Your Off-Season Plan

What’s your off-season approach?

• Total voters

mphbullet36

Refugee
you are going to be grossly disappointed if you think Cohen is just going to be out here spending money hand over fist and have a 300M+ payroll..

We need help at 3B, atleast 1 OFer, atleast 2-3 SP's and some bullpen help.. Cant just spend money willy nilly.. prepare to feel bamboozled if you think we are...
we are talking about 3 MM RP right?

LuvsBBCnews

Ouranus Power Bottom
Resign Baez- 6/150
Resign Stro- 4/100
Resign Villar
Get Noah back on the QO
Offer Conforto the QO as well I think he declines
Trade Dom/JD for a pen pieces and Donaldson
Sign Marte- 3/51 club option for 4th year @ 20 mil
Sign Verlander- 1/20 club option for 2nd year @ 25 mil
Sign Castellanos- 4/80
Sign Cueto- (don't know what I give him but he should be cheap)

Nimmo- LF
Lindor- SS
Castellanos- DH
Pete- 1B
Donaldson- 3B
Baez- 2B
Marte- CF
McNeil- RF
McCann- C

Jake
Verlander
Stro
Thor
Cueto

Walker (swing guy will end up starting sometimes)
McGill
Peterson

Not doing the pen or bench

Daft Punk

Proudly brewing Corona Virus since 2020
My personal plan is not to think about baseball once and forget 2021 even happened.

Reactions: WC

mphbullet36

Refugee
I kind of want Lugo back because he's been so good for us in the pen except for last year when he was okay. And he's probably going to be extra motivated to perform in a contract year.

But bphunke has the right idea for the most part.
I don't disagree with the approach. I wouldn't be excited about "running it back". But for the most part the bullpen wasn't an issue this year. They faltered at the end of the season more than we like but I chalk that up to more overuse. Our starters were barely going 5 innings (if that). We were relying way too much on them it was bound to implode.

I think there is this idea that there are significantly better options on the open market to replace guys like Diaz and Lugo. When there simply aren't.

I think the board is infatuated with Diego Castillo types and Diego Castillo isn't better than Edwin Diaz. The rays wouldn't have gotten rid of Diego Castillo if they thought he was an elite back of the bullpen piece.

amazin port

Refugee
Marte is 33 coming off a career year. No, just no.
He's not the long term Saviour, though he fills a number of needs: gets on base, improves defense (allowing lesser defensive player to play COF) and balances the line-up.
We need to do something about the OF (if it comes down to OF or 3B)....our COF were worse in 2021 imo.

Ford Prefect

Refugee
This board can’t wait to bring back the same shit for even more money.
yeah but next year will be different because surely they all can't have the worst seasons of their life, and/or be the most injured team in baseball again, and/or can't have a manager who doesn't know what he's doing, and/or can't hit with RISP. i mean yeah we say this every damn year, but next year will be different.:rolleyes:

mphbullet36

Refugee
People just want Diaz gone. He's an average-ish closer that we're paying $10M and was the reason behind one of the worst trades ever.
I get it but its not reason to cut off your nose to spite your face. Diaz has his bad moments. Every closer does. And its not like Josh Hader is making it to the open market. So we are just going to play this game next year with a new closer that we hate.

Every team hates there closer because its one of the most high profile jobs in baseball. They pitch the most important inning in baseball usually with a small lead or the game is tied. Its the most scrutinized job.

People act like Mariano Rivera's are just sitting out there waiting to be found.

Last edited:

tejdog1

A Tej
If Taylor Rogers is healthy, trading for him is a good call. Do the Cano trade only fucking right this time. I might be overpaying here, but keep in mind that in general if you're all right with a deal, it's not enough for the other side.

trade: Diaz, Vientos, Palmer to MIN for Donaldson, Rogers
trade: JD Davis, Carlos Cortes, David Peterson to KCR for Scott Barlow, Kyle Isbel
trade: Baty/Mauricio, Allan/Ginn, Lee, lower level prospect to COL for German Marquez

Sign Kris Bryant for RF: 4-6 years at 23-27 mil per
Sign Kevin Gausman (no QO): 4-6 years at 23-27 mil per
re-sign Baez for 4-6 years at 23-27 mil per
re-sign Stroman for 4-6 years at 23-27 mil per
re-sign Loup for who fucking knows (and be prepared for a 7.75 era next year because LULZ relievers)
Sign Craig Kimbrel for 3 years at 13-14 mil per
Sign Andrew Chafin for 2 years at 6.5 mil per

deGrom, Gausman, Marquez, Stroman, Carrasco
Kimbrel, Rogers, Barlow, Walker, Lugo, Loup, Chafin, Castro as your long reliever/throw to the sharks guy for whatever he gets in arby isn't horrible

8 Nimmo
3 Alonso
7 McNeil
9 Bryant
6 Lindor
5 Donaldson
4 Baez
dh Smith
2 McCann

All of this is probably unrealistic as I'm pretty sure this team's payroll is like 450 mil.

mphbullet36

Refugee
If Taylor Rogers is healthy, trading for him is a good call. Do the Cano trade only fucking right this time. I might be overpaying here, but keep in mind that in general if you're all right with a deal, it's not enough for the other side.

trade: JD Davis, Carlos Cortes, David Peterson to KCR for Scott Barlow, Kyle Isbel
trade: Baty/Mauricio, Allan/Ginn, Lee, lower level prospect to COL for German Marquez

re-sign Loup for who fucking knows (and be prepared for a 7.75 era next year because LULZ relievers)

Kimbrel, Rogers, Barlow, Walker, Lugo, Loup, Chafin, Castro as your long reliever/throw to the sharks guy for whatever he gets in arby isn't horrible

8 Nimmo
3 Alonso
7 McNeil
9 Bryant
6 Lindor
5 Donaldson
4 Baez
dh Smith
2 McCann

All of this is probably unrealistic as I'm pretty sure this team's payroll is like 450 mil.
I was about to say your payroll is ridiculous LOL

joedabum

For me-

-Resign Baez- 6 years, $170m
-Trade Diaz and Peterson to Minnesota for Taylor Rogers
-Trade JD Davis to KC for Scott Barlow
-Sign Loup- 2 years, $12m
-Sign Stroman- 5 years, $125m
-QO Noah
-Sign Starling Marte- 3 years, $51m

SP deGrom
SP Stroman
SP Syndergaard
SP Carrasco
SP Walker

RP Megill
RP Loup
RP Smith
RP Barlow
RP Lugo
RP May
RP Rogers

C McCann
1B Alonso
2B Baez
SS Lindor
3B McNeil
LF Smith
CF Marte
RF Nimmo
DH Cano

I’d also be open to moving Vientos for a true LF or 3B (with McNeil moving to LF) and making Dom the super utility guy.
McNeil NOT a 3B. Smith NOT a LF.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
I want a CF and a 3rd baseman as top priority, but I'd rather sign a short term answer at 3rd and make a trade if we want a long term option...with Vientos, Baty and Mauricio all sitting there, I'd rather give them a chance at taking the spot or trading them to get someone who would be a solid piece...Jose Ramirez would be the perfect guy to make a trade for, but the Guardians will exercise that option at like a third of his actual value...our only chance for Ramirez is him being completely disgruntled in Cleveland and he forces a trade like Donaldson did with the A's

Dr. K

Refugee

8 Nimmo
3 Alonso
7 McNeil
9 Bryant
6 Lindor
5 Donaldson
4 Baez
dh Smith
2 McCann

I stopped reading when you had McNeil batting 3rd and Lindor batting 5th.

tejdog1

A Tej
I stopped reading when you had McNeil batting 3rd and Lindor batting 5th.
See, the thing is, I'm way more inclined to just... chalk up McNeil's 2021 as one of those things that happens in baseball because #baseball. From 2018-2020 McNeil is literally the most ideal 3 hitter you could've had (139 wRC+). And I'm pretty sure Alonso's best numbers of his career have come with him hitting 2nd. And Lindor's career wRC+ is good, not great. 118 or so IIRC.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
Closers all sucks and are overrated which why we shouldn’t pay a lot of money for one. McGill for closer!

tejdog1

A Tej
Lets try this without going insane.

This adds what...
Rogers probably going to get as much as/close to Diaz in arby, so it's a straight Donaldson salary addition to payroll? +21
Marquez makes 11m next year, +11

So left with approximately 45 mil to spend.

Gausman and Bryant would be who I'd target. So there's my not going insane offseason. I don't think it's enough.

bphunke

Rephugee
Administrator
He’s also probably not available. The front office isnt blowing up the farm anyway.

Last edited: