Your Off-Season Plan

What’s your off-season approach?

• Total voters

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Buxton and Donaldson would make us better without having to give up too much...Minny may be willing to shed the salary

Joey Dirt

Hopes Community College Can Compare
the thing about Chapman is that he's going to get a significant raise in arbitration...he'll likely get more than what Diaz is gonna get and then if we trade them another player that can replace Chapman after this season, they're getting to save money...they can also use Diaz as a trade piece at the trading deadline if they fall out of contention

and with Ramon Laureano, who knows the A's stance after the PED suspension

but like I mentioned, it's my ideal scenario that's somewhat feasible....pie in the sky scenario is adding Mike Trout
just because these players are expensive for the A's doesn't mean other teams won't give up top prospects for ALL-STAR players. Chapman is probably a top what? 5 3B in the MLB.

we can't just be like ... hey you don't want to pay chapman.. so pay a closer 10 mil and we'll give you some other shit. oh and throw in your all-star CF

BennySammy

just because these players are expensive for the A's doesn't mean other teams won't give up top prospects for ALL-STAR players. Chapman is probably a top what? 5 3B in the MLB.

we can't just be like ... hey you don't want to pay chapman.. so pay a closer 10 mil and we'll give you some other shit. oh and throw in your all-star CF
Chapman is a top tier defender but they can improve on his bat...he was pretty awful with the bat this year

the_stone31

Refugee
With the idea of trading for Buxton, are we thinking that bringing an injury prone player to an injury prone team will reverse that and he'll play 162?

Joey Dirt

Hopes Community College Can Compare
His “down year” was still 27 HRs and a 100 OPS+

.791 OPS on the road
.639 OPS at home

smart teams would be all over him

BennySammy

His “down year” was still 27 HRs and a 100 OPS+

.791 OPS on the road
.639 OPS at home

smart teams would be all over him
so when the A's hitter has a down year, he would be a smart pickup

any Met has a down year, he's done and we have to trade him

LuvsBBCnews

Ouranus Power Bottom
100 OPS+ is not good...that's average...he hit a bunch of HRs though
100 OPS+ at 3B is OK and is a valuable player if they can field. Much like Lindor had offensive value with his 101 OPS+ because he plays SS. It's also why McNeil was on pace to still have a 2 WAR season over 162 games, because he plays 2B.

Dom on the other hand needs to OPS+ 120 or higher to have any value. Pete is the same way but Pete I'm confident will.

Last edited:

BennySammy

if the A's are expecting a 100 OPS+ from Chapman, he's not going to be worth the $12+ mil he'd get in arbitration from the A's

but again, we'll see...we have no idea what the A's reaction is about Laureano getting the suspension and maybe they'd move him...if they want to also move Chapman before he becomes their only player making over $10 mil in 2022, we should throw our hat into that ring....the A's farm is kinda barren

NYJ0815

The weather calls for cock
I voted for the drunken sailor, but realistically it's minimal. There's no middle ground option between blowing it up and making some important tweaks. And building for down the road is stupid with DeGrom not getting younger. Ex. I realize we probably can't move Dom AND McNeil, but I really want to move one of them, preferably McNeil. Overall, there needs to be some big changes to the mix, but I don't think a blow-it-up style overhaul is necessary, nor is it particularly likely under the circumstances.

NYJ0815

The weather calls for cock
I mean realistically, in that position, you deal off the one that has the most value. And that isn't Dom. And if you bring back Baez, where is the logic in holding McNeil? Obviously, the math changes if you want Baez out.

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered
the big difference from my opinion this year compared to last year is that i learned Dom Smith and Jeff McNeil are not good players that can anchor a lineup, and are actually garbage

BennySammy

Buxton is the exact kind of player we need to add....it just sucks that he can't stay healthy

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
A guy I've mentioned over the years is a FA again, Jordan Lyles. Nothing exciting but he'd be perfect in a longman/swing role to provide much needed innings and depth. He'll probably get a chance to be someones backend starter but I wouldn't mind paying a little more similar to how we got Villar last offseason to lock him up as a depth piece.

Longrod Von Schlongpepper

Little dick energy Opto aka NYRomy the Clown
Anyone even consider that McNeil was hurt most of the year? Or that Dom may be another Hojo type? Most of you would have bailed on Johnson after his '90 season. He went from a .928 OPS and 169 OPS+ in 89 to a .753 OPS and a 106 OPS+ in 1990. Those of us old enough to remember him know he was inexplicably good one year and average the next. Not saying give Dom a starting job but to cut ties with a guy under team control after a down year is just terrible asset management.

ChocolateZorro

Uniquely Gendered

i dunno enough to fill out all the arb numbers, but based on that heres what we got to work with:

1B alonso -
2B mcneil -
3B guillorme -
SS lindor - 34m
CF nimmo -
LF dom smith -
RF
C mccann - 8m
DH cano - 20m

pillar - 3m
JD davis -
martinez -
peraza -
nido -

degrom - 21m
walker - 7m
carassco - 12m
williams -
peterson -
lucchesi -
stock -
oswalt -

diaz -
may - 8m
lugo -
castro -
drew smith -
gsellman -

i rounded those figures to closest

including other payroll items we are about 112m before figuring out who all to keep, where to play them, what to pay them, and who to add via FA

CatchTheRisingStars

Veteran Refugee
Anyone even consider that McNeil was hurt most of the year? Or that Dom may be another Hojo type? Most of you would have bailed on Johnson after his '90 season. He went from a .928 OPS and 169 OPS+ in 89 to a .753 OPS and a 106 OPS+ in 1990. Those of us old enough to remember him know he was inexplicably good one year and average the next. Not saying give Dom a starting job but to cut ties with a guy under team control after a down year is just terrible asset management.
This is just how it is when you root for a perennially bad team. Have you read Knicks and Jets threads?

COMMISH 86

Donaldson is the most realistic/viable trade option....the LEAST painful in terms of demanded prospects back..with the option/potential to expand deal address a 2nd and even 3rd need..whether CF Buxton and rp. With each additional player added..likelihood dom and or mcneil are needed to be included..

BennySammy

Let's just go through the free agents and see who we can actually go after...I'll use fangraphs model of ranking them by 2021 WAR

1. Marcus Semien: Will likely cost a first round pick for us and will get Baez type money. I'd rather get Baez
2. Carlos Correa: Will likely cost a first round pick and will probably get a $300+ mil contract. I'd love to get him, but it'll be tough
3. Starling Marte: Won't cost a first round pick, but I feel like he's not going to be worth the money he'd get paid
4. Max Scherzer: Won't cost a first round pick, but I don't think he'd want to come to the Mets
5. Carlos Rodon: Will most likely stay with the White Sox
6. Kevin Gausman: Will most likely stay with the Giants(Won't cost a first round pick though)
7. Freddie Freeman: Will cost a first round pick almost and we'd have to hope he'd want to leave the Braves. We could only go after him if we're sure there's a DH, but he should be our #1 target if he hits free agency
8. Robbie Ray: Will cost a first round pick and will probably cost more than Stroman
9. Eduardo Rodriguez: No idea he had such a good season, but he'll probably re-sign in Boston
10. Corey Seager: Dodgers will likely offer the QO, but I don't think they heavily pursue Seager when they already have Trea Turner, Gavin Lux and Justin Turner. He'd be a nice get for the Mets though

Some other notables not in the top 10:

Javier Baez: I'm thinking we re-sign him
Marcus Stroman: I think we re-sign him as well
Chris Taylor: Can play both 3rd base and CF
Mark Canha: If there's a DH in the NL, he might be a good option
Jon Gray: One of the more underrated SPs on the market, but he is really good. Unfortunately he would likely cost us a first round pick, so it hurts his value for us. Every other team can sign him without giving up a first round pick
Jonathan Villar: If he's willing to play the same role he played for us this year, we should definitely consider signing him. I just think some team would offer him more money. It just sucks if we lose him because he's not good enough to give a QO to

Longrod Von Schlongpepper

Little dick energy Opto aka NYRomy the Clown
This is just how it is when you root for a perennially bad team. Have you read Knicks and Jets threads?
Oh, I get it. This year was extremely frustrating. If it weren't for a terrible division we would have been buried by June. But any year that you use 19 starting pitchers can't be one to blame on poor performance alone. The offense shit the bed this year. Can't just jettison everyone because then you lose the one valuable thing about some of them, their cost and control.

Need to go into next year under the assumption that guys like Dom, JD, and McNeil are not guaranteed anything. But unless you can get an upgrade somewhere for them, you hold onto them as solid bench pieces. JD, for all the people trying to get rid of him, still put up over an .800 OPS and a 126 OPS+ all while dealing with a hand injury most of the season. That's a good bench piece, at worst. Dom put up over a .900 OPS off the bench this year. That's valuable at his current cost.

WC

sandy vagina
Super Moderator
off season plan:

1 - Fire Sandy
2 - Hire someone smarter and better
3 - Let them choose baseball players
4 - win world series