Your Off-Season Plan

What’s your off-season approach?

• Total voters

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Anyone even consider that McNeil was hurt most of the year? Or that Dom may be another Hojo type? Most of you would have bailed on Johnson after his '90 season. He went from a .928 OPS and 169 OPS+ in 89 to a .753 OPS and a 106 OPS+ in 1990. Those of us old enough to remember him know he was inexplicably good one year and average the next. Not saying give Dom a starting job but to cut ties with a guy under team control after a down year is just terrible asset management.
Dom was definitely playing injured this year and it could explain why the guy had no power behind his swing at all...even Dom's first couple of years with the sleep apnea, he was still putting up a near .200 ISO...his ISO this season was .119...I'm not saying let's run him back out there as an everyday OFer, but he's not as bad as he hit this year...once he gets the full offseason to rest his groin injury, he might see some power return

McNeil, who knows....it feels like the league has just figured him out...he needs to do some homework...it doesn't seem like it was anything physically wrong with him because he was hitting the ball hard, but it was always right at people

OrangeReign

This is about the best I can come up with without making it unrealistic:
-keep all of our free agents
- shed diaz+walker salary
- add another boring #3 type starter+ cheap stopgap 3b with that saved $^.
-Make a few small bullpen moves but mostly plug gaps with megill/in house options to save $ since we cant have endless payroll.
- get the DH and sign Nelson Cruz

OrangeReign

Even that plan is probably close to 300 million which may be unrealistic. I want a bunch of new faces in lineup as much as anybody but it's going to be tough with how expensive this group is already.

Longrod Von Schlongpepper

Little dick energy Opto aka NYRomy the Clown
And I can't vote on this poll because I'm somewhere in between incremental and drunken sailor which is what I think will happen. I've liked the idea of Megill in the pen since I first saw him battle out of a jam without flinching. If the plan is to get rid of Diaz then trade him for minor league depth. Could definitely get a few solid pieces for him from a team that missed out on signing Kimbrel and Iglesias as they are the only closers of note that will be a free agent. Jansen isn't going anywhere, Rosenthal is toast, and Brad Hand is burnt toast.

For pen help I would look to the Pirates who have two $10 million club options for Vazquez. Might be too expensive for them. Bring him in, bring back Loup and let those two, Megill, and May tag team the closer role.

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
And I can't vote on this poll because I'm somewhere in between incremental and drunken sailor which is what I think will happen. I've liked the idea of Megill in the pen since I first saw him battle out of a jam without flinching. If the plan is to get rid of Diaz then trade him for minor league depth. Could definitely get a few solid pieces for him from a team that missed out on signing Kimbrel and Iglesias as they are the only closers of note that will be a free agent. Jansen isn't going anywhere, Rosenthal is toast, and Brad Hand is burnt toast.

For pen help I would look to the Pirates who have two $10 million club options for Vazquez. Might be too expensive for them. Bring him in, bring back Loup and let those two, Megill, and May tag team the closer role.

Vazquez??? He hasn't even played since 2019 :confused:

Vazquez??? :confused:

D'oh! I knew there was a reason his name hadn't been mentioned lol. I was just looking at potential free agents on Spotrac. Well, then, fuck that guy.

BennySammy

hahaha

but speaking of relievers that we shouldn't go after, Roberto Osuna is a name that I wish we could go after...he dominated in the Mexican league this year as well...if only he wasn't such a piece of shit

nyrfan0815

Jeff Wilpon
Let's just go through the free agents and see who we can actually go after...I'll use fangraphs model of ranking them by 2021 WAR

1. Marcus Semien: Will likely cost a first round pick for us and will get Baez type money. I'd rather get Baez
2. Carlos Correa: Will likely cost a first round pick and will probably get a $300+ mil contract. I'd love to get him, but it'll be tough
3. Starling Marte: Won't cost a first round pick, but I feel like he's not going to be worth the money he'd get paid
4. Max Scherzer: Won't cost a first round pick, but I don't think he'd want to come to the Mets
5. Carlos Rodon: Will most likely stay with the White Sox
6. Kevin Gausman: Will most likely stay with the Giants(Won't cost a first round pick though)
7. Freddie Freeman: Will cost a first round pick almost and we'd have to hope he'd want to leave the Braves. We could only go after him if we're sure there's a DH, but he should be our #1 target if he hits free agency
8. Robbie Ray: Will cost a first round pick and will probably cost more than Stroman
9. Eduardo Rodriguez: No idea he had such a good season, but he'll probably re-sign in Boston
10. Corey Seager: Dodgers will likely offer the QO, but I don't think they heavily pursue Seager when they already have Trea Turner, Gavin Lux and Justin Turner. He'd be a nice get for the Mets though

Some other notables not in the top 10:

Javier Baez: I'm thinking we re-sign him
Marcus Stroman: I think we re-sign him as well
Chris Taylor: Can play both 3rd base and CF
Mark Canha: If there's a DH in the NL, he might be a good option
Jon Gray: One of the more underrated SPs on the market, but he is really good. Unfortunately he would likely cost us a first round pick, so it hurts his value for us. Every other team can sign him without giving up a first round pick
Jonathan Villar: If he's willing to play the same role he played for us this year, we should definitely consider signing him. I just think some team would offer him more money. It just sucks if we lose him because he's not good enough to give a QO to
We got completely fucked with that Rocker pick

amazin port

Refugee
I want a CF and a 3rd baseman as top priority, but I'd rather sign a short term answer at 3rd and make a trade if we want a long term option...with Vientos, Baty and Mauricio all sitting there, I'd rather give them a chance at taking the spot or trading them to get someone who would be a solid piece...Jose Ramirez would be the perfect guy to make a trade for, but the Guardians will exercise that option at like a third of his actual value...our only chance for Ramirez is him being completely disgruntled in Cleveland and he forces a trade like Donaldson did with the A's
If you're looking at a short term 3B, Bryant fits the bill perfectly. We get the year to see whether M/B/V are able to step up at third or are better suited at COF (or maybe CF if Mauricio's range is that good).....either way Bryant is flexible to accommodate.

Ramirez, does work but they the Guardian's arent going to be shafted twice, it'll cost Alverez ++ and that's not happening.

Jose Ramirez shouldn't even be brought up. Cleveland would be dumb to think about trading him and that contract. He's not going anywhere.
Yeah, they need a face of the Guardians to start next year. Can't roll out a new team name with a bunch of scrubs on the field.

BennySammy

Jose Ramirez shouldn't even be brought up. Cleveland would be dumb to think about trading him and that contract. He's not going anywhere.
yeah, like I said earlier, the only way Ramirez becomes available is if he forces the issue...Cleveland would have zero desire to trade him otherwise...I mentioned Josh Donaldson basically forcing the A's to trade him when they weren't paying him enough...I don't know if Ramirez has that personality though

BennySammy

Yeah, they need a face of the Guardians to start next year. Can't roll out a new team name with a bunch of scrubs on the field.
they have Shane Bieber, but yeah...Cleveland already had to trade Lindor to us...if they have to trade Ramirez also, their fanbase would be pissed off

but maybe this would convince Antonetti to leave Cleveland and work for the Mets

BennySammy

wow, just looked up Antonetti's wiki page to see how long he's been in Cleveland and he's been there since 1999! dude is only 46 years old and has been with Cleveland for 22 years

thewatcher4646

The whole point of this team was to quickly build around the "pitcher of the ages". Well the "pitcher of the ages" turns out is very fragile. Not somebody to build a team around. Whoever Cohen hires as GM, has to be given time to rebuild the team. Like 5 years. Fans have to be patient. Maybe 4 years if the new GM is some genius. But first the stench of the Wilpons has to be removed. Think of this years team as comparable to the 1980 or 81 Mets. The future of the team hangs on who Cohen hires as GM.

BennySammy

I really want us to give Verlander a look though.

If he's healthy and we can get him on a reasonable deal that would be fantastic
why are you trying to get all these old people? is your last name Wilpon?

LuvsBBCnews

Ouranus Power Bottom
Plus I said give him a look.

If he's healthy I would absolutely take Justin Verlander, especially since he's been rehabbing with the Astros doctors not ours lol

BennySammy

The whole point of this team was to quickly build around the "pitcher of the ages". Well the "pitcher of the ages" turns out is very fragile. Not somebody to build a team around. Whoever Cohen hires as GM, has to be given time to rebuild the team. Like 5 years. Fans have to be patient. Maybe 4 years if the new GM is some genius. But first the stench of the Wilpons has to be removed. Think of this years team as comparable to the 1980 or 81 Mets. The future of the team hangs on who Cohen hires as GM.

deGrom is not fragile...he got injured swinging a bat and dealt with that injury all season as it became other things

as for a 5 year rebuild, the Mets didn't sign Francisco Lindor to a 10 year deal to spend the first 5 years of that deal rebuilding

doom

Refugee
I would like to bring Familia back. He was pretty solid and should be cheaper than Diaz who I have no problem jettisoning

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
yeah, like I said earlier, the only way Ramirez becomes available is if he forces the issue...Cleveland would have zero desire to trade him otherwise...I mentioned Josh Donaldson basically forcing the A's to trade him when they weren't paying him enough...I don't know if Ramirez has that personality though
the situations aren't comparable between Donaldson and Ramirez. Jose Ramirez signed his contract with Cleveland, he has no one to blame but himself and his agent. Donaldson's situation was over salary arbitration and the A's not wanting to pay him due to his super 2 status.

BennySammy

Plus I said give him a look.

If he's healthy I would absolutely take Justin Verlander, especially since he's been rehabbing with the Astros doctors not ours lol
you go after guys like Verlander as a final piece to a championship team...the Mets are already flooded with question marks at SP...why would we try to add another one?