Your Off-Season Plan

What’s your off-season approach?

• Total voters

LuvsBBCnews

Ouranus Power Bottom
you go after guys like Verlander as a final piece to a championship team...the Mets are already flooded with question marks at SP...why would we try to add another one?
If we are spending money on Stro and giving Thor the QO who else are we getting at SP? Verlander offers upside and will be cheaper.

LuvsBBCnews

Ouranus Power Bottom
A rotation of:

Jake
Verlander
Stro
Thor
Walker

with McGill, Luchessi, and Peterson as depth is sexy. I'd also look into Cueto or someone like that if he's cheap and move Walker into a swing role

Longrod Von Schlongpepper

Little dick energy Opto aka NYRomy the Clown
The whole point of this team was to quickly build around the "pitcher of the ages". Well the "pitcher of the ages" turns out is very fragile. Not somebody to build a team around. Whoever Cohen hires as GM, has to be given time to rebuild the team. Like 5 years. Fans have to be patient. Maybe 4 years if the new GM is some genius. But first the stench of the Wilpons has to be removed. Think of this years team as comparable to the 1980 or 81 Mets. The future of the team hangs on who Cohen hires as GM.
Fuck outta here with this stupidity

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
the situations aren't comparable between Donaldson and Ramirez. Jose Ramirez signed his contract with Cleveland, he has no one to blame but himself and his agent. Donaldson's situation was over salary arbitration and the A's not wanting to pay him due to his super 2 status.
Ramirez' situation is something that we haven't seen before....his contract is technically done, but the team can hold on to him because they have options...usually the options at the end of a player's contract is to give them more money than they'd get if they went to free agency....Ramirez' options are to pay him way less than what he'd get in free agency....I understand it's his own fault, but that doesn't mean he won't be upset about it...it'll be interesting to see how it plays out

and like I said, the only way the Mets would have a chance to get Ramirez is if he forces Cleveland's hand...not saying it will happen, but that would be the only way they'd trade him

Ikeyman3

Refugee
A rotation of:

Jake
Verlander
Stro
Thor
Walker

with McGill, Luchessi, and Peterson as depth is sexy. I'd also look into Cueto or someone like that if he's cheap and move Walker into a swing role
Carrasco will be on the team next year he's making $12M. Your rotation above is probably $150M itself. Jake, Carrasco and Walker will be in the rotation next year and I don't know if they bring back Noah AND Stroman.

LuvsBBCnews

Ouranus Power Bottom
IDK if we can go into the year hoping that all of the following happen:

Carrasco's season was a fluke and he'll bounce back at 35
Thor will be what he was
Jake is healthy
Walker was tired and will be close to what he was in the first half

Yes, Verlander is also a question mark but now we have another body that could pan out, raising the odds the rotation is good.

LuvsBBCnews

Ouranus Power Bottom
Look at the Dodgers. They've pitched the following pitchers at least 10 starts this year

Buhler
Urias
Kershaw
Bauer
Scherzer
Gonsolin
Price

They paid Price 32 mil to be their swing guy. I don't want to hear we can't get Verlander on a one year deal if healthy especially if his market is cheaper due to injury

Remember the Maine

Veteran Refugee
Oh, I get it. This year was extremely frustrating. If it weren't for a terrible division we would have been buried by June. But any year that you use 19 starting pitchers can't be one to blame on poor performance alone. The offense shit the bed this year. Can't just jettison everyone because then you lose the one valuable thing about some of them, their cost and control.

Need to go into next year under the assumption that guys like Dom, JD, and McNeil are not guaranteed anything. But unless you can get an upgrade somewhere for them, you hold onto them as solid bench pieces. JD, for all the people trying to get rid of him, still put up over an .800 OPS and a 126 OPS+ all while dealing with a hand injury most of the season. That's a good bench piece, at worst. Dom put up over a .900 OPS off the bench this year. That's valuable at his current cost.
The thing is, in the right situation, those guys can potentially be trade chips in lieu of having to gut our entire farm

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
The thing is, in the right situation, those guys can potentially be trade chips in lieu of having to gut our entire farm
What can we realistically expect in return for any of those guys coming off the years they had. Doesn't make much sense to trade them when their value is at it's lowest.

amazin port

Refugee
Look at the Dodgers. They've pitched the following pitchers at least 10 starts this year

Buhler
Urias
Kershaw
Bauer
Scherzer
Gonsolin
Price

They paid Price 32 mil to be their swing guy. I don't want to hear we can't get Verlander on a one year deal if healthy especially if his market is cheaper due to injury
Doesn't Boston pay $16m of Price's salary?.....and don't know who's paying for Scherzer's two months.

Need also to take into account that: Buehler, Urias and Gonsolin combined for nearly 450 innings, of under 3:00 ERA for a combined salary of under $8m.

This isnt a take on getting Verlander or not, it's more pointing out how the Dodgers dont just spend on FA's, it's supplemented by producing cheaper prospects.

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian
Out of curiosity I had to look up the Scherzer salary situation for this year

It should be noted Scherzer is not being paid a salary this season. His entire $35 million salary is deferred -- Scherzer will receive $15 million in deferred salary each year from 2022-28 -- and the Dodgers are assuming the prorated portion of this year's salary, according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand. That won't be paid until sometime far down the road, however. The Nationals will still reportedly owe Scherzer the "vast majority" of the deferred money.

Ford Prefect

Refugee
Is this just my battered Mets-fandom talking, or should we seriously consider the possibility that deGrom is no longer going to be able to pitch like a god?

METS LEGIONS

It’s good to be the fantasy drama queen
Stro 5yr
Thor 5yr
Baez 5yr
Bring them back.
I would bring back hill so he and Carrasco can be the lefty righty version of Darren Oliver for next yr team. Thor and jake gonna be on innings limit or god forbid jake misses time you can mix and match these 2 for starts.

Spot starter long man vultures.
Keeps magill Peterson and rest in AAA as they need more seasoning down there.

I would go 4 or 5yrs on robie ray he pitched well in the American league east with all them sandboxes and gives us a nice 5 man rotation.

3b I want on short 3yr deal Escobar from brewcrew not only can he play 3b but all 4 infield positions and switch hitter.
If brewcrew dont bring back garcia I sign him too to 3 yr deal for cof.

One or 2 of davis dom and white privilege most be traded for other needs.

I definitely bring villar back on short 2 yr deal and overpay him. His versatility is definitely needed here.
Conforto I would give QO and hope he leaves.

Need 2 more pen arms Diaz and Castro need to be dealt as well.

This met team is flawed construction of sandy and Brodie pieces.
I can compete to win division with this roster if these moves are made.
Bryant I also would check on and see how much it cost.

As for farm its top heavy with somewhat elite prospects. And light on depth players.

Next POBO gonna need 3 drafts or 1 trade of high profile player to restock the depth needed to build out entire farm to become a feeder system.