2022 HOF

Paddle Head

Friend of E$
if you have guys like ozzie smith in for being the best defensively of all time, how can you not put in andruw jones? he was arguably the best defensive CF'er of all time, and he could actually hit, which ozzie couldn't.
Ozzie was better for longer. He’s by far the best defensive player ever. Jones was great for a time, just again by standards of the HOF it’s a comparatively very short window:

tejdog1

A Tej
Ozzie was better for longer. He’s by far the best defensive player ever. Jones was great for a time, just again by standards of the HOF it’s a comparatively very short window:
1641260508614.png
Ozzie Smith 11 year peak: .272/.354/.344/.698, 100 wRC+, 54.1 WAR (1625 games)

1641260684371.png
Andruw Jones 9 year peak: .270/.347/.513/.860, 119 wRC+, 57.3 WAR (1423 games)

AllWrightNow

Refugee
I wouldn't have an issue with Andruw in the HOF, it feels as if he stayed around too long and had too many shitty years after 2006. If he'd retired after 2007 he may well be in already.

The HOF is as much about longevity as it is about peak performance. It’s what separates Ozzie smith from Andruw Jones. If he didn’t stop juicing and let himself get fat he’d be a first ballot HOFer. His loss.

That doesn't make sense. What if a guy was so bad nobody would sign him so he could not post terrible years on the back end of the career? The result is the same, without accumulating some bad numbers on the back end.

Not a player's fault teams continue to employ them. His case shouldn't be better if he had gotten cut and had to finish out in Mexico or Japan.

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
The longevity years are the key when the overall numbers aren't there otherwise. If a guy puts up overall HOF numbers in his 20s, what happens in his 30s shouldn't matter that much.

For Andruw his 20s numbers are borderline. 63 WAR is solid but would look a lot better at 70+. 11th in JAWS among CFers is an argument in favor of him getting support. Only eligible guy higher than that who didn't get in is Lofton.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
baseball is such a weird sport...like I mentioned before, what other major sport tries to keep their best players out of the HOF while sullying all they've accomplished in the sport by saying it's just steroids? like NFL and NBA, do you honestly think their best players never took any PEDs? you think Tom Brady and LeBron James are 100% natural? but those sports will not downplay the accomplishments of their stars like MLB does...does anyone honestly think Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens were only good because of PEDs? but the writers want us to think so and want to keep them out of the HOF

WallyWorld

I have a weird “video game opinion” that if you get caught cheating ….then your stats go back down to zero…and then You have to work the stats up again. I realize it’s stupid, and that talents like Bonds and Clemons should absolutely be in the Hall. I just personally hate that they needed it to get in - they didn’t…at all.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
yeah, it's hypocrisy that the writers don't vote players in because "no one is bigger than baseball" but they always make their choices for self-serving purposes and to show that they're the ones that are bigger than baseball

brewcrew

LEGIONS' Bitch Boy
Baseball fans just need to stop caring about the hall of fame. What a joke.

If Rob Manfred wanted to do something easy and not terrible, he would make an announcement that since the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown is not fulfilling it's responsibility of adequately celebrating the best players in baseball history, MLB is creating its own official hall of fame and the sportswriters can go to hell.

AllWrightNow

Refugee
It is embarrassing that some writers complain about the ten person limit and say they should be able to vote for more while others vote zero or have a throwaway vote out of 'protest'.

There is no perfect system though, as stingy as the writers can be is how loose the veterans committees are. I don't think fans would be any more responsible either.