Francisco Alvarez

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian and Serial Pooper
#3 on BA's Hot Sheet this week

Team: Short-season Kingsport (Appalachian)

Why He’s Here: .563/.650/.813 (9-for-16), 6 R, 1 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 BB, 5 SO

The Scoop: Alvarez skipped the Dominican Summer League and made his debut stateside with a bang. Alvarez’s hit tool is advanced, and he has worked on a five-game hit streak this week with an RBI in three consecutive games. It’s an aggressive assignment, but Alvarez is taking it in stride and showing why he was one of the premier 2018 international signings. (JC)

arjohn2.0

Veteran Refugee
Also of note Ali Sanchez is quietly having a solid year in AA.

We all know he can catch and has a hose, but he is also hitting .291 with a respectable OPS of .703.

Catchers take forever, Sanchez is still only 22.

METS LEGIONS

It’s good to be the fantasy drama queen
Omar loves both these kids thinks Sanchez can be a poor man Benito Santiago with better framing skills

Sandyman11

So irritated looking at the box score of Kingsport and one of Baty or Alvarez is benched. Play these damn kids!

nexxt

The Ultimate Contrarian and Serial Pooper
Mike (Virginia):

Thoughts on Francisco Alvarez? I know its early, but he seems to be living up to the hit tool projections so far.

Justin Coleman: He has been great. First division catcher type of upside with feel to hit and power as well.

code

Happier than the Pillsbury Doughboy on his way to
Brodie is getting the itchy trigger finger...

arjohn2.0

Veteran Refugee
Think it was in BA that I read his hands and forearms are so strong his teammates call him “The Thing”.

Also apparently his family owns a construction business and this dude was hauling 90 lb bags of concrete when he was 10.

WaitTillNextSeason

Veteran Refugee
Cuz catching will wear him down

If the bat is elite, find another position

Name any elite offensive catchers now?

Gary and Contreras?
What position? 1B, corner OF, maybe 3B?

You don't worry about moving a 17-year-old prospect off C because you're afraid of him wearing down when he's 30. Cross your fingers for now and hope you have something special.

Everyone knew Harper wasn't a catcher. The Nationals didn't even draft him as a catcher.

If we're comparing Alvarez's bat already to Harper's then I don't see why Alvarez can't be the next Piazza
Because catching provides lots of wear and tear and will put lots of stress on his legs

If you have an elite bat, I think you want it from behind out of the plate

In this day and age of crazy offense, not a single catcher with 250 PA has a OPS over .900

Also pretty telling that only 4 catchers currently qualify for league leaders

They simply don’t play enough, so by having an elite bat be a catcher you’re limiting his plate appearances simply because he’ll need more time off

Most games Mike ever played was 152

And as soon as he reached 30, never over 140

lmillz

#Refugee
Because catching provides lots of wear and tear and will put lots of stress on his legs

If you have an elite bat, I think you want it from behind out of the plate

In this day and age of crazy offense, not a single catcher with 250 PA has a OPS over .900
Coincidence that your cutoff is 250 when Garver has 235 PA and a .978 OPS?

blueNorange

Woke and Broke
yes lets move a guy that profiles to be fat when he matures to another position.

he's 5'11" and 220 as a 17 year old, he's going to be have a ramos type body.

Fred Snow

Juan Negra
Maybe by the time he makes it to the majors the NL will have a DH so we can use him there when he needs a breather from catching and Cano will be dead.