How much do you think it will cost to keep deGrom?

amazin port

Refugee
If we go 6/7 years are we able to guarantee him the money on retirement (without if effecting Luxury Tax in the later years)?

MaghullMets

He just simply doesn’t go, no way Steve is letting him go.

$43m a year for Scherzer, there’s no way Steve is giving deGrom a bad deal. The only way deGrom leaves is if he chooses to leave, and let’s face, why would you want to?

Joey Dirt

Hopes Community College Can Compare
The entire situation last year was a complete mystery and the Mets weren’t being straight forward with what was going on

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
The entire situation last year was a complete mystery and the Mets weren’t being straight forward with what was going on
This was a new one even for the Mets

1641915528023.png

ager4evr

Refugee
Assuming 32-33 starts + playoffs at full health?
You kinda have to give him 4-6 years at 37-42 mil per. It's gross and the odds are at least 70/30 it ends up going horribly, but... I mean... are we, or are we not a win now team? If we're a win now team out to 2026 or 2027... gotta keep him at all costs.
If we do actually go up tp 400M in payroll and win a championship, are you going to be fully happy and satisfied? Let's say we beat Tampa Bay with a $100-million payroll. Would the win feel a bit cheap in a way? A win is a win and I will be happy with witnessing my team win a championship for the first time as a fan but I think there will be a bit of reservation in my mind.

ager4evr

Refugee
We need to pay him more per yeae and longer so 5-225 sounds like what we need to pay to keep him. I do not think there are any Mets fan, who would say no to that.

Longrod Von Schlongpepper

Little dick energy Opto aka NYRomy the Clown
If we do actually go up tp 400M in payroll and win a championship, are you going to be fully happy and satisfied? Let's say we beat Tampa Bay with a $100-million payroll. Would the win feel a bit cheap in a way? A win is a win and I will be happy with witnessing my team win a championship for the first time as a fan but I think there will be a bit of reservation in my mind.
I won't feel one ounce of bad in that scenario. Tampa's owner can afford to spend and chooses not to. Fuck em, we're champs!

MaghullMets

I’ll ask you this, when we walk off win the World Series.

We’ve been the Cheap Wilpon Mets, now it’s time to match the owners ambitions and win a few championships. Who cares if we’ve got a monetary advantage…did the Dodgers care? Did the Yankees?

Joey Dirt

We’re not gonna have an infinity payroll

having DeGrom scherzer and Lindor making so much money is gonna hurt his after this year

especially trying to find money in the payroll for Nimmo, raises for Alonso; McNeil

Joey Dirt

Even if we consistently have a 300 mil payroll which seems a little extreme

paying DeGrom and scherzer 100 mil of that 300 mil at advanced ages… oof

ciarlatano

Refugee
We’re not gonna have an infinity payroll

having DeGrom scherzer and Lindor making so much money is gonna hurt his after this year

especially trying to find money in the payroll for Nimmo, raises for Alonso; McNeil
I thought the consensus is that McNeil would be traded due to being a whiteoid? :keith!

I'm with you on this one, we are going to need salary space to keep him and pay him. I think he has a big bounce back this year.

TMiller86

gob1gred / fat neckbeard loser
Even if we consistently have a 300 mil payroll which seems a little extreme

paying DeGrom and scherzer 100 mil of that 300 mil at advanced ages… oof
I tend to agree, but I do think Cohen will probably start off around $300 million or so for 2022 and that number will slowly creep up over the next few years. Also, Cohen knows what you just spelled out and is prepared to write off the losses if it comes to that. I don't see a $300 million payroll being in doubt at all. The question is which year we will hit $400 million.