How should we blow it up?

Ford Prefect

Smarter Than Everyone Else
so we have our own 1st round pick, the rocker compensation pick which is also a 1st rounder, a 2nd round pick for syndergaard, and presumably a 2nd rounder for conforto?

why are they 2nd rounders & not 1st/sandwich picks as compensation for our guys? Did they change those rules?

AppleStrudel

if stroman walks too then yeah just blow it the fuck up, send deGrom to seattle or toronto and loot their farm systems

bigapple26

Big Apple Bitch
let's have a little fun b/c nothing about the Mets is fun.

1. Put deGrom on the block. Hope his arm doesn't keep teams from offering the world. Get an Alex Verdugo type building block guy and a prospect haul back.
2. Give Pete a "long term" deal now if he's open to it. I just see him being their guy... but also, offer Pete to anyone who wants to overpay if possible. (No one will want to)
3. Let Baez and Stro walk.
4. Slot McNeil, Dom and JD into the lineup and hope they either prove they can be guys who stick a little longer, or boost value.
5. Bite the bullet and trade Nimmo now. He never plays full seasons. A smart organization will give you a big prospect for him.
6. No idea what to do with Carrasco. Probably just need him to be the "ace."
7. Tell Lindor to shut up and be patient. Maybe he'll take a "leadership" role and lead us to a title in 4 years.
8. Eat Arby's

Plan for a reletively short rebuild b/c by year 3, maybe you can start blowing your load on Free Agents again.
I’m ok with all of these ideas except #1. Fuck that. It’ll be just like the Red Sox trading Mookie.

You > Valent

Future POBO
I’m ok with all of these ideas except #1. Fuck that. It’ll be just like the Red Sox trading Mookie.
except Mookie is a top 5 offensive player and Jacob deGrom is a pitcher in his 30s who just got shut down half a season with arm issues. Trading a Betts is worse than trading a deGrom... but also, the Sox didn't even flop that bad post trade. if Jake is fine and pitches like Jake, good for him, i hope he wins. i wouldn't be shocked if he's already plan his exit here anyway

bigapple26

Big Apple Bitch
We already lost Thor and are close to losing Stroman. Adding Jake to that list would probably guarantee us having the worst starting rotation in all of baseball for the next few years. We are still a team that is a few pieces away from being a serious contender. Trading our best player now would be stupid imo.

You > Valent

Future POBO
you get back a top pitching prospect and you have one crappy yet probably fun year in the rebuilding process. and then maybe "richest owner in baseball" can overpay a new ace or 2. perfect world you "overpay" Jake, but if this offseason trends downward, wtf is he staying here for? might as well cash him in

bigapple26

Big Apple Bitch
And bringing up age with Jake is also dumb. Every time we expect him to slow down and show signs of his age, he only does the opposite and gets better. So what if he was injured? It wasn’t TJS. He’ll be fine.

bigapple26

Big Apple Bitch
you get back a top pitching prospect and you have one crappy yet probably fun year in the rebuilding process. and then maybe "richest owner in baseball" can overpay a new ace or 2. perfect world you "overpay" Jake, but if this offseason trends downward, wtf is he staying here for? might as well cash him in
The off-season trend all depends on what Cohen does. You and I both know it takes more than a year for a prospect to really fulfill their potential. Even if it’s a highly rated prospect. And again, why are even talking about prospects when we are a few major pieces away from being a contender? What Steve needs to do is get off his ass and splash some fucking cash on free agents. Not trade the best player we’ve had in decades.

bigapple26

Big Apple Bitch
It makes no sense to say Steve should overpay for an ace when we have the best ace in the sport with much bigger needs in other positions

You > Valent

Future POBO
It makes no sense to say Steve should overpay for an ace when we have the best ace in the sport with much bigger needs in other positions
when you can potentially trade said Ace for a king's ransom, it does. either you do that or he opts out and they you have to pay him the world into his late 30s, which is always a massive risk

You > Valent

Future POBO
i'm sure we'll just get a hodge podge of solid guys to put around Jake, he'll have 1 more Jake year, we'll win 86 and miss the playoffs, then we'll give him a huge extension and then RIP

bigapple26

Big Apple Bitch
when you can potentially trade said Ace for a king's ransom, it does. either you do that or he opts out and they you have to pay him the world into his late 30s, which is always a massive risk
Why do we have to subtract to add if we already have the tools to just add?

bigapple26

Big Apple Bitch
If this king’s ransom is something equivalent to getting Trout and Rendon as a return, then I might take it.

AppleStrudel

i'm sure we'll just get a hodge podge of solid guys to put around Jake, he'll have 1 more Jake year, we'll win 86 and miss the playoffs, then we'll give him a huge extension and then RIP
I would be thrilled with 86 wins at this point
right now this is a 73-75 win team

GrittyandGutty

Politics Pelf
i can't remember a time I've been less excited about an off-season.

i was more excited when Frank Francisco types were our big off-season moves, and then we'd pray in march we could get a michael bourn or stephen drew.

we're gonna spend a shit ton of money this off-season, but I still can't get myself to be all that excited about it. last years team took so much out of me with how disappointing a bunch of our 'core' players performed.

re-signing Baez or signing Bryant doesn't excite me. we're not signing Correa. none of the starters besides scherzer excite me(and he's not coming here).

wake me up on opening and play good baseball. that's when I'll get excited again about the Mets.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
If I'm blowing it up, I'm starting by trading Lindor...unfortunately, we'd either have to eat a ton of his salary or we'd have to get nothing for him....it's kinda funny that we gave him $340 mil, but we'd have to pay other teams to take him off our hands....really figured out his value!

You > Valent

Future POBO
the rebuild would be around Lindor. he'd have to suck it up for a couple years.

my plan was brilliant. Eppler already called me. fucker left a 2 minute voicemail, so i haven't returned his call yet. Also mentioned that he likes to go by "Will," but everyone just calls him Billy and he's pretty sick of it.

BennySammy

Parents should have arranged for deodorant instead
Lindor is not gonna be a problem for this team
not saying Lindor would not be good, but $340 mil over the next 10 years good? do you think we'll get 45 WAR from him over the next 10 years? he has 31 WAR through his first 7 years, and it looks like his best years may already be behind him

we'll see...I just feel like we might've been able to get Stroman, Baez and maybe someone like Marcus Semien for around $340 mil in total money...Lindor really has to produce or he's completely fucking us

METS LEGIONS

It’s good to be the fantasy drama queen
Lindor cant be traded since his new extension hasnt started yet I believe per the cba he cant be traded either until july 31 or when 2022 season end then he eligible to be traded it one of these nit sure which

You > Valent

Future POBO
not saying Lindor would not be good, but $340 mil over the next 10 years good? do you think we'll get 45 WAR from him over the next 10 years? he has 31 WAR through his first 7 years, and it looks like his best years may already be behind him

we'll see...I just feel like we might've been able to get Stroman, Baez and maybe someone like Marcus Semien for around $340 mil in total money...Lindor really has to produce or he's completely fucking us
i mean, it's a lot of money, but i don't really give a shit if he comes up short on the madeup "war per dollar" metric. if he even gives us like $280m worth of value it shouldn't have a major impact. most young free agents of his ilk are gonna be signing $300 million deals moving forward. i'm happy with the guy we got even if he had a rough go in his first year. at some point once we rebuild (Will's words not mine) we'll have freed up more than enough money to start signing more big dogs.