Mark Vientos

WaitTillNextSeason

Veteran Refugee
At the very least it adds to depth for our team's big weakness when we have a number of guys who really struggle against lefties:
Vogelbach: .130/.259/.145 (.404) 81PA [Career: .134/.257/.226 (.483) 304PA]
Guillorme: .230/.321/.284 (.605) 84PA [Career: .236/.308/.271 (.579) 160PA]
Naquin: .180/.196/.340 (.536) 52PA [Career: .211/.273/.342 (.615) 275PA]

Unless there's another option to hit lefties who can play D.
I mean that guy is Canha

We all repeat "sample size" over and over again for most stats but for some reason we don't apply that logic to platoon splits

Canha isn't a lefty masher but I doubt Vientos is out-producing him this year

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
I mean that guy is Canha

We all repeat "sample size" over and over again for most stats but for some reason we don't apply that logic to platoon splits

Canha isn't a lefty masher but I doubt Vientos is out-producing him this year
Might be smarter to add another option than to cross our fingers and hope for the best that our biggest issue will be fixed without any changes. If Vientos can't OPS over .700 vs lefties, at least we tried.

Of course if McCann could magically hit closer to his career numbers, this would be more of a non-issue.

ABB

Boring Smart Guy
Super Moderator
Buck is gonna want either a pinch runner or a 3rd catcher more than he’s gonna want a 2nd right handed DH.

WaitTillNextSeason

Veteran Refugee
Might be smarter to add another option than to cross our fingers and hope for the best that our biggest issue will be fixed without any changes. If Vientos can't OPS over .700 vs lefties, at least we tried.

Of course if McCann could magically hit closer to his career numbers, this would be more of a non-issue.
I don't think "at least we tried" is really the mentality to have when it comes to deciding whether to call up rookies in the midst of a pennant race

Canha's numbers should be better than they are against lefties. If he can put up his career numbers against lefties the rest of the way, him playing against lefties is probably better for our roster than Vientos considering defense

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
We could go with what has gotten us to below average production against lefties for 5 months or try a guy who has a 1.141OPS in 121PA in AAA vs lefties this year for 5 months (understood he doesn't have that history before this season). He's not a scrub prospect and there's been many instances of rookies coming up in September producing regardless of how the rest of their career pans out. Understood the defensive risks, but if he mashes against lefties for the rest of the year, whether he starts or is a righty bat off the bench on a team that is centered on mashing righties, that would help our biggest weakness to date. Feel free to agree to disagree if you're certain he'll suck or won't be good enough to offset defensive ramifications, or think the issues against lefties will sort themselves out in the 6th month of the season and would rather have guys like Michael Perez or Travis Jankowski up.

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
He's hitting the ball like he's mad for getting passed by Baty :mcneilyell

I remember the scouting report from BA actually called out that Baty is annoyed at not being put in the same tier as Alvarez/Baty/Mauricio coming into the year

GrittyandGutty

Politics Pelf
when escobar returns, you'd have to bench canha vs lefties to get him in the lineup.

and then you'd be throwing vientos or ruf in LF.

tough decision.

GrittyandGutty

Politics Pelf
Our offense is fine

Some dude the Yankees have sent down 4 times throwing 3+ scoreless innings against us

They even had the balls to let him finish the game against our offense
7th in ops
2nd in obp
4th in runs scored

those are MLB ranks, not just NL

of course I'd love to see alvarez up. he needs to catch fire though.

Js855

Refugee
7th in ops
2nd in obp
4th in runs scored

those are MLB ranks, not just NL

of course I'd love to see alvarez up. he needs to catch fire though.
I get it but then getting shut down by falter German and montas in the same week? I mean when we score we score in bunches…. But we’re far from consistent.

On top of that our catcher is basically a pitcher at this point with the bat.

GrittyandGutty

Politics Pelf
I get it but then getting shut down by falter German and montas in the same week? I mean when we score we score in bunches…. But we’re far from consistent.

On top of that our catcher is basically a pitcher at this point with the bat.
welcome to every single teams complaint. montas is actually good btw.

the mets recently just had a stretch of scoring 5+ runs in 9 straight cames. that isn't consistent?

we're hard to strike out and we have annoying long at bats and make starters work. idk what magical fairy tale land some of you guys live in, where every moment of the season is roses and the offense is always producing 24/7. maybe you guys think it happens, but it doesn't.

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
It's very rare that we get shut down by righties but it's going to happen occasionally

This team has got to be exhausted as well. They've had 1 day off over the last 4 weeks and have played two doubleheaders during that time.

Daft Punk

Proudly brewing Corona Virus since 2020
It's very rare that we get shut down by righties but it's going to happen occasionally

This team has got to be exhausted as well. They've had 1 day off over the last 4 weeks and have played two doubleheaders during that time.
Pete's mental lapses on defense have made that pretty clear, in my opinion. Having TWO days off in a week while they're at home is huge.

Last edited:

DeenNY31

Board Pycho-logist
We don’t need 3 catchers on the roster, call him up , start him against some lefties

Last edited:

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
This isn't great (Ruf in LF), but it doesn't seem unplayable like Duda bad or anything

1661353427595.png
1661353449106.png

Also figure, Canha, Marte, Nimmo can use a day off every now and then and you might as well give them a day off when we are facing a lefty