Predict our first "big" offseason move

PapaToe

Butthurt Boomer
First SteveCo will have Baez over for dinner followed by tweets at dawn. Soon after he'll massively overpay for Javi with another ridiculous long term contract. After that, Sandy will work with Billy on the finer points of dumpster diving.

MAJERATI

Banned
Super Moderator
The rest of the league really seemed to enjoy the Mets futile exec searches, Steve Cohen needs to just bully them all with his wallet this off-season and set the tone

Jefe

Veteran Refugee
I don’t understand why there’s a general feeling that Mets fans are ok with Stroman leaving. He’s almost a must and needs to happen asap. Especially if Baez comes back and we get a Bryant type at 3B, which would favor well for Stroman compared to JD.

Buddy Lembeck

MR Historian
Super Moderator
I don’t understand why there’s a general feeling that Mets fans are ok with Stroman leaving. He’s almost a must and needs to happen asap. Especially if Baez comes back and we get a Bryant type at 3B, which would favor well for Stroman compared to JD.
Depends on who we replace him with. I can live with us replacing him with someone like Gray. Or if we somehow can convince Scherzer to come.
Kershaw would be acceptable as well.

Jefe

Veteran Refugee
Depends on who we replace him with. I can live with us replacing him with someone like Gray. Or if we somehow can convince Scherzer to come.
Kershaw would be acceptable as well.
I think there’s very little chance either leaves the state of California. And I’d be more comfortable with Gray as our #2 SP signing this off-season.

Why would anyone want a guy that just had to sit out the latter part of the post season because of a dead arm?

Scherzer is a first ballot HOF but he has waaaay too much mileage on his arm. Same with Kershaw. Hard passes on both.

Ford Prefect

Smarter Than Everyone Else
This is why I don't understand just WTF direction this club is going.

By all accounts our farm system is not a strength. Our current roster is clearly not a strength. We don't want to sign players who will cost us a compensation pick. Yet we want to spend spend spend so we can compete.

These things aren't compatible with one another. We don't have much of value to trade (that we're willing to trade at least) and while the $ isn't an issue, we are cutting out a huge portion of the FA market.

I don't see anyway we reach our goal of being a contender without changing our tactics. And changing our tactics (trading what little we have, giving up picks) is not in the best interest of the long term health of the team/franchise.

Eventhough I'll be excited at our moves as they happen, I still firmly believe that by far the best thing this organization can do now is to rebuild. The circumstances we are currently facing and our desire to win now are not compatible at all.