Topps Loses MLB

Willie777

Singing Country Music for God and America
Fanatics will start exclusively making MLB cards with the full licence when the deal Topps ends in a few years.

It's a huge sea change especially since the world of collectables has never been hotter.

Willie777

have a feeling Fanatics will be up buying Topps before this takes effect. So we will still have Topps cards
Topps was expected to go public at a 1.6 billion valuation...that's off the table now apparently.

therapist

Out on parole
Fanatics has successfully killed the sports jersey market, set to do the same with cards

It’s obviously a way for these leagues to streamline processes and make everything cheaper, all while giving the customer an inferior product at the same if not higher price point. Fuck them.

Everything new really does suck.

RBarchetta

Refugee
I just don't get the whole sports memorabilia thing at these levels. Just seems so ... Tulip market bubble-esque.

therapist

Out on parole
If you held a majestic replica and fanatics jersey side by side you’d think one is a $30 Chinese knockoff that took 28 weeks to arrive

69MetsFan

Refugee
Card collecting was much better when there was competition amongst the makers. When Topps got exclusive rights, it all started to go downhill.

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
I didn't realize that both the NBAPA and NFLPA also signed up for the same deal with Fanatics. Sounds like the MLB and NBA have struck deals with the new entity, but the NFL technically hasn't yet. Not sure exactly what that means yet, but I think Panini and other companies who were doing baseball cards without team logos/jerseys won't even be able to do that anymore?

Monopoly!

therapist

Out on parole
I’m an avid hockey jersey collector, have all the teams and various styles of each. The replicas from the early 2000’s are almost identical in quality as the on ice counterparts; same patches, materials etc. but now, a replica fanatics jersey looks like one you’d used to find at Walmart that all the poor kids wore.

They’re making it extremely hard for young kids to be as involved with pro sports. I have ticket stubs and programs from my first games, physical memories… now you could attend a game and if you didn’t take any pictures on your phone, you’d never remember going. I honestly have no record of any game I went to from like 2013 on. Would have to go digging through years of screenshots and bs pics on my cloud to even begin.

JPSchmack

HOF'er Who Needs To Retire
Administrator
I’m an avid hockey jersey collector, have all the teams and various styles of each. The replicas from the early 2000’s are almost identical in quality as the on ice counterparts; same patches, materials etc. but now, a replica fanatics jersey looks like one you’d used to find at Walmart that all the poor kids wore.
Yup. My buddy had an authentic NHL jersey when we were in college.... it had a fucking fight strap in the back!

Now my "authentic" Barzal is worse quality than my Ziggy Palffy replica.

therapist

Out on parole
Yup. My buddy had an authentic NHL jersey when we were in college.... it had a fucking fight strap in the back!

Now my "authentic" Barzal is worse quality than my Ziggy Palffy replica.
Yup, replicas the NHL used to sell were actually made in Canada, were top notch in quality.

There’s actually no way to purchase a truly “authentic” NHL adidas jersey now. The ones labeled authentic aren’t the quality worn onice. They’re just higher quality replicas. That also fit like shit. Blouse out like crazy on the hem line. It’s like if they’re made specifically for fans to wear, they could have made them a more tailored cut.

therapist

Out on parole
Is this Fanatics the same company that does the replica jerseys?
Yes. They produce everything including locker room championship gear. So if your team wins it all, instead of getting a cool nike or starter hat, you get one with a stupid fanatics logo. If we could be that lucky I guess who cares but it still sucks.

therapist

Out on parole
Like I told my girl to never ever get me any jersey as a gift bc if she did it might be a fanatics one and i would have to hide my feelings…. Always feel bad for the dudes who have to wear some bullshit their wife got them to a game lookin like a dummy

SnoopRonnyRon

I bought a crystal Stanley Cup with melted ice from the rink after TB won in 2020 for my mom as she’s a Lighting fan. Within 6 months half the water evaporated. That should not have happened for like 15 years. Called Fanatics and they said I needed to call within 30 days. Told them the water wasn’t evaporated after 30 days. Had to send them a bunch of pics but they finally replaced it.

Anesti81

I pulled out a $300 Willie mayes autographed card from a $1 pack of topps in 1997 if i remember correctly, crazy enough on E. tremont ave. Sold it at a bad timing for cards only got $100 for it. I didnt need the money was just getting rid of the 1,000s of cards i had.

robardin

Older East Asian dude seeing both sides
So will Fanatics print more Joe Shlabotnik cards at least, so good ol' Charlie Brown might possibly get his hands on one?

1629735863983.png

1629735845440.png

robardin

Older East Asian dude seeing both sides
So will Fanatics print more Joe Shlabotnik cards at least, so good ol' Charlie Brown might possibly get his hands on one?

View attachment 20487

View attachment 20486
Well if he's never getting a real-life baseball card, getting a page on Baseball Reference is the next best thing, right?

"Shlabotnik was demoted to the minors after having a .004 batting average over an entire season; his one hit was a bloop single with his team comfortably ahead. His greatest achievements included making spectacular plays on routine fly balls and throwing out a runner who had fallen down between first and second."

If you do the math, to hit .004 for an entire season based on a single hit, that means he had to have gotten 250 ABs that year! Or at least 223, to round down to .004 (in 222 ABs, he'd be hitting .0045045).

Why not link him to the 1962 Mets, then? LOL!

Willie777

btw, Fanatics bought TOPPS for $500 million...so I'm guessing they will keep the same branding for baseball cards/

You > Valent

Future POBO
does this dogshit monopoly own Lids now? i tried to buy a hat around christmas and noticed that fanatics and lids had the exact same inventory. Lids used to have great sales all the time, and i don't think i've seen one in years, so that would explain it.

Hire

Veteran Refugee
Administrator
does this dogshit monopoly own Lids now? i tried to buy a hat around christmas and noticed that fanatics and lids had the exact same inventory. Lids used to have great sales all the time, and i don't think i've seen one in years, so that would explain it.
Fanatics owns 50% of Lids